How about these for unusual festive decorations?
The picture shows butchers Peter Buck (left) and Nick Allen with their meat Christmas tree. Yes, their meat Christmas tree.
It’s on show in the shop, Hutchinson’s of Ripley, and features garlands of chipolata sausages, streaky bacon tinsel, baubles of traditional faggots and black pudding rings, and is topped with a streaky bacon star.
As the feast season approaches, the two men are backing The Meat Crusade’s call for shoppers to “support their butchers for life and not just for Christmas”.
“We are encouraging shoppers to make a change – it is in their hands to ensure the high street butcher is here for future generations to enjoy,” says Peter, who’s been a butcher for 55 years. “Make it your New Year’s resolution to support them.”
John Penny, Yorkshire farmer and meat wholesaler, adds: “We all flock to the butcher at Christmas because we want the best we can buy for our family. We forget we can buy the best from the local butcher all year round. Visiting a good butcher shouldn’t be a once a year occasion, it should be a once-a-week routine.
“Butchers need your support now more than ever. If the decline continues, the high street butcher will go the way of the fishmonger — only a handful will remain and the art of butchery will be lost.”
Here at Field Day, we applaud the idea – but reckon that when it comes to meat promotion the Hutchinson’s guys could still learn a thing or two from Lady Gaga…
Black pudding baubles, anyone?
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: Farming hasn't followed other sectors out of recession July 3, 2015
- Opinion: Big Brother is watching (and visiting) July 3, 2015
- Nominate a friend or relative for our 'champion' award July 1, 2015
- Spud vending machine diversification proves critics wrong July 1, 2015
- Opinion: Battle to juggle career and family June 29, 2015
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite