Anwen Roberts has spent years capturing the drama of Anglesey’s rural life on canvas.
She is one of about 40 people who have been selected from 400 North Wales artists to have her work shown at an exhibition at the Oriel Ynys Môn Gallery in Llangefni.
Anwen was brought up in South Wales, but went to college in Pontypool and studied fine arts at the University of Staffordshire.
Her father was raised on Anglesey and her late grandparents’ home is opposite the farm at Trearddur Bay, where she now lives with husband, Iwan, and their two sons.
“I always carry a camera with me and when I visit a farm or an auction I like to take photographs which I can work from later,” says Anwen.
She used to use acrylics, but now works almost exclusively in oils. “It’s a very different medium. Acrylics dry so quickly, but with oils you work on a few things at the same time while you wait for one part to dry.
“When you’re working on the farm, you can’t stop to set up and draw things, no matter how much you might like to. But with my dad being a farmer and Iwan a farmer, I am experiencing it and not just observing as a passer-by. You see the seasons change and watch the start of lambing. Sometimes I can take my sketch book into the lambing shed.”
The exhibition (which will run from from March 2 to April 14) is being organised in conjunction with Anglesey Arts Forum and the Helfa Gelf/Art Trail, which form the North Wales Open Studios Network.
Return to Field Day home page.
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Warm weather fuels rapid increases in maize DM September 16, 2014
- Pig workers urged to 'squeal' if worried about welfare September 16, 2014
- John Deere's 8000-series foragers offer advanced tech September 16, 2014
- Farmer dies after being run over by feed lorry September 16, 2014
- RPA switches from higher-rate phone numbers September 16, 2014
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite