A butcher has produced some very British bangers in honour of the Queen’s Jubilee. Fourth generation butcher Arthur Howell’s patriotic red, white and blue sausages are on sale at his shop in Wells Next the Sea, Norfolk. He commented: “This is a once-in-a-lifetime moment for my generation and we wanted to do something special. “We […]
Archive | March, 2012
Photographers of all ages are being urged to get out their cameras and capture some inspiring images of their favourite woodland. The Yorkshire Agricultural Society is challenging people to celebrate the splendour of the UK’s woodlands and forests by taking part in a photographic competition. With the theme “Seasons in the Woodland”, the Society is […]
Otters have been spotted for the 19th year running at Lark Rise Farm in Cambridgeshire – great news considering they were on the edge of extinction in this country in 1993.But forget the age-old methods of tracking of otter footprints or droppings, this year’s evidence came from hi-tech, motion sensitive, night-time cameras.Otters returned to the Bourn Brook in Cambridgeshire in 1993 […]
Farming has found an unexpected champion in none other than East London grime MC Tempa T.This tongue in cheek video sees Tempa T bid for the role of London mayor, using city farms as a part of his ‘manifesto’.“Big up the kids who wanna be farmers,” he tells the camera, “who have to go to the middle of […]
You know the Boat Race – the annual rowing battle between Oxford and Cambridge which is happening on Saturday April 7? Well on exactly the same date, at exactly the same time, a vaguely similar event will be taking place – the Oxford and Cambridge Goat Race. Already dubbed by some ‘the other race’, this […]
Ron Parnell first got into the art and craft of stick-making when his wife Una bought him one in 1997. He was in the building trade most of his working life and picked up a range of skills along the way. “I thought ‘I could do better than this’ and, once the idea entered my […]
We love this picture of a Hereford cow – rather cheekily sticking its tongue out! Thanks to Nathan White of Nettleham, Lincolnshire, for sending it to us.
Those nice people at Plumpton College have made a video explaining all about the Wine Centre at the East Sussex college. Let it never be said that agricultural colleges don’t offer a wide range of fascinating courses!
Spotted some of Thames Water’s latest drought posters on my way into work this morning, mainly in bus stops in zone 2:The cracked ground in this poster was photographed at the River Kennet in Wiltshire, but the one I saw this morning showed the dried up beds of tributaries at the River Pang in Berkshire, […]
How exciting – that nice Mr Baker (you know, him off The One Show) has agreed to judge Farmers Weekly’s Welcome to Wellywood competition. The competition, which has a first prize of £400 plus £200 of cinema tickets, is inviting you to make a spoof clip of an iconic film scene – but give it a farming twist!
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Rachel Jones and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Bovine TB forces farmer out of beef production December 6, 2013
- Penalties for breaching new pesticide rules December 6, 2013
- Survey shows green benefits of sugar beet December 6, 2013
- Scotland announces 9.5% CAP modulation plans December 5, 2013
- Summit held to help farmers boost resilience December 5, 2013
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite