Cookies & Privacy
in

Fence post failure

Last post Sat, Feb 13 2010 22:59 by welshnwilling. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 21:42

Fence post failure

Has anyone else had problems with post's rotting out after only a couple of years?

We have had gate posts and fence post's rotting off at ground level after less thean 2 years in the ground.

Last autumn our cattle handling system on some off ground ,fell down as we got the bullocks in narrowly missing my son. The post had only been up for 18months.

Mole Valley Farmers supplied all the material. 

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 21:49 In reply to

Re: Fence post failure

Where do mole valley get them from ? They can't have been properly treated OR they were rotten before treatment.

What do the suppliers say about it ?

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/llechwedd-mawr-oq2
  • Thu, Feb 11 2010 21:51 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

You dident by posts from mvf did you they did have some rubbish a copple of years ago dident look like they were treated properly seem better now proberly get them from a different place

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 21:56 In reply to

It will depent on were in the tree that the posts came from if they came from the center of the tree they will be weaker, also if they have not been tanalyzed well or with the right stuff this will effect the life of them. Yea i would take welshwillings advince and try and find out were they came from and try and find the process that they use to make them.

Perry

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 22:20 In reply to

l hear from the big fencing contractors, Mole Valley and/or the suppliers are blaming the new tanalising chemical.

Been told to switch to telegraph poles for strainers and gate posts. We rebuilt the handling system with sleepers

• Fri, Feb 12 2010 17:30 In reply to

• cymro
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 25 2007
    • cymru,gwlad y gwlan

been told this from a builder friend, they dont leave the posts to dry out before treating them with tanelise, "ie" tanelise stops water geting in the posts and if the posts have not dried stops water geting out of them whitch is why they rot,if the posts you buy are heavy dont touch.

• Fri, Feb 12 2010 18:10 In reply to

• katndog2
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 15 2007
    • the hills of mid-wales

We are having huge problems with our strainer  and gate posts. At the last count 8 have snapped (they had only been in the ground for 4 years) and on deer fencing it is not easy (or cheap) to replace them. We bought them from a local supplier who treats his own. When I took the snapped posts back his response was to replace like with like without even looking at the problem. Further investigation (with a chainsaw) showed that the treatment hadn't even penetrated the first few millimetres into the post. I will not buy any more products from this supplier and am now going to spend the next few years worrying when the posts will go.

Just out of interest, how light should a 12 foot long, 8-9 inch rustic post be? We have some coming from a new supplier in the next week, watch this space........

• Fri, Feb 12 2010 20:23 In reply to

• cymro
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 25 2007
    • cymru,gwlad y gwlan

Hi Katndog, we have a hell of a lot of fences that are all swaying in the wind all poles rotten by the ground,fneibouringh farmer buys his from the Lleyn Peninsula GLASFRYN FFENCING and the are good posts and are all light, you shouldnt have to strugle a lot lifting a 12 foot pole if its dried out properly.

• Fri, Feb 12 2010 20:29 In reply to

We have had the same problem (see thread last year). As the posts are apparently pressure treated in the tanalising process would immersion in sump oil/creosote actually penetrate enough to be effective?

Googling tanalising I came across a report by the old Henry Doubleday foundation that stated that untreated pine posts should last 5 years which is twice the lifetime of my "treated" posts.

Shropshire, where time stands still and life is never simple.
  • Fri, Feb 12 2010 23:20 In reply to

• sjk
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 26 2007
    • Kent, UK

We have been told that the reason being is that not only have they had to take the arsnic out of the treatment chemical which lowers the quality. But it also varies a bit between the imorts and UK ones as the UK ones are marginally better but not much. We are now looking to switch to Chestnut posts.

you could try soaking them in creasite but ideally to penertrate far they would need to be boiled in it for atleast 24 hours.

Sam

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    Groucho Marx
  • Sat, Feb 13 2010 22:59 In reply to

A man from Ceredigion now sells Creosote treated posts. He claims they last twice as long as tanalised. They certainly look good but cost about double ! Will let you know in thirty years if they're any good.

Isabel- I promise I'm not advertising and I have no connection to this man, but if anybody's interested I could find his number for them.

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/llechwedd-mawr-oq2
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
© RBI 2001-2010