A Herefordshire sheep farmer has come up with an original, heartfelt and funny response to the horsemeat scandal.
Russ Whistance, who runs 500 ewes at Garway, feels so strongly about the crisis that he has made his own video and posted it on YouTube.
Called ‘Tasty Horsey’ and set to the Gangnam Style soundtrack by PSY, the video is his personal manifesto to “show that supermarkets use their power irresponsibly to dupe consumers and mistreat producers”.
Russ wrote the song lyrics, devised the choreography, directed and produced the video himself, using a hand-held camera given to him for Christmas.
In it, you see him leaping about the hills dressed as a horse and leading local friends in the Gangnam dance moves. They also helped him film undercover in a supermarket and to edit the film.
Altogether it took four days to make the video and it quickly notched up well over 1000 views.
Targeted to appeal to a young audience, it comes across as a bit of fun (one background poster reads ‘Every little hoax’), but the aim is serious: to get people to think about the real cost of food.
In the video, Russ pits “No Taste, No Nutrition, No standards Supermarket Pie” against local food that is good for “welfare, health and land”.
“There is a disconnect between largely urban consumers and rural food producers,” he adds. “I want them to understand what good food is for them and the land.”
Russ, who is studying for an MA in Sustainable Development, sells his lamb at local markets. “I like to engage with people and get feedback from my customers,” he says. “I also prefer to use local shops. Supermarkets are convenient, but often they are a false economy.
“Anyway, after ‘Tasty Horsey,’ I’ll probably be banned from my local supermarket,” he jokes.
Return to Field Day home page.
VIDEO: Farmer’s ‘tasty horsey’ Gangnam film
About Tim Relf
About the Field Day blog
Field Day is written by our Rural Living editor Tim Relf and deputy editor, Hayley Parrott and brings you the lighter side of rural life.
Packed with great stories, incredible photos and must-watch videos, Field Day provides your daily fix of all that’s weird and wonderful about the great British countryside.
- Opinion: The 'V word' has replaced the 'S word' January 31, 2015
- Wales YFC hits out over funding cuts January 30, 2015
- Recipe: Spicy tomato and bean stew with thick-cut garlic... January 30, 2015
- Former Young Farmer drives 8,000 miles in vintage Massey... January 28, 2015
- The dos and don'ts of dating a farmer January 28, 2015
- RT @FarmersWeekly: Why every farmer deserves respect #teamdairy #teamsheep #clubhectare http://t.co/0dSGUXnh5c 05:11:28 PM October 10, 2014 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @BritishFlowers Can I just check you guys took this pic please? We'll try to squeeze it into FW... 11:30:52 AM September 11, 2014 from Twitter Web Client in reply to BritishFlowers ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Exaggerating? Swearing? Itching? 13 tell-tale signs that harvest is in full swing #harvest14 http://t.co/2ucAa4G1l7 http://t.co/3Y48wrR3sO 09:00:17 PM August 14, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @FarmersWeekly: See what farmers thought about the first episode of #firsttimefarmers (link correct this time) http://t.co/ze1b6hMIY6 02:54:29 PM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app ReplyRetweetFavorite
- @garethbarlow Any chance you could give me a quick call pls Gareth... 020 8652 4928. 10:57:39 AM August 08, 2014 from Spredfast app in reply to GarethBarlow ReplyRetweetFavorite