How about these for unusual festive decorations?
The picture shows butchers Peter Buck (left) and Nick Allen with their meat Christmas tree. Yes, their meat Christmas tree.
It’s on show in the shop, Hutchinson’s of Ripley, and features garlands of chipolata sausages, streaky bacon tinsel, baubles of traditional faggots and black pudding rings, and is topped with a streaky bacon star.
As the feast season approaches, the two men are backing The Meat Crusade’s call for shoppers to “support their butchers for life and not just for Christmas”.
“We are encouraging shoppers to make a change – it is in their hands to ensure the high street butcher is here for future generations to enjoy,” says Peter, who’s been a butcher for 55 years. “Make it your New Year’s resolution to support them.”
John Penny, Yorkshire farmer and meat wholesaler, adds: “We all flock to the butcher at Christmas because we want the best we can buy for our family. We forget we can buy the best from the local butcher all year round. Visiting a good butcher shouldn’t be a once a year occasion, it should be a once-a-week routine.
“Butchers need your support now more than ever. If the decline continues, the high street butcher will go the way of the fishmonger — only a handful will remain and the art of butchery will be lost.”
Here at Field Day, we applaud the idea – but reckon that when it comes to meat promotion the Hutchinson’s guys could still learn a thing or two from Lady Gaga…
Black pudding baubles, anyone?
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: Foldyard antics and fly-tying challenges November 27, 2014
- Could you be Britain's Sexiest Farmer? November 26, 2014
- Farm accidents: How to save a life in an emergency November 25, 2014
- Farm Chef recipe: Pot roast brisket November 21, 2014
- Opinion: Don't be embarrassed, let's talk Europe... November 21, 2014
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite