We've started the cycle for next years harvest already, with OSR being drilled this week. We're hoping to improve the establishment of the crop this year by applying some liquid nitrogen while drilling, this will mean the nitrogen is in the soil, close to the seedling straight away. Normally we'd apply granular Nitrogen a week or so after drilling when we had time.
This week has also seen us finish combining wheat, so apart from some spring beans to do next week we can focus on getting the cultivating done and the establishment of next years crops!
I've also recently got the job as one of Farmers Weekly's arable farmer focus writers - my first article will be in this weeks magazine and is online here - http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2011/08/16/128417/Matt-Redman-finalises-OSR-establishment-plans.htm
I also realise I've no been very good at posting pictures on here this harvest, so I'll try and get some up in the next few days!
Harvest is finally underway. We managed about 2 days early in the week before being rain off, although it didn't do any harm as we'd started on wheat which wasn't quite ready really - the grain was dry enough births straw was still abit green.
Once things had dried up a little we made a start on the OSR - which as featured quite heavily in previous posts to this blog! Considering the problems over the winter and into the spring it hasn't turned it too bad, not brilliant yields but better than expected in most places. We're currently cutting the final 30ha, so hopefully by Monday we'll be back onto wheat and making dent in the area left to harvest, as well as filling to barn! Unfortunetly the wheat yields are going to be lower this year due to the dry spring, but as yet we don't know how much by, fingers crossed not much.