Cookies & Privacy
in

Drought in the south west

Last post Wed, Sep 26 2012 15:54 by bankrupt. 245 replies.
Page 1 of 10 (246 items) 1 2 3 4 5   Next >  ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 3 2012 9:49

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

Drought in the south west

Old mac I am parched I havent had a drink since last night

Thats better A nice cup of tea Big Smile

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 20:15 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 27 2008
    • Near Castelo Branco, Portugal

Re: Drought in the south west

henarar, There is no drought of drought threads that is for sure.

I never drink tea. Tried it once, worse than gin. Dinner soon, one white, one red, one port and two Moscatels (just to compare them) - a Spanish and a Portuguese Bacalhoa. Had the Bacalhoa last night and think the Spanish might match it.The Bacalhoa was nearly €5 and the Spanish about half that.

www.oldmcdonaldsolives.com
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 21:39 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

I thought you would like that one

Not a wine man myself farmhouse cider or whisky will hit the spot

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 21:49 In reply to

Bottle of Magners from the fridge. Tidy !
    http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/llechwedd-mawr-oq2
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 22:22 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

welshnwilling:
    Magners

Not bad rumage I dont spose

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 20:14 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male

henarar, Yes, it did appeal to my sense of humour - after the initial reaction "not another drought thread".

If I lived in Zumerzet I would be a cider drinker too. It goes well with many foods, apart from being a pleasant drink on its own of course. Sausages are good, and especially pies, either pastry or potato topped. I also reckon it would go well with many fish dishes, particularly shellfish - and kedgeree. Some foods though need wine as an accompaniment, a sipping drink rather than a quaffing one. In Australia and here I am in the fortunate position of having very cheap supplies of top class wines. If you want to read a little more about them check out www.oldmcdonaldinportugal.blogspot.com for an article on Portuguese wines.

Cider is good also with cheese and bread, but with say Stilton and biscuits (I like Carr's wholemeal, but cannot get them and have to settle for digestive types) after dinner it is essential to have Port.

As for whisky, I have never tried it with any food other than haggis, although the next time I have the Portuguese version (rice instead of oatmeal being the difference) I will do so. I like the occasional large dram before bed - Dalmore and Glenmorangie rated as No1 and No2, but I am not averse to the Western ones if they are not too heavily peated. 

• Wed, Mar 7 2012 22:32 In reply to

welshnwilling:
    Bottle of Magners from the fridge. Tidy !

Cornish Rattler Cyder! If you're brave enough!!!

"Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals." (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:29 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

I saw a news item last evening which postulated a transfer of the waters of the river Severn to the South East by means of using the old (derelict) Thames Severn Canal including the Stroudwater Canal.

In recent years parts of the canal have been re-opened but much remains to be done. Someone from Thames water was saying that it would take ten years to plan.

I have mixed feelings about the scheme but if I were desperate I would put a pipe in the Severn between Gloucester and Sharpness and then pipe/pump the water due east up to the Thames at Lechlade (about 30 [direct] miles) and let it flow from there down to London. At one million per mile plus £8 million for pumps cost £38m. Job done.

• Fri, Mar 9 2012 19:29 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male

Peter, Did you not already post that on a "real" drought thread?

TCB,  So what do I eat with this Cornish Rattler? The same sort of thing I would with a Zumerzet one?

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 0:45 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

old mcdonald:

So what do I eat with this Cornish Rattler?

Am I alone in not wanting to drink whilst I'm eating? Likee I see some pigs flood their food with water to eat it, and some eat it just as the meal, I'm most definitely a dry feeder! Even to the point of not liking gravy on any food. Give a meal half an hour to go down, then I can start drinking.
  • Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:25 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

old mcdonald:

This is a real drought thread

sortage of zider in zumerzet is not such a problem as in the old days when if you ran out you would have to walk or ride many miles to find more and as the whole work force ran on the stuff it was a big worry, these days you can get it droped in

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 14:38 In reply to

Thames Severn Canal

Sadly, Peter Wells, this project was always in trouble because of lack of water at the summit.

