Cookies & Privacy
in

Farm assured

Last post Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:17 by henarar. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 19:32

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

Farm assured

The slughter house that we take our barreners to has just told us that they will not take non farm assured cattle

So we will have to take them to market and I dont really want to do that find somewhere else or go farm assured

I dont really no much about farm assured always thought it was a con.

Who would be best to go with?

what sort of things do they look for when they come round?

how much do they charge are they all the same?

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 19:41 In reply to

Re: Farm assured

Farm Assurance is a doddle, make sure the animals are all clean, well fed and look content (as far as possible), tidy up any odd bits of scrap in the yard / hanging from buildings, make sure tags are in and medical records are all up to date.  The booklet looks scary when you first see it as it is quite large, but when you look at it, you are probably doing almost all of it anyway.

Ours is done through Milk Link, so don't know the proper cost, but it was £70 for unlimited beef stickers (only get 10 with a buyer paid dairy audit)  done by PAI.

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 21:16 In reply to

• BrownCow
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 4 2010
    • South Wales

Farmer Dan 6465:

Farm Assurance is a doddle, make sure the animals are all clean, well fed and look content (as far as possible), tidy up any odd bits of scrap in the yard / hanging from buildings, make sure tags are in and medical records are all up to date.  The booklet looks scary when you first see it as it is quite large, but when you look at it, you are probably doing almost all of it anyway.

Ours is done through Milk Link, so don't know the proper cost, but it was £70 for unlimited beef stickers (only get 10 with a buyer paid dairy audit)  done by PAI.

+1

You will need a lockable med store.  Keep a few feed receipts.  It makes it much less likely you will get a cross compliance inspection and if you did you would be ready.  The inspectors round here want to help you through it not catch you out as long as you have the right attitude.  If you get spooked someone on here will have the answer.

Do as you would be done by.
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 21:41 In reply to

Nothing to worry about henarar. Costs about £100 inc vat here.

Although I think every farmer should have refused to join at the start it's now too late to make a stand. These days it's a necessary evil.

Browncow is right though. The upside is that your paperwork and records are usually in good shape should you happen to get a cross compliance inspection. It's far better to be picked up about something by a farm assured inspector than an official one.

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/llechwedd-mawr-oq2
  • Thu, Apr 26 2012 21:55 In reply to

Be friendly, read most of the rule book, if the right answer is yes say "yes"  if it's no say "no" ( this could mean disregarding the truth for an hour!!)

Don't argue with the rules or shoot the messenger

Sign and date in the correct places

If you don't want them to see something leave it elsewhere

Remember inspectors need to find something wrong to show they've done their work properly so leave a little, easy to correct non-comformance for them to write down.

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 23:10 In reply to

The three main things for a farm inspection are

1. Paperwork.

2. Paperwork.

3. Paperwork.

A few other things off the top of my head -

Have your medicine records up to date and medicines in a locked cupboard. Hide any out of date meds.

Sharps container for used needles (old milk bottle in my case) Which you ask the vets to dispose of for you.

Keep water tanks free of sh*t.

Make sure your stock box is in good state of repair ie. loading gates, ramps and floor.

Gates and doors around buildings and yards in good condition - no sharp or loose bits.

Health plan. We have a FW year planner with a few days marked for worming, 8in1, bvd, lepto, etc. etc. (keeps them happy)

Manure plan. Map of the farm with a few fields shaded where you normally spread muck.

Movement book up to date.

Have some cattle pasports to hand for them to check.

Receipts for bought in feed / protien and a couple of analysis sheets.

They asked me once for a list of my college qualifications. Got my old tutor to write them out officially and they've never asked for it since  [:'(]

Sprays locked away.

Fert especially N hidden away from al quaeda.

Nice cup of coffee and cakes and biscuits.

Bucket of disinfectant for inspector to use on arrival and departure.

Just a few things that we've encountered during inspections. Mostly common sense and some ridiculous but achievable.

Good luck.

PS. If they suggest anything ridiculous that you should be doing, just say,"Damn, thats a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?"

• Thu, Apr 26 2012 23:25 In reply to

Very comprehensive list there davysboy, well done !

davysboy:
    PS. If they suggest anything ridiculous that you should be doing, just say,"Damn, thats a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?"

And if they ask a question and you don't know the answer just say "I'm not sure, what do you think ?"

Only thing I could add is make sure you worm your dogs and record the treatment.

Also like Phil Goodyear said, hide anything you don't want them to see, whether it's a lame cow or an old bottle of penicillin.

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/llechwedd-mawr-oq2
  • Fri, Apr 27 2012 9:09 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

Started to look through the red tractor sight last night then fell to sleep looks like lots of fun and paperwork

Pick one of them out and ring them up I spose?

Why did anyone do this in the first place I will never no?

• Sat, Apr 28 2012 8:17 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

This is going to be just another bit of money of every cow we sell about five or six cows a year about £20 a cow

Good job its only money isnt it

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
© RBI 2001-2010