Cookies & Privacy
in

About time road rules were updated?

Last post Thu, Jun 21 2012 20:52 by ali maxxum. 72 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (73 items) < Previous   1 2 3   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 19:29 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

Re: About time road rules were updated?

Stuart Meikle:
    Last week we had a Shropshire sheep deliverd by courier to my home in Suffolk

Good idea cos you cant put sheep in the post can you

• Mon, Feb 6 2012 20:28 In reply to

• windymiller
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, May 4 2009
    • montgomeryshire

welshnwilling:

robexel:
    And perhaps they could also look at the possibility of allowing specially registered trucks to use red diesel, they are very popular on the continent.

Now that sounds like a good idea ! In fact I agree with your whole post. Don't think we'll get away with the trucks though.

we got a 6 wheeler tipper on limited use licence, no road tax, red diesel, just went about it like you do with your pick ups or land rovers and what not, we only run it between farms and the hill, can safely draw a lot more than the tractor.
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 22:44 In reply to

• robexel
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2008
    • Cheshire

welshnwilling:
    Anyone know what the rules are regarding trucks and red diesel ? Come to think of it, someone locally has an artic unit towing a farm trailer on red. Clumbsy old thing though.

You can register as a "works truck" but can only drive between your own land up to a mile from base. No good for larger farms and useless for contractors. It's a law designed for building sites really.

I agree with some of the other posts, if nothing else I would like to see an official brake test requirement.

Strategery of co-opetition will embiggen a cromulent future.
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 23:16 In reply to

if you have a long narrow farm, with a village at the end, it is very useful.

• Mon, Feb 6 2012 23:33 In reply to

• robexel
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Cheshire

It's amazing how much transport is needed these days: of the twenty-odd farms where I cart silage, I can think of only one where there is no road haulage needed, and several farms need road access for every field.

• Tue, Feb 7 2012 19:10 In reply to

windymiller:
    we got a 6 wheeler tipper on limited use licence, no road tax, red diesel, just went about it like you do with your pick ups or land rovers and what not, we only run it between farms and the hill, can safely draw a lot more than the tractor.

What do you use it for ? How far can you legally take it ?

• Tue, Feb 7 2012 20:20 In reply to

• windymiller
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • montgomeryshire

Carry muck and stone mostly, and what ever else we tend to need a tipper for, it was either that or a new trailer for the tractor, the lorry was a lot cheaper, and turned out to be a better job, its the same size as a 12 tone grain trailer, but you can fill it to the pin with stone, and still feel safe. Not sure really, as the chap in the dvla said when we put the run about on limited use, "just don't go to your local town to often in it", we only go 2 or 3 miles up the road with it.
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 20:41 In reply to

Chap near here has an artic unit running on red towing a large stock trailer. He goes all over the place with it. He's been stopped by VOSA but they can't touch him. He said the trailer must be towed on a jaw rather than fifth wheel though. This means he has to carry a large weight on the back to improve traction.

We have land 30 miles from home, I wonder if we could run a tipper on exempt to carry muck and silage back and fore ? I can't see it's any different to running a tractor, providing you don't carry other peoples goods for reward.

windymiller:
    as the chap in the dvla said when we put the run about on limited use, "just don't go to your local town to often in it"

My neighbour was told when exempting an old land rover " just don't use it to go to McDonalds"

• Tue, Feb 7 2012 20:53 In reply to

• windymiller
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • montgomeryshire

It must be worth looking in to for the savings, tires, brakes, fuel as well, if you could have a drag behind it as well would be well worth it. You would still need a heavy goods licence mind.
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 13:17 In reply to

• townie
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • West Wales

welshnwilling:
    I'm a firm believer in letting sleeping dogs lay

I quite agree.  However, our case and an indusry would be helped by people being more responsible.  Recently I've been doing a fair bit of evening/early morning driving and lost count of the number of dodgy trailers being hauled along major routes.  Too many people who think it's ok to ride without lights or reflectors on their trailer, dropping the contents off the back, braking suddenly and weaving around the road.  We often moan about car drivers' behavious, but consideration for other road users is a two-way path.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 23:40 In reply to

• robexel
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Cheshire

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_000164#P181_16924

Section 8 is about red diesel in farming.  Section 10 states what you can do with an "exempt" vehicle.  But it's still not clear to me whether a contractor can collect silage, fertiliser etc on a farmer's behalf.  This may or may not be considered "haulage".

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 8:38 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

You can if you are going to feed it for him or spread it but you cant just do haulage. you can take silage to him if its yours but it has to be yours till you get there 

And dont ever wright haulage on a invoice they can go back on them

• Mon, Feb 13 2012 16:28 In reply to

• Dozer
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 13 2012
    • East Anglia

Yes, the rules do need updating.  Let us have tractors and trailers tested to ensure they are road worthy and get the rules for weight and speed changed while we are at it..  Bring it on.  If you go on the road then it follows that your vehicle, whether it is a tractor or car, should be fit for the road.  Too many cow boys with no lights and inadequate brakes etc.

