The recession, rising hay costs and irresponsible breeding are contributing to a rising number of horses being neglected and abandoned.
As a result, the RSPCA has launched its Stable Future appeal to find fosterers to temporarily look after some of the young horses coming into its care.
It’s hoping farmers and country families can act as foster carers to these youngsters until they’re old enough to go back to the RSPCA to be prepared for being ridden and then go on to a permanent home.
Foster carers must have experience handling horses, grazing and be able to take in an for at least six months.
Northumberland sheep and cattle farmer Cheryl Watson (pictured) fostered two youngsters, Zoe-May and After Eight, a year ago and is using them to graze a paddock which previously had been used for sheep.
She says: “We had sheep on there for quite a while and had a bit of a worm problem so decided to get a couple of ponies to break the worm cycle which has worked really well.
“They are really easy to handle, they don’t take up too much time because you don’t have to ride them and for me they have a really practical benefit, they are solving a problem for me.
“I’ve had them about a year and in that time they have become more trusting. I love their curious nature, they want to learn and discover new things – being on a farm with tractors and quad bikes they are certainly getting some new experiences.”
You can apply here or call 0300 123 8000 for an application form.
Return to Field Day home page.
Calling would-be horse carers
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite