Cookies & Privacy
in

Fencing Prices

Last post Fri, Jun 17 2011 17:52 by ragingbull. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 10:49

• Lazy Sod
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • West Wiltshire

Fencing Prices

I have asked a fencing contractor to quote for some fencing.  The spec. is:  Stock netting on 4" round creosoted posts at 3 metre spacing, with 6" strutted straining posts at 50 metre spacing, and each change of direction, with 2 strands of barbed wire on top.  The price quoted is £6.20 per metre + vat.  Is this a fair price?

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 18:04 In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005

Re: Fencing Prices

Lazy Sod:

I have asked a fencing contractor to quote for some fencing.  The spec. is:  Stock netting on 4" round creosoted posts at 3 metre spacing, with 6" strutted straining posts at 50 metre spacing, and each change of direction, with 2 strands of barbed wire on top.  The price quoted is £6.20 per metre + vat.  Is this a fair price?

You would get cheaper in some areas, but it's certainly not a rip-off - as long as the work is good. The specification is a standard one, and is fine, but I would ask for an example of their work to go and have a look at.

If I may air a personal hobby horse, I would substitute plain wire for barbed UNLESS the fencing is for cattle. Barbs don't much increase the security of the fence for sheep or horses, but can and do sometimes cause nasty injuries.

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 19:51 In reply to

• avalon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 21 2008

£4.25/m + :£25/ strainer for that spec.
  • Sun, Jun 5 2011 22:36 In reply to

I would say thats expensive for chesnut? I am a contractor and woud happily put up chesnut, 8ft 6-7" strainers (where needed),8ft struts, 5"6 intermediate rounds every 2m with ht wire, 2 strands barb,40mm staples, gripple joins etc for £4.75 -£5m and expect to put up 200-250m average/day depending on conditions. Chesnut gives good value but beware of cheaper treated softwod unless you want to replace the wood work in 3-4yrs

• Mon, Jun 6 2011 21:40 In reply to

• ragingbull
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Cambridgeshire

We recently had 900 metres erected on the same spec. The contractor charged £1.70 per metre to erect and I supplied the materials which cost - £1.75 /4'' stake, £6.80/ straining post (7' x 6''), £62/ 100m stock fence ( british made C8/80/15), £22.75/ 200m barbed wire, which works out to about £3.30/ metre erected. All materials supplied by CWG (Stamford Ltd)
  • Tue, Jun 7 2011 16:13 In reply to

Is that ex VAT? mine would work out £3.80 without it and thats with plenty of strainer/strut allowance because often its not straight line work!. Thats a keen price for your fencing, I would charge £1.85-£2.00 depending on time of year etc just to put it up and thats quite cheap where we are. Would be interested to know what stock net that was because I used to use diamond brand which was £68 ish a roll but wasnt happy with the quality so use a more expensive wire now which is about £86/ 100m roll but well worth extra cost. How many metres were those boys doing a day? would have to be hitting at least 200 I would have thought at that price

• Fri, Jun 17 2011 17:52 In reply to

• ragingbull
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Cambridgeshire

Yes that's ex VAT but there was an offer on at the time, the wire was made by Mittal and seems OK, they finished in less than 3 days so thats 300m per day and it was pretty much a straight run.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
© RBI 2001-2010