Of course, the Thames Head Inn ever running out of ale would have been the real disaster. Embarrassed

Cheers!(6X)

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 19:54 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male

bovril, I know a few people who eat dry. My wife drinks very little until she reaches the cheese, and her mother, who enjoys wine, tends to have a suitable wine for the main course after she has finished it. I think a lot depends on what the meal is, but I was thinking a main meal lunch or dinner when replying to henarar, and the same when asking tcb.

I need to drink when I am eating, always have, but even so, cheese and biscuits, and nuts, both consumed by us every night after the main course, are a bit difficult for most folks to get down without a drink.  I know what you mean though about being able to "start drinking" and I found this a big problem in Australia. When visiting (for a sit-down meal, not a BBQ) we were always plied with drink up to the time of the meal, usually nothing with it, so I learned to keep a full glass of beer, and then nothing ever offered after the meal, even if you were there another couple of hours.

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 22:13 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

bankrupt:
    Thames Severn Canal Sadly, Peter Wells, this project was always in trouble because of lack of water at the summit. Of course, the Thames Head Inn ever running out of ale would have been the real disaster

Indeed, from its inception this canal never really worked due to lack of water. I think Sapperton tunnel is however now clear but I'm not sure if the brickwork is OK. About thirty years ago, Brimscombe Port was filled in and built over and, although millions have been spent in restoring the canal under Merrywalks in Stroud, my guess is that the canal will never fully open again. (Not unless Gordon Brown returns to power and invents money to spend like he did last time)

From your signature of 6x, may I presume you are a Wadworth's man?

Drinks

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 22:16 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

old mcdonald:

OM. To tell the truth, I don't know if I did or not. I may have done, because it is the sort of thing ......... "I would have said, had I had said it."

• Tue, Mar 13 2012 14:13 In reply to

• Tue, Mar 13 2012 16:36 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

old mcdonald:
    As for whisky, I have never tried it with any food other than haggis,

Lunch today at the Butchers Arms in Woolhope. Haggis on a bed of beetroot jelly and a garnish, helped down with a Gloucestershire cider .

Yumme.

• Tue, Mar 13 2012 19:54 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male

Peter, That sounds like a good match. I have always felt that whisky with haggis was not right, and despite trying several wines have not been happy either. Next time I have the Portuguese version, I will try cider with it. Food and drink, as you know, are a passion with me and I begrudge missing an opportunity to sample something I will enjoy.
  • Tue, Mar 13 2012 22:09 In reply to

old mcdonald:
    TCB,  So what do I eat with this Cornish Rattler? The same sort of thing I would with a Zumerzet one?

Why a Pasty of course. Couple mediums or one large!!!!Big Smile

"Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals." (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • Tue, Mar 13 2012 22:27 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male

Apologies tcb, I was thinking pasty (or should it be pastie) as being the same as a pie, which of course on reflection I realise it is not, when I responded to henarar. A Forfar bridie would be good too - and that looks like a pasty/pastie, but is made in Forfar.

• Sat, Apr 21 2012 9:28 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

No drought in the south west [I have tapped a new barrel] just kidding but it is good stuff

It is getting a bit wet under foot for the cows some places, I thought we may well pay for the dry wether it always sorts its self out in the end

• Sat, Apr 21 2012 22:19 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male

henarar, No drought here either on the drinking front. I am exzperimenting with various white Ports to match some rather nice liver patés I have recently discovered. I think that a good dry cider would go well with them. A nice home-made loaf, heaps of butter and lashings of paté well washed-down with a pint or two out of your cask. I hate using the frog word paté but I do not know what else to call it.

• Sun, Apr 22 2012 0:28 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Is this officially the wettest drought on record yet?!!
  • Sun, Apr 22 2012 8:37 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

It is at the moment but if it gets to bad there will be no water for the apple trees then I will be in trouble

• Sun, Apr 22 2012 16:27 In reply to

When the 1976 drought broke here, bovril, local farmers were accused of having stolen all of the plastic buckets strategically placed all through the village next to their standpipes by the Water Authority.

In fact, of course, they had all been washed away by the floods, many eventually ending up trapped in my drainage outfalls.

I considered claiming against the Water Authority for negligence, but really couldn't be bothered.

I still have some of their buckets today.

Page 1 of 10 (246 items) 1 2 3 4 5   Next >  ... Last »
© RBI 2001-2010