Cookies & Privacy
in

Ford 7840

Last post Sat, Dec 18 2010 23:42 by debird. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 9:24

• farmer dan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2007
    • Cockerham, Lancaster

Ford 7840

Hi all,

We have our eye on a Ford 7840 SLE and a Ford 7840 SE ( i think its an SE) Anyway I was just wondering what either tractors are like on a whole!?!?! I know the SLE has a few doings with the gearbox but apart from that do any of you folk have any other let downs on either of these two tractors?!?! Any feedback would be much appreciated! :D

Cheers,

Dan

Born British die British!
    Keep Britain farming
  • Mon, Apr 14 2008 9:36 In reply to

Re: Ford 7840

dont touch the one with electric gears. otherwise its a good tractor.

• Mon, Apr 14 2008 12:55 In reply to

• Jim Bean
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Mornington peninsula AU

Hi Dan

I had a 7740sle for 9 years never any real problems- gearbox is great. Had a second hand 7840 sle on trial once, it came from a contractor -l was warned its brakes had been worn right out previously and all the bits would have affected the gearbox.  In second gear with a cultivator in the ground it wouldnt move the gearbox just slipped. I took it out on a steep field and it just took off.  Still worth buying a good one , but make sure you test it at home in all the gears.

regards Jim

• Mon, Apr 14 2008 19:57 In reply to

Dan.

Weve had one 7840sle and a 8340sle which is still about. The 7840 was a white cabbed one and was a complete pain. It was always losing gears so we'd be permanently calibrating it-like that it hasnt stayed on farm. The 8340 is a blue top and a different kettle and has been on the farm since 1998. Pay the extra go for any blue topped 40 series as they have different software in the gearboxes and will save any headaches.

Apart from that as long as you go blue top you will be buying Newhollands most reliable tractor series.

• Mon, Apr 14 2008 23:01 In reply to

Ooer! where do i start with this one??? If i was you id run while you can! We had 7740, 7840 and 8340 and lets just say erm after having to get nasty with the dealer, who had to send out the manufactur as they couldnt sort out the huge list of problems we left and went to case 135, we had major electric problems, error codes ago go, my tractor clocked up 11 differant codes in half an hour!  my 77 used to literally throw machinery to the floor at the speed of light at any given moment, causing no end of damage, brakes on the 78 were also a nightmare, we had both blue and white cabbed units and a more than 1 of each model, serviced beyond requirements, im glad of the day we left these awful machines in yesteryear! nbsp;

I'm tired of political jokes, ive seen too many of them get elected....
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 0:31 In reply to

• robexel
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2008
    • Cheshire

I had an 8340 SLE white roof.  The gearbox was really rough, had to use both feet on the brakes, throttle was super hard and the PTO kept randomly cutting out.  The drive shaft to the front axle often slipped when reversing, especially on hills or with a heavy trailer, and the 3pt links were very loose fitting.  The trailer brakes leaked and spools were not the best, and the engine didn't have a lot of torque low down, so there were lots of rough gear changes going up hills.  The fuel filler cap is high up at the front of the bonnet, I needed a stepladder, and lightbulbs were blowing out all the time.  Apart from that it was a quality tractor. Big Smile

Strategery of co-opetition will embiggen a cromulent future.
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 20:16 In reply to

• farmer dan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 13 2007
    • Cockerham, Lancaster

Well thanks very much for all your speedy write-ups! :D  Well most of you seem to have some slight 'faults', as we may call then! :P, with the ford 7840. I will have a look at the 40 series (blue cab). This is a very wide question to be asking you lot but what all round tractor would you reccomend, about 110/1120 bhp?!?! You know, reliable, strong, good all rounder i suppose! :D I was just looking for one thats all as i am only 16! :D I have bought a baler and on the way to buying a mower to do a few general jobs for the locals! :D

Well mother has just brewed up so i best go! :D

Thanks once again!

Dan

Born British die British!
    Keep Britain farming
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 21:31 In reply to

simple... case mx120 or even better mx135! when you punish a tractor as much as we do you will see why i say that, as i have mentioned in another post my old mx135 would mop the floor with my now Jd6920, the gears are abit clunky but dam good grunting and reliable tractors with not many stupid electrics to go wrong. Enjoy!

I'm tired of political jokes, ive seen too many of them get elected....
  • Tue, Apr 15 2008 23:49 In reply to

• robexel
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2008
    • Cheshire

It depends on your workload really.  If you're in a big way I would suggest a Deere 6410 or similar size, but if it's just a bit of local fieldwork you may be better off with a Ford 6600, Deere 2140, Fendt 309, something smaller and older (our Ford 6600 was quality at 15+ years old).  These machines will be much cheaper and parts should be easy to find.

Don't forget, if you get more work you can always hire, a brand new 130hp tractor costs about £10,000 a year.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how it goes. Wink

Strategery of co-opetition will embiggen a cromulent future.
  • Sat, Apr 19 2008 21:54 In reply to

• romaniafarm
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 9 2007
    • Arad/Bucharest, Romania

we have a 7740 SE on the farm at home in Ireland, it has about 6,800 hours on it, only bought it 3 years ago with 2,700 I think was on it, was owned by a very carefull farmer in Scotland, very clean and straight, we also have a 7740 SE & 77840 SLE bought down the years, not a days trouble from the gear box in any of them, when buying buy the blue cab modle as most of the eairly white cab had a number of problems, a farmer 2 miles away has a 7740 SLE and the tractor seem to be a Monday morning job, trouble every day with it, here in Romania I have not seen a 7740 or 7840 yet in any form or shape yet, but i guess they will be arriving in the years ahead. 

Irish farmer based in Romania, where some of the best agriculture land in Europe is
  • Thu, Apr 24 2008 9:09 In reply to

• bluepaint
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 23 2007
    • MANITOBA CANADA

Most people i know would say the opposite and give the SLE the vote.....I've owned 3 (turbo's) and worked for a guy with 9 (both trannies) and i would rate them above any red or green of equivalent age..(K-N) ,Just the best all round performer ,Simple,nice to use,.....What more.. i think they were fantastic and did'nt really have a "Bad one"...?

• Sat, Apr 26 2008 22:31 In reply to

just bought a 1994 7840sle,great old bus.a few oil leaks,but nothing major(as yet) for 7000hrs on the clock.was warned off one with no oil leaks as they might have no oil left.

• Sun, Apr 27 2008 16:18 In reply to

• nb857
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 13 2008

I've driven quite a lot of 40 series right from their launch. The first ones with the white roof and the black band (1992) around the bottom of the roof were basicly good tractors and a revolation compaired to the 10 series, but they had not got all (that should be any) of the bugs out of them. They got better each year. As has been said the blue roofed ones are the best and of those the New Holland badged ones with the rounded plastic rear fenders are the best of those, by miles.

The SL transmission had a few issues getting stuck in gear, but there was a mod' for them. The SLE transmissions have been pretty good. They can get a bit rough to shift, but a calibration sorts that out, there is a jump 2-3rd or 6-7th, (it's the same gear) 6-7th is rough on the road, the other shifts are fine.

There is more info on the dash than most tractors for the SLE models and the performance monitor is good. The 0-99 numbers for the poistion of the 3pt is a stroke of genius and I still don't know why all tractors don't use it. Once in a while it will "forget" it has a radar and the speedo will go bonkers. Just put the number back in to refresh it's memory or sometimes they just remember it again...

If it spits fan belts off it needs an idler pully. The air conditioning is very powerfull and will keep you cool as long as the rads' clear.

I've never known a problem with the engines, they do click for a few seconds from cold untill the oil is circulating, but are very reliable. There is room for 2 batteries, but there is only one. Fit 2 I say.

The swing back pickup hitch is more simple and stronger than those poxy Dromone things we all must have now, and have a better hook too.  

The 7840 is a better tractor than the larger engined 8240, I don't know why, but they seem to pull better. The lastest 8340 you can find with blue roof and plastic fenders will make as good a tractor as you will ever need, but don't be shy with the front weights!

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 19:16 In reply to

we have bought a ford 7840 and would like to know if all of them have a noisy back end

its like a whining/grinding noise and was woundring if it was normal or not

• Sun, Aug 22 2010 22:17 In reply to

• mursal
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2009

Hi Aidan, welcome along, seem to remember they all whine a bit, all you can really do apart from stripping it down and reloading the diff is check the oil level/condition in the back end.

• Tue, Aug 24 2010 12:49 In reply to

good man

thanks for letting me know :)

• Wed, Aug 25 2010 18:40 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

I'm going to go against what everyone else has said, and sing the praises of the 40 series!

I have an 8340 (white cab, quad-mod [that's with the de-clutch button on the forward/reverser]) with 11000 hours and it's wonderful.

The electrics started to play up a bit, but I connected up a second battery (there's room for two on the tray) and that solved all of them, although I've no idea how or why!

She needed a gearbox rebuild at 10k hours, which wasn't cheap, but quite do-able, and I think caused by being run with hardly any oil in the back end! (Not my doing I hasten to add!) The brakes were re-furbed at the same time, but I do agree with the others that they are a bit pathetic, you definitely need the trailer well braked if you're hauling much load.

The engine seems unbreakable, it's been boiled dry to the point of seizing at least 3 times, (again, not me!) but started again with jump leads once she was cold. (A ring snatched one of the times, but that wasn't too hard to sort out.)

She does most of the haulage work (keeps up with 50k tractors), runs the mini Hesston, does a bit of cultivation and ploughing, sits for a few days on the big grain store fan, and I've no intention of changing her for a good few years yet.

• Wed, Aug 25 2010 19:07 In reply to

I bought an 8240 in 1995, and it was so awful it brought 36 years of Ford ownership to an abrupt end in this farm. Interesting to read the comment about 'throwing implements to the ground' - that was one of the worst things it did; blooming terrifying with a fully loaded p/harrow/drill combo on the back. I remember the mobile phone (my first one) being blamed for interfering with electrics.

I remember the moment I decided it had to go was when smoke started coming from the seat halfway across a field....Fire in the seat and my gaseous expulsions? Very dangerous.

I also remember the salesman's line about the front mounted diesel tank and filler - up where you'd expect the radiator cap to be. "Ah," he said. "Very useful for extra ballast." One day I'll do an article about bizarre claims by salesmen, and that'll be one of them!

There wasn't much of a happy ending, though: I traded it in for a Mk 1 Deutz Agrotron. Aaaaaaaaaagh! 19 breakdowns in 19 months......

• Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:25 In reply to

The later oned do look dairly sexy......

• Fri, Oct 1 2010 12:18 In reply to

• mraidan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 1 2010

hi, aidan here lost my orther password

i was at the silage the orther day and went to put onTongue Tied the mower, so i got her hooked up but the pto but it wouldent go.

so then my dad went up and it took off no bother

so i was just thinking what would be wrong with her or did i not put it on right

ps

the clock stopeed working but the hand reve is working what would be the problem

Filed under:
  • Fri, Oct 1 2010 12:53 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Could be the pto switch has given up (mine had a new one a couple of years ago), or it could just be corroded connectors on the back of the switch. Mine went annoyingly intermittant before I changed it.
  • Fri, Oct 1 2010 13:54 In reply to

• mursal
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2009

As Bovril said probably a bad connection. Check your fuses for one blown and bad connections at the fuse. Also engage the PTO (with nothing connected to it) and shake the wiring loom to see if it kicks into life.

• Sat, Dec 18 2010 23:42 In reply to

• debird
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Nov 14 2009
    • The edge of the pond

If its the twist pto engagement, whats happened is its spun around and twisted the wires, just mean taking it off and refitting it

Don't wait for the iron to be hot before striking, rather make it hot by striking
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
© RBI 2001-2010