Cookies & Privacy
in

Claas Quad 2200 Baler

Last post Thu, Sep 30 2010 0:29 by squire. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 9 2010 21:25

Claas Quad 2200 Baler

How do people find the running cost's of a Claas quad 2200 square baler ? , we run 2 of them & are finding the running cost's of these balers, very high

• Thu, Sep 9 2010 23:08 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Re: Claas Quad 2200 Baler

Where are your costs high? I run a couple of ancient Hesstons, and find them comparatively economical on fuel (easily a ton of straw per litre of diesel) and string. But repairs are expensive, parts cost a lot (and breakdowns are getting more frequent!) Even brand new ones break! On the plus side I don't have depreciation any more. I'll stick with the Hesstons for their longevity though.
  • Fri, Sep 10 2010 7:11 In reply to

Both of our balers are less than 5 years old & to date it has cost us £1 per bale in parts & time to run these balers , parts have been , knotters, billhooks, packer rakes, needles,the list goes on on we find these balers very badly made , lots of cracks in welds & things like this.

• Fri, Sep 10 2010 11:01 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Blimey, that makes my breakdowns look cheap! My machines are both approaching 15 years old, and I have access to to a lot of 2nd hand bits off a scrapper I've got, and I do as much of the work myself as I can, but even so, I can't see my repairs coming close to yours.

I've watched various other balers around over the years, and none seem to come close to the Hesstons on build quality. If something cracks or breaks, it's normally for a good reason. I see no reason why mine won't do many more years of service yet, and I can't justify the cost of replacing them at only about 2000 tons of crop per baler each year, and there's no way I'd go to one machine. One's an 80 by 90, and the other's a 120 by 130, and nothing could do the job of both.

• Tue, Sep 28 2010 21:50 In reply to

• squire
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 17 2010

We run a quadrant 2200 runing costs wouldnt be quite as high as that but that is probably down to the fact that shear bolts are cheap. We baled 8000 bales without a problem and then for no apparent reason the baler started to shear shear bolts on the fly wheel the needls have been checked as has the timeing every thing seems fine.I would be interested to know if you have had any problems or could throw any light on the subject.

• Wed, Sep 29 2010 8:07 In reply to

The problems we have had are,

1,weld broke on the tying arm needles in & out chamber for a 6 or 7 ram stroke's , 6 new billhooks ,baler only one year old no warranty

2, Broken needle , hit a knotter frrame , new needle & completer knotter frame, billhook etc , same year

3, Broken  & bent needle another knotter frame & knotter drive gear, same year nothing in the baler

4, all new billhooks, retainers etc would not tie, same year baler had less than 10,000 bales on it

5, needle broke & bent the 2 side arms , same year

6, Packer rake tines bent & eat all the packer bands, baler 3 years old  less than 20,000 on it nothing in the baler poor weld on one of the tines was the start of the problem

7,Baler has new roll pins  in the knotters fitted every year but the still break in the season, do 3 or 4 billhooks every year as they are so soft if a knot in the twine gets on one bends it & it will not tie right with a lot of pressure on the chamber, we run camera's on them to see what is going on this has saved some money but with the price of the parts & the time to fix it & the down time, it has very high running cost. Claas have paid for NONE of these part as it was more than a year old, it all so had a computer box problem which it has had from new were it makes long bales for no reason box tells you it has tied yet it has not.

8, Auger feeder clutch as the paddles stop the auger in a good crop, this problem has been over come by cutting the paddles down in size & reshaping the side plates, done by us & the dealers foreman as Claas were lost with the problem 

What else do you want to know ? have ran quadrant balers for the last 12 years or so but I think it is a time for some other make now ,older balers were better made than the balers made after 2007

• Thu, Sep 30 2010 0:29 In reply to

• squire
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 17 2010

We have experienced most of those problems, the baler is pre 2007 bought second hand,we are based in the south of ireland where there isnt to many of those balers in fact i dont know of any so most of the local dealers arent much of a help and expertise is limited,a fact we should have taken in to

consideration when buying the baler however hindsight is great. Have you had any problems using different twines?                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

1. Replaced 2 knotter gears

2.Replaced 4 needles

3.Bent the frame carrying the 6 needles

4.Last day out the baler started to make the odd short bale and every time the baler would knot the knotter fault would come up on the screen to cancel it u pressed the - button.

Another make is starting to look like a serious option.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
© RBI 2001-2010