• Mon, Feb 13 2012 20:48 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

Its all very well  but these tests for tractors and trailers will not be done for free.

• Tue, Feb 14 2012 21:38 In reply to

• Dozer
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 13 2012
    • East Anglia

No, they wont be free.  Should be a big gain in load size and speed though.

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 17:19 In reply to

I'm sixteen and not seventeen until the very end in august. Having recently passing my tractor test i was outraged at the fact that the maximum train weight is fourteen tonnes untill holding a full drivers liecence.

Due to this obsurd weight restriction, my employer for work experience is contenplating wheter to take me on. With modern tractors weighing in at seven tonnes and pulling a fourteen tonne trailer loaded would push me over the limit at 23 tonnes providing the trailer was two tonnes. So all my use now for work placement is moving irragators around providing on there weight and size or being in the grainstores.

Laws for those who have a full driving liecence may be able to stay the same, but those who are sixteen and on a tractor liecene, things have to change. With bigger tractors and implements being sold ever on the increase each year, you'll be hard pushed to find a tractor/ implement which is under 2.45 meters and can stay under the exsisiting maximum train weight. This is un fair for those who have late birthdays in the summer and this will result in not much being learnt over the work placement.

Simon.  

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 17:32 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Haarwood:

I'm sixteen. Having recently passing my tractor test i was outraged at the fact that the maximum train weight is fourteen tonnes untill holding a full drivers liecence.

Simon.  

Someones been telling you porkies! You can pull 24 tons gross, the same as the rest of us.

I would say do a search on this site, but there's been so much misinformation spread around the true posts, that it can get very confusing even on here. I think fairly recently there was a link to a DoT or VOSA site which spelled it all out, if you can find that link!
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 18:03 In reply to

It's all very confusing, i've got a un-official site saying 24 tonnes, the DSA doesn't specify and the college where i attend is saying 14 tonnes. I don't know what to believe. It's all very confusing with weights as everyone/ every site is claiming it to be something different.

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 18:08 In reply to

I haven't seen 14 tonnes mentioned anywhere before. I've been looking around recently because my son has just done his tractor test & I've seen all the width limits & pivot steer telehandlers, etc mentioned but that's a new one on me.

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 18:12 In reply to

Haarwood:
    It's all very confusing

Only place left to try is vosa, they should know the rules

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 18:24 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

you won't find any weight restrictions for 16 year olds written down, because there aren't any different ones from every one else! The general weight limit for an agricultural machine is 24 tons (24.385 tonnes!) and there is no age limit on that.

You will find information on limits on width for a 16 year old (2.45m) and type of trailer (close coupled, ie no artics, and single or twin axle) because these are things which have different rules for those under 17.
  • Sat, Feb 18 2012 20:54 In reply to

• shades
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011

the road rules for tractors are in need of an update.  There should be one class for up to 20tons and 25 mph with the standard lights and brakes we have as most modern tractors and trailers can stop the weight at that speed and another class for tractors and trailers with air brakes and full suspension of 30 tons and 40 mph. the lower weight can use red diesel for every job for the farmers own produce but the higher weight would need white diesel for distances greater than 30 miles. all tractors and trailers should be checked over every six months to make sure the brakes steering and lights ect work well. but once a year the tractors and trailers in the higher weight class should go to their local hgv test station to have a proper test.
  • Sun, Feb 19 2012 11:57 In reply to

shades:
    another class for tractors and trailers with air brakes and full suspension of 30 tons and 40 mph. the lower weight can use red diesel for every job for the farmers own produce but the higher weight would need white diesel for distances greater than 30 miles. all tractors and trailers should be checked over every six months to make sure the brakes steering and lights ect work well. but once a year the tractors and trailers in the higher weight class should go to their local hgv test station to have a proper test.

Do like your idea for putting the tractor and trailer in for a test once a year but white diesel for distances greater than 30 miles im not sure about that. we normally go 40 miles plus with the tractor.

• Sun, Feb 19 2012 21:38 In reply to

fast1rac:
    Do like your idea for putting the tractor and trailer in for a test once a year but white diesel for distances greater than 30 miles im not sure about that. we normally go 40 miles plus with the tractor.

Totally agree, you may as well run a lorry if you have to use derv.

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 12:42 In reply to

• Windyhiller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 23 2012
    • Northern Ireland

Does anyone know where the insurance companies stand on weight limits. I want to run a 3500 gallon tanker but with a gross train weight of close on 28 tonne I wouldn't mant to be left high and dry  should there be an accident....

Page 2 of 3 (73 items) < Previous   1 2 3   Next >
© RBI 2001-2010