Farmers Weekly Interactive

Commercial Showcattle Society launches at Yorkshire

commercial show society (blog).png

The Commercial Showcattle Society has been officially launched at this week’s Great Yorkshire Show at Harrogate.

Explaining its intentions the Society’s new chairman Jim Hollingsworth said an opportunity had been identified to form a new society to develop and protect the interests of all involved in showing commercial cattle, along with those breeding animals suitable for exhibition and others who organise and stage such events throughout the UK.

“The new society is intended to be a ‘breed society’ for the commercials and will seek to improve their lot whenever the opportunity presents itelf.” The principles of the organisation revolve around the introduction of a recognised format and standard of etiquette for those both judging and exhibiting at commercial events.

Mr Hollingsworth feels there should be some form of training and standardisation in the approach to judging commercial cattle. “We will meet this by arranging seminars and workshops on a continuing basis.”

Committee members:

Vice chairman – Neil Lloyd, Leominster.

Secretary – Nicola Hardy, Nottingham.

Treasurer – Alan Hall, Darlington.

Other directors – Michael Alford, Devon; Richard Bartle, Hereford; Mark Hallam, Derbyshire; Wendy Morgan, South Wales; Ian Pickup, Lancashire; Steven Pristley, Bradford; Phil Sellers, West Yorkshire; Elfed Williams, South Wales.

Anyone requesting a membership form should contact Alan Hall (07525 721306; alanhall13@live.co.uk).

, , ,

35 Responses to Commercial Showcattle Society launches at Yorkshire

1. northernlights April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

hmmmm.
    I think this needs to be watched carefully from afar.

Is anything broken that needs fixed?

Will new ‘cliques’ now replace the usual breed followings.

You only have to see what was going at a few of the ‘Royals’ last year to see the ‘inner wheel’ in operation.

Not for me right now thanks – I’ll plough my own furrow and let everyone else please themselves too.

However I hope I can be proved wrong and that this is turns out to deliver what the ‘spin’ is promising without the rest……

2. Miss Wales April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

HMMM! Interesting one this!

Stockman strikes a chord….!

Have to say that the commercial cattle world is very “clique” and circulates round a small circle of people.

What is the purpose of this new commitee? Do they feel that they’re needs are not being met?

Just watch this space I say….

3. The Colonel April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Sounds like they haven’t got enough to do!

4. Miss Wales April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Scottie,

You should ask yourself why you think that they are treated like second class citizens?? They are SO CLIQUEY and hate anybody doing well! Some of them speak to you as if you were two… and as for competitions if your face fits you win it’s just a sham!

Commercial cattle they are and that’s what they should be classed as. I think that people are losing touch with the very aim of these animals which is to produce meat!

5. Boys Down West April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

This forming of the so called commercial showcattle society has confirmed to many that this clique does exist.
    As you call your selves in the farmers guardian the leading exhibitors and Judges another joke i hope.
    To develop and protect the Interests of all is fine but not just your own as this is the case.
    To get Commercial cattle into the interbreed and groups of 3 is also fine, but don’t you think the other 99% of us should have atleast had a say. All other societys vote for chairmans and vice chairmans but there agen this is no normal society.
    I would like to question the behaviour of one of the committee members at a show in North Wales last May Bank Holiday where he threw his toys out of the pram because he failed to win the group of three.
    All jokes aside go ahead and launch this committee at the Yorkshire Show, but be ready for reality to hit at the Royal Welsh.

6. Jack Ancliffe Frome April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

My contention is that badgers are tangetial to bTB. They the PBI. No one disputes that badgers carry bTB, as do humans. This must have been the case since cattle were domesticated milleni ago. But it doesn’t follow, as the NFU insist but scientists dispute, that a dramatic cull of badgers will lessen the amount of bTB in cattle. More power to the campaign to increase spending on vaccine research and veterinary controls on cattle disease. To target, literally, the badger is harming the merits of the farmers’ case. And heaven knows, farmers need some progress and much more governmental awareness of their plight.

Readers are referred to an article in today’s Observer newspaper July 13, 2008 p19 http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jul/13/ medicalresearch.health

7. moo moo April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

What a load of nonsense! Just a bunch of clowns with too much time on their hands……

What ARE these people on? A society made up of carpet fitters, mini digger operators, two bit butchers, ex coppers & sore losers the list just goes on! I am very surprised at some of the committee members, because I didn’t think that they would be interested in drivel like this!

There seems to be one reoccuring theme? what’s the point of this society? What do they think that they want that’s not provided already? It seems to be that they want to have the right “faces” judging so that they can win! The behaviour of some of the committee members was a disgrace at the royal with their true colours shining through! They are worse than 5 year olds.

These are the people who think that they are the outstanding in their field and that they have got the god given right to tell more experienced people how cattle showing should be done! A little modesty and grace would go a long way.

I have been selling & breeding cattle for the past 30 years. Cattle leave the farm every week of the year & are hung up all over the country, having triumphed in the show ring & also carcase competitions surely people with the day to day expereience of producing cattle to what the market wants have more of an idea than these part timers (well – would you call them even part timers???) of how commercial cattle should be produced. This gives a real punch in the face to the true stockmen & women out there.

Some of these jokers think that by buying an expensive animal that this AUTOMATICALLY gives them the right to win the class. Well, Welcome to the real world! Try doing it the hard way.

This “idea” should be put back into the show box and the lid firmly shut!

8. Kerry Buttriss April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

As a show organiser who has been carefully watching all these comments, i would be keen to hear from people with suggestions for the Commercial classes at the East of England Show, with constructive ideas please!!
    Tell me what you want…
    kbuttriss@eastofengland.org.uk

9. Blue_Grey_Coo_Choir_Meister April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

hold on people, guys fawkes isn’t until November, please keep your powder dry until then.

By the way I have 16 class ‘A’ guaranteed 2012 first prize winning cross-bred embryos that can be implanted specially for the London Olympics if Dwain’s rumours are true (see above).
    If anyone is interested. £6k each, just add your own senseless idiot.

10. dog fox April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Does this bunch of non-farming non-cattle breeding, self appointed collection really think that their ‘Mafia’ style bitter and twisted thoughts would ever have any influence on shows or the farming community? How sad.
    If they are short of work may i suggest they apply to Hilary Benn care of DEFRA !!

11. J.A. HOLLINGSWORTH April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Commercial Showcattle Society – It is now a month since the launch of the Commercial Showcattle Society. I have watched with interest the views of the subscribers to this site during that period. It is obvious that the Society has concerns to be addressed and all have been noted. The only comment that offends is “ex copper”. The reality is a retired Detective Chief Inspector an achievement of which I am proud. I am also proud to append my name to this item. It appears that no other blogger has such pride to date.
    Jim Hollingsworth, Chairman, Commercial Showcattle Society

12. J.A. Hollingsworth April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Hard Working Stockman – no name, no credibility

Jim Hollingsworth, Chairman Commercial Showcattle Society

13. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Whilst surfing the net I came upon this site quite by chance and as a townie I know nothing about farming or indeed cattle.However, after reading all the comments made, it seems to me that some of you may be a tad envious of a society made up of carpet fitters, mini digger operators, two bit butchers and ex coppers. who appear to have had considerable success in showing cattle.Is farming realy as easy as this?

14. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

To Thenightwatch

I got my information from the original press release that says – Every national show without exception in England and Wales has been won by at least one of the directors of this society, as has almost every county show. – Is this information incorrect?

15. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Anonymous

Thank you, I now appreciate that farming is really easy when 95% of all people that participate in the commercial show world can win national and county events.

16. Miss Wales April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

hehe!!!

It keeps a rocking & rolling!

This thread is so entertaining.

Motorway babe… you seem to have missed the point made by the majority of the bloggers….have a read again!

17. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Miss Wales

Surley the point is that you do not have to join this society so why all the fuss.
    After all we still live in a democracy, for the moment at least.

18. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Thenightwatch

After finding this site and reading the blogs, I googled commercial show cattle society and read their press release to find out what it was all about.
    Not knowing anything about show cattle I then looked up various breed societies.As there isn’t a breed society for commercial cattle this society seemed to me to be a good idea.
    Or are commercial cattle a bit like mongrel dogs that do not favor any particular breed?
    I must say I am now totally confused by the whole thing.
    My grandfather was a hill farmer in Shropshire and I wonder what he would have made of all this bickering!

19. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Miss Wales

I did what you suggested and re read the blogs.
    One theme kept reoccurring, that of some of the committee members having tantrums and throwing dummies out of prams.
    How often do we see footballers bad behaviour and boxers and cricketers and rugby players and wasn’t there a famous show jumper some years ago! And who can forget the character of my tennis idol the wonderful John McEnroe.
    This sort of thing happens in most competitive sports and should be contained within the sporting arena and not carried on as a personal issue away from the event.
    There is nothing wrong in having the will to win. It appears the only people passing these comments are sore losers.
    It is a pity that the rest of the country hasn’t got the same will to succeed as the successful show people, perhaps then this country would not be in a servere recession.

20. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Thenightwatch

I don’t know why you couldn’t find it on google. I entered commercial show cattle society and it came up as the second and sixth items. One was The Farmers Guardian and the other was a site called Stackyard. Why do you all hate this committee so much? Why not go to a meeting and hear what they have to say? If most people think this is a good idea then give your views an airing and let them answer their critics.

21. Miss Wales April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Motorway babe -

Quite simply showing cattle is NOT a sport, it is a hobby to some, a way of adding value to stock for others, but not a sport.

Success breeds contempt many say, but I don’t get the impression of the majority of the bloggers being sore losers.

22. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

As a townie I an trying to understand the complcated pastime of showing commercial cattle and trying to get to grips with what it is all about.
    There seems to be a big objection to the word sport and as a result I have referred to the Oxford dictionary, which refers to it as ” Fun or diversion, pastime of an outdoors or athletic kind, such pastimes collectively, meeting for compation.” If this is not the case what would be the best definition for this pastime?

23. The Analyst April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Baby Limmie

Your blog of the 6th July implies you are in your teens or twenties. You have judged twice including areas other than your own patch this year.I can’t find any evidence of this despite checking everywhere.
    On 8th August you say you only show locally and describe how you deal with defeat.
    However despite your youth and limited experience you feel you are in a position to influence one of the largest county shows in the UK, by sending a list of judges to the East of England Show without consulting with the rest of the show world. Unless of course you are running an undercover operation, not open and above board as is the Commercial Show Cattle Society.
    You also say on your 10th July blog that you were at the Commercial Show Cattle Society launch event at the Yorkshire show, as I was.
    There were 50 people there and in two and a half
    hours not one person spoke in the vein you are conveying.

24. Motorway Babe April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Miss Wales

The dictionary describes a hobby as a favorite pastime and does not mention competition.

25. Miss Wales April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

motorway babe

I think you are going off on a tangent!

What are you trying to understand?

Showing cattle is what it is. End of.

Please see anon comments above!

I enjoy showing cattle, I also realise that it adds value to our cattle, show animals (pedigree or otherwise) can command a premium… in end of the day money talks.

26. Blue_Grey_Coo_Choir_Meister April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

goodness folks, calm down – showing is 1st and foremost meant to be fun and enjoyable – some of the comments are totally unacceptable in my eyes.

I just stick to the adage, if you want to learn how to be first, you have to learn how to be last.
    I wouldn’t be writting this if it didn’t work for me.

Please let this be an end to the unsavoury comments.

27. Chrissie Lawrence April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Right guys after 71 comments I think enough is enough!!! It’s fair to say you have mixed opinion over this society as I’m sure everyone involved would have guessed as much.

I don’t mind comments regarding how a commercial animal is viewed, what classes you feel they should be entered in or any other general comments about showing for that matter (after all that’s the whole point of being able to comment on a blog), but please leave the personal issues to one side now. I’d like you all to think on what BGCCM has posted above:
    “showing is 1st and foremost meant to be fun and enjoyable.”
    I think that sums it up don’t you?

28. Chrissie April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

I haven’t heard anything as yet – I couldn’t make it myself as I was in Northern Ireland looking at Simmies, so I’m hoping to hear something soon!

29. Chrissie April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Thanks for that – if you could let mne know the set of dates and venues I will publish them on here,

Cheers
    Chrissie

30. Lady Luck April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

what’s the latest from the society….

Have they had a meeting out of wales yet? ;)

31. moomoomoo April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

wot does this ex copper think hes doin

32. peter mitchell April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Does anyone know about the history of South Durham & North Riding of Yorkshire Fat Stock Society? If so who/what/where can I get some information? I’ve been going through some of my late fathers belongings and found a medal from 1856.. can anyone please help?

33. Jonathan Long April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

Hi Peter, I don’t know anything of this one myself, but I’ve forwarded your request on to someone that may know more.

34. been there and done it April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

ive been showing cattle for many years pedigree and commercial and have won many top awards i know all of the people on the committie and only 1 of them i trust the rest just fix it all and just get pi**ed off when it dont go their way some of you even came off your breed committies because you couldnt have your own way

35. Irene Lancaster April 8, 2013 at 12:11 am #

very nice post, i certainly love this website, keep on it