Cookies & Privacy
in

Easy care sheep breeds

Last post Wed, Apr 18 2012 23:17 by dogjon. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 16:22

Easy care sheep breeds

Just been reading Neale McQuistin's next column for FW (it appears in the April 13 issue) and he's talking about easy care sheep - and why, particularly, he doesn't keep them.

He isn't drawn by the prospect of producing a "standard product that will not be getting a premium in the market either in terms of looks or carcass quality".

For a round-up of quirky rural news see my blog Field Day
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 19:26 In reply to

Re: Easy care sheep breeds

It's a bit difficult to comment without reading the article.
  • Sat, Apr 14 2012 12:51 In reply to

I do believe there may have been a kick in that article aimed in my direction ?

All I will say is that there's a big difference between Easy-care and Don't-care.

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 13:12 In reply to

• andy h
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 18 2008
    • Fordingbridge, Hants United Kingdom.

As a full time manager, my first loyalty is to my employers' stock, so any livestock I run for myself has to be "easy care", and with a large expat market at my disposal, selling Dorper lambs is a premium market for me.
    http://sangacattle.webs.com/
  • Sat, Apr 14 2012 16:33 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

welshnwilling:

I thought that as I was reading it! I suppose you have to be one of us select few who regularly read FWi to pick up on it though.
  • Sat, Apr 14 2012 18:10 In reply to

• Gulli
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 7 2010

bovril:
    welshnwilling:

I thought that as I was reading it! I suppose you have to be one of us select few who regularly read FWi to pick up on it though.

i thought the same thing, whilst i was thinking what a tit the  bloke who wrote it must be, as far as i'm concerned, making hard work of life for that one day at market where it all comes together is pointless, why not make your system easy and give your self time to enjoy life/ go off and earn money doing something else?

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 19:18 In reply to

Gulli:

bovril:
    welshnwilling:

i thought the same thing, whilst i was thinking what a tit the  bloke who wrote it must be, as far as i'm concerned, making hard work of life for that one day at market where it all comes together is pointless, why not make your system easy and give your self time to enjoy life/ go off and earn money doing something else?

He must be a forum regular or he wouldn't know about me eh ??

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 19:28 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

I spose the point was that he hoped to make a few extra quid for the extra work

welshnwilling:
    He must be a forum regular or he wouldn't know about me

Your more famous than you think

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 19:35 In reply to

• cymro
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 25 2007
    • cymru,gwlad y gwlan

welshnwilling:

He must be a forum regular or he wouldn't know about me eh ??

down the Gym now blydi hell wnw,you'll be parading round Aberystwyth in fake tan next,Wink
  • Sat, Apr 14 2012 19:53 In reply to

Anyone who knows me or even anyone who's seen me would know I'm not a gym fanatic. And as for the parading around Aber in fake tan Cymro, I was rather hoping to keep that to myself. It seems the cat's out of the bag now. Embarrassed

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 21:05 In reply to

• Gulli
    • Not Ranked

henarar:

I spose the point was that he hoped to make a few extra quid for the extra work

well i realise that but is he really with all the extra work hes putting in and i dont imagine hes still going to be able to jump off his bike onto a blackface when hes 60, whereas those lazy easy care farmers will be fresh as their newborn lambs

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 21:52 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

I thought he was all skin and bone after such a hard time lambing

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 21:56 In reply to

• Gulli
    • Not Ranked

he would say that, if he told everyone how easy it was they would all be doing it too and he wouldnt have his competitive edge

• Sat, Apr 14 2012 22:23 In reply to

Cheeky buggers ! I may not be as nimble as I was 20 yrs ago but I'll have you know I can jump off a quad and catch an ewe just as well as the next man. Though I don't need to very often. Stick out tongue
  • Sun, Apr 15 2012 9:26 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

welshnwilling:
    Cheeky buggers !

Ahh all this comes when you start to get talked about in the pressBig Smile

welshnwilling:
    I can jump off a quad and catch an ewe

Have a look at the Portequip atv calf catcher I dont no if it would work for sheep?

• Sun, Apr 15 2012 10:19 In reply to

henarar:
    Have a look at the Portequip atv calf catcher I dont no if it would work for sheep?

No I don't think it would. It's doubtful you could gain enough speed whilst still being able to hold the rope and steer.

But thanks for being so concerned about my welfare.Wink

• Sun, Apr 15 2012 11:21 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

henarar:

welshnwilling:
    Cheeky buggers !

all this comes when you get talked about in the press

They build you up, then they knock you down, that's the price of celebrity WnW! At least you haven't let it go to you're head, and we'll still be here for you when it all comes crashing down around you!!
  • Sun, Apr 15 2012 11:53 In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005

bovril:
    henarar:

welshnwilling:
    Cheeky buggers !

all this comes when you get talked about in the press

They build you up, then they knock you down, that's the price of celebrity WnW! At least you haven't let it go to you're head, and we'll still be here for you when it all comes crashing down around you!!

Claude Alleston from near Sudbury was pushing 100 before he gave up keeping around 40 pedigree Texel ewes, so I think W&W has a few years to go yet. Without knocking easy-care ideas at all, with bit of planning and culling, you can dramatically reduce the effort spent looking after most breeds.  Others in the area used to help Claude with shearing, and to be honest, looking after sheep was his main pleasure in life, and he would have been lost without them.

• Sun, Apr 15 2012 12:35 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

I was thinking of his celebrity status rather than his stockmanship! I've yet to see a photo of WnW with no knickers on and a bacardi breezer in one hand stumbling out of Sugarhut at 3am into a limo, but I fear it may not be long coming!!
  • Sun, Apr 15 2012 18:46 In reply to

andy h:
    selling Dorper lambs is a premium market for me.
    By dorper sheep do you mean the African ones? Dorset horn crossed Persian i think it is? , may i ask how you get on with them?
  • Sun, Apr 15 2012 19:16 In reply to

• andy h
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 18 2008
    • Fordingbridge, Hants United Kingdom.

They are inclined toward foot problems on heavy clays, they are fine on chalk and apparently do well on hill farms, long season breeding sufficient wool for wintering with early shedding as soon as the weather warms up, if you don't dock the wethers, there is increased interest from the Asian as well as African communities who value the fat tailed breeds.

The Dorper was developed from the Dorset horn/Black head persian for Karoo conditions with an export quality carcase, I started with the Wiltiper in my school days (Wiltshire horn/Persian) due to severe awn grass problems where we lived.

http://sangacattle.webs.com/
  • Sun, Apr 15 2012 21:49 In reply to

We bought a Dorper ram to improve the conformation on our easycare's. His daughters will breed out of season, even ewe lambs will get in lamb very early i.e. born in March, lamb in January.
  • Mon, Apr 16 2012 7:41 In reply to

• cymro
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 25 2007
    • cymru,gwlad y gwlan

welshnwilling:
    We bought a Dorper ram to improve the conformation on our easycare's.

is the Dorper wool shedding too.

• Mon, Apr 16 2012 8:23 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

Keep going like that and you could have lots in no time

• Mon, Apr 16 2012 8:28 In reply to

cymro: