A Herefordshire sheep farmer has come up with an original, heartfelt and funny response to the horsemeat scandal.
Russ Whistance, who runs 500 ewes at Garway, feels so strongly about the crisis that he has made his own video and posted it on YouTube.
Called ‘Tasty Horsey’ and set to the Gangnam Style soundtrack by PSY, the video is his personal manifesto to “show that supermarkets use their power irresponsibly to dupe consumers and mistreat producers”.
Russ wrote the song lyrics, devised the choreography, directed and produced the video himself, using a hand-held camera given to him for Christmas.
In it, you see him leaping about the hills dressed as a horse and leading local friends in the Gangnam dance moves. They also helped him film undercover in a supermarket and to edit the film.
Altogether it took four days to make the video and it quickly notched up well over 1000 views.
Targeted to appeal to a young audience, it comes across as a bit of fun (one background poster reads ‘Every little hoax’), but the aim is serious: to get people to think about the real cost of food.
In the video, Russ pits “No Taste, No Nutrition, No standards Supermarket Pie” against local food that is good for “welfare, health and land”.
“There is a disconnect between largely urban consumers and rural food producers,” he adds. “I want them to understand what good food is for them and the land.”
Russ, who is studying for an MA in Sustainable Development, sells his lamb at local markets. “I like to engage with people and get feedback from my customers,” he says. “I also prefer to use local shops. Supermarkets are convenient, but often they are a false economy.
“Anyway, after ‘Tasty Horsey,’ I’ll probably be banned from my local supermarket,” he jokes.
Return to Field Day home page.
VIDEO: Farmer’s ‘tasty horsey’ Gangnam film
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Farmer's wife speaks out on 'horrific' cull intimidation September 22, 2014
- Dairy Crest savings plans mean more site closures September 22, 2014
- Food and drink bucks UK export trend September 22, 2014
- French farmers dump vegetables in government protest September 22, 2014
- Tenants' views sought on council's smallholdings September 22, 2014
- Rare 'golden' mole caught http://t.co/KzqLENloBE 12:13:43 PM November 28, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @overthefarmgate: @jonesFW @timrelfFW you seen this?! RT @jhdarcy I'm a celebrity get me out of here!? http://t.co/MYm3dIxEa7 #farmpics 03:48:02 PM November 27, 2013 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @MillyMollyManda Well done on your win Amanda:) #VMGMindAwards 05:00:58 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to MillyMollyManda ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @jo_elvin Commiserations re last night. Very moving evening and, as you say, just good to be there and to be covering this stuff. 05:00:17 PM November 19, 2013 from web in reply to jo_elvin ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Nominations have started rolling in for our Britain's Sexiest Farmer competition. Here's the gallery so far http://t.co/IttHoWn2Y3 05:58:20 PM November 18, 2013 from web ReplyRetweetFavorite