Anwen Roberts has spent years capturing the drama of Anglesey’s rural life on canvas.
She is one of about 40 people who have been selected from 400 North Wales artists to have her work shown at an exhibition at the Oriel Ynys Môn Gallery in Llangefni.
Anwen was brought up in South Wales, but went to college in Pontypool and studied fine arts at the University of Staffordshire.
Her father was raised on Anglesey and her late grandparents’ home is opposite the farm at Trearddur Bay, where she now lives with husband, Iwan, and their two sons.
“I always carry a camera with me and when I visit a farm or an auction I like to take photographs which I can work from later,” says Anwen.
She used to use acrylics, but now works almost exclusively in oils. “It’s a very different medium. Acrylics dry so quickly, but with oils you work on a few things at the same time while you wait for one part to dry.
“When you’re working on the farm, you can’t stop to set up and draw things, no matter how much you might like to. But with my dad being a farmer and Iwan a farmer, I am experiencing it and not just observing as a passer-by. You see the seasons change and watch the start of lambing. Sometimes I can take my sketch book into the lambing shed.”
The exhibition (which will run from from March 2 to April 14) is being organised in conjunction with Anglesey Arts Forum and the Helfa Gelf/Art Trail, which form the North Wales Open Studios Network.
Return to Field Day home page.
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Photos: Wombats, royalty and nappers sum up the summer show... July 29, 2015
- Harvest bites: Hearty food to fuel farmworkers July 28, 2015
- Opinion: Why I hate electric-shock dog collars July 27, 2015
- Videos and photos: 6 animal sports you never thought you'd... July 26, 2015
- Opinion: I want land rents to stay high July 24, 2015
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite