A butcher has produced some very British bangers in honour of the Queen’s Jubilee. Fourth generation butcher Arthur Howell’s patriotic red, white and blue sausages are on sale at his shop in Wells Next the Sea, Norfolk. He commented: “This is a once-in-a-lifetime moment for my generation and we wanted to do something special. “We […]
Archive | March, 2012
Photographers of all ages are being urged to get out their cameras and capture some inspiring images of their favourite woodland. The Yorkshire Agricultural Society is challenging people to celebrate the splendour of the UK’s woodlands and forests by taking part in a photographic competition. With the theme “Seasons in the Woodland”, the Society is […]
Otters have been spotted for the 19th year running at Lark Rise Farm in Cambridgeshire – great news considering they were on the edge of extinction in this country in 1993.But forget the age-old methods of tracking of otter footprints or droppings, this year’s evidence came from hi-tech, motion sensitive, night-time cameras.Otters returned to the Bourn Brook in Cambridgeshire in 1993 […]
Farming has found an unexpected champion in none other than East London grime MC Tempa T.This tongue in cheek video sees Tempa T bid for the role of London mayor, using city farms as a part of his ‘manifesto’.“Big up the kids who wanna be farmers,” he tells the camera, “who have to go to the middle of […]
You know the Boat Race – the annual rowing battle between Oxford and Cambridge which is happening on Saturday April 7? Well on exactly the same date, at exactly the same time, a vaguely similar event will be taking place – the Oxford and Cambridge Goat Race. Already dubbed by some ‘the other race’, this […]
Ron Parnell first got into the art and craft of stick-making when his wife Una bought him one in 1997. He was in the building trade most of his working life and picked up a range of skills along the way. “I thought ‘I could do better than this’ and, once the idea entered my […]
We love this picture of a Hereford cow – rather cheekily sticking its tongue out! Thanks to Nathan White of Nettleham, Lincolnshire, for sending it to us.
Those nice people at Plumpton College have made a video explaining all about the Wine Centre at the East Sussex college. Let it never be said that agricultural colleges don’t offer a wide range of fascinating courses!
Spotted some of Thames Water’s latest drought posters on my way into work this morning, mainly in bus stops in zone 2:The cracked ground in this poster was photographed at the River Kennet in Wiltshire, but the one I saw this morning showed the dried up beds of tributaries at the River Pang in Berkshire, […]
How exciting – that nice Mr Baker (you know, him off The One Show) has agreed to judge Farmers Weekly’s Welcome to Wellywood competition. The competition, which has a first prize of £400 plus £200 of cinema tickets, is inviting you to make a spoof clip of an iconic film scene – but give it a farming twist!
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: The pigeons had the last laugh August 29, 2015
- Farm Chef recipe: Caramelised plum tart August 28, 2015
- Opinion: Farmer blockades? Why you can count me out August 28, 2015
- Farming: 11 professions rolled into one August 27, 2015
- Farmer on the Dart Estuary diversifies with boatyard August 26, 2015
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite