Cookies & Privacy
in

April Rainfall

Last post Mon, May 7 2012 23:00 by old mcdonald. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 1 2012 7:44

April Rainfall

129mm near Brecon.  What have you all had?

I see 270mm in parts of Somerset. That's as much as we've had this year in total.  It's wet enough now.

• Tue, May 1 2012 8:27 In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005

Re: April Rainfall

About 120mm in East Anglia near the east coast, which compares with the expectation of about 30 mm for the month, so hugely more than usual, and fields much wetter than normal for this time of year, even though they started the month fairly dry.

• Tue, May 1 2012 11:30 In reply to

FIve or six inches. Not an accurate count as rainguage ran over the top several times. So yes, pretty wet. It can stop now thanks. Until November. Apart from an inch the day after the rape is all drilled. And maybe another inch to soften seedbeds the day before we get the drill out.

Not for print please.
  • Tue, May 1 2012 13:33 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

94mm of drought on Saturday between 2am and 2pm in GL19.

• Tue, May 1 2012 14:12 In reply to

If your rain gauge over several times, how much does it hold?  Standard gauge here holds 6 inches.

• Tue, May 1 2012 16:18 In reply to

3". But doesnt get emptied every day. Rain is not an exact science for me. If there are puddles in the yard, no point going out side. With the rain, we also seem to have no heat in the air. So its going to take a good week of no more wet before I even consider a sprayer in the field. And even then it will be in desperation to get some spray on the barley. May also looks like a cold and damp month.

No need for 6" rain guage here. 24" is a normal year. 10mm and you wont walk over this clay for a few days. Moisture retention is not an issue we suffer from. More like the opposite. If we had 6" in a day, I'd go on holiday for a month. 

Annoyingly, I do seem to recall several farmers curse the dry and wanting some wet to wash their urea in. I will add that to "localised torrential downpours" and "jetstream unseasonably low" and "weather remaining unsettles" as trigger words to book a flight to, well, anywhere else not a part of the British Isles or with a maritime climate.

Not for print please.
  • Tue, May 1 2012 18:24 In reply to

• Brisel
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Dorset

120mm here in East Dorset throughout April

33.5mm in March

25.5mm in Feb

67.5mm in Jan 2012

I'm about 10 days behind with spraying fungicides on wheat & oilseed rape. No diseases really showing yet but I suspect that I'm going to lose some of leaf 3 to latent septoria. Hey ho. All thanks to the Environment Agency declaring the South West as a "Drought region" in early April!

• Tue, May 1 2012 19:43 In reply to

Same problem here, Brisel, though in West Devon we had 275mm, slightly more than the "record" at Liscombe in Somerset.

• Tue, May 1 2012 22:29 In reply to

• concreter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 27 2010
    • North East Essex

Over here in drought stricken and sunny Essex we only had 81mm, this doesn't include the 25mm we had last night that goes into the May figures, our heavy clay will be a while drying out now and the fields 'squelch' as you walk on them.  By squelch I mean that you can hear the soil up to 10 feet away (all around) sucking as you take a step.

Not really cattle turning out weather I guess.

• Tue, May 1 2012 23:01 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

kansasfarmer:

If your rain gauge over several times, how much does it hold?  Standard gauge here holds 6 inches.

Blimey! Mine only goes up to 35mm! Not often much call for any more than that here.
  • Wed, May 2 2012 2:37 In reply to

I am amazed at a rain gauge that holds 35 mm.  We got 1.75" last night, I guess we will call all of it pre May 1st, so our April rainfall was about 4.25 inches, of which 3.5 came in the last 3 days.

• Wed, May 2 2012 8:42 In reply to

Kansas - I'd be interested to know, although a bit of topic, how high you are from sea level in the middle of the USA.

Not for print please.
  • Wed, May 2 2012 13:03 In reply to

Its over 1100 but under 1200 feet, I'll try to find out exactly.

• Wed, May 2 2012 13:04 In reply to

According to my weather page, 1148 feet. 

• Wed, May 2 2012 16:10 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

There's people around here get giddy coming up above sea level!!
  • Wed, May 2 2012 19:53 In reply to

• markw
    • Top 500 Contributor

I lost count at somewhere around 7 inches in April. My more sophisticated neighbour tells me there was just over 200mm excluding the bit on the 30th. Either way it's a lot and around a third of a years average total. Sadly it's all gone and i could be desperate again in three weeks. I sprayed all the winter cereals on Saturday and finished the rape today without sinking in anywhere. Easy life on the sand which looks at it's best in the lasat 5 years.

• Wed, May 2 2012 20:05 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 27 2008
    • Near Castelo Branco, Portugal

Brisel, You have answered a question I was going to ask, at least as far as Dorset is concerned - How much rain has everyone had over the full winter? I cannot understand how it can be considered a drought with those rainfall figures. Do you have the figures for Oct to Dec 2011?

For comparison my figures for the 6 months Oct to March, our wet season, were 88, 185, 18, 3, 0 and 3 a total of 297mm. The previous two winters recorded 812 and 933mm. April is considered Spring and we had a total of 37, almost all in the last 5 days of the month. 3mm to record this morning and 15 more up to 5pm means things are looking promising. That big swirly thing that drives the winds has eventually moved into a position to give us south westerlies and is supposed to remain there until the week-end. I hope so.

www.oldmcdonaldsolives.com
  • Wed, May 2 2012 21:49 In reply to

• topdog
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 24 2010
    • Lancaster

Pleased to say we only had 84mm in April, normally we would expect more than anywhere else so it has been a relief to watch the rain go round us for a while.
    "There is no good flock without a good shepherd and no good shepherd without a good dog"
  • Wed, May 2 2012 22:02 In reply to

spring wheat all turning purple now with waterlogging.

• Wed, May 2 2012 22:06 In reply to

kansasfarmer:
     According to my weather page, 1148 feet. 

bovril:
    There's people around here get giddy coming up above sea level!!

Indeed. We are at the heady heights of 60ft, running down to about 3ft. My throughts linking this to rain was - well at least there is somewhere for the wet to soak to in Kansas!

Not for print please.
  • Wed, May 2 2012 22:09 In reply to

• concreter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • North East Essex

Do you have one of those oxygen mask things in your tractor cab that drops down when the pressure drops?

I am on a hill Bovril and have an 81 feet benchmark on my house, thinking of growing eidelweiss.

• Wed, May 2 2012 22:27 In reply to

concreter:
    I am on a hill Bovril and have an 81 feet benchmark on my house

Our land goes from 150 to 1650 feet, but it goes from 150 to 900 feet in less than half a mile. This is why they call it "Severely Disadvantaged Area".

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

• Wed, May 2 2012 22:34 In reply to

• concreter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • North East Essex

welshnwilling:
    Our land goes from 150 to 1650 feet, but it goes from 150 to 900 feet in less than half a mile. This is why they call it "Severely Disadvantaged Area

Do you lean a lot when you go somewhere flat?

• Wed, May 2 2012 22:37 In reply to

concreter:
    Do you lean a lot when you go somewhere flat?

No I just wonder to myself why we bother farming on such steep land when so much flat land goes to waste.

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

• Wed, May 2 2012 22:44 In reply to

• concreter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • North East Essex

It must mean that all this nice rain just runs off not hangs around in huge lamb-drowning puddles.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2   Next >
© RBI 2001-2010