Cookies & Privacy
in

How Old Do You Have To Be To Work On A Farm?

Last post Tue, May 22 2012 9:41 by the beast. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 16 2012 20:05

How Old Do You Have To Be To Work On A Farm?

Hi,

I'm 12 in a few months and I was wondering how old you have to be to work on a farm. I know you have to be 13 or 14 to use machinery with permission but i want to just know how old you have to be to work on a farm normally. I want to know this because my Nan and Grandad have been farming for their whole life and I help up there if I can but I want somewhere where I can go and work a few times a week say.

And heres another question, if you are working on a farm but you are not getting paid is that classed as a job or just helping?

Thanks, please get back. 

• Fri, May 18 2012 19:25 In reply to

Re: How Old Do You Have To Be To Work On A Farm?

dont think theres any legal age and about being 13 to work machines i was twele when i first hauled bales with a single spike.

i think you could class helping on the farm as a job not that it really matters

my girls
  • Fri, May 18 2012 21:20 In reply to

Alright thanks a lot.
  • Sat, May 19 2012 6:47 In reply to

• Jacobus
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Worcestershire
    • Trusted Users

fordtractor7740 - you need to be very careful and anyone employing young people under school leaving age (last Friday in June of your final year) has to jump through various hoops to comply with the law.  From the employer's perspective there are heavy fines for employing an illegal worker and from from your perspective you would probably find that you would not be covered by the farm's employers liability insurance.

Unless the farm you are helping out on is run by your parents I believe the rules would apply and, whether or not you were receiving a wage, you would be considered a worker.

In the UK it is illegal to employ anyone under the age of 13.

From 13 to 14 the type of work you can do is severely restricted (on a farm - light agricutural work not involving machinery).  The rules are relaxed slightly between 14 and 16.  In any case the employment of people below school leaving age has to have permission from and be registered with the local education authority.

In addition to the national legal framework many local authorities have byelaws covering child labour. 

To find out more look on the website of your local education authority (County Council or Unitary Authority) or ring their education department.  You will probably find there is a leaflet available explaning the position fully.

• Sat, May 19 2012 10:07 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

Wasnt there a case a copple of weeks ago in FW I cant find it now about a farm that was fined when the 17 year old farmers son  crashed a tellehandler

They said that anyone under 18 had to have proper training and that incuded tractors

• Mon, May 21 2012 18:46 In reply to

Jacobus:

fordtractor7740 - you need to be very careful and anyone employing young people under school leaving age (last Friday in June of your final year) has to jump through various hoops to comply with the law.  From the employer's perspective there are heavy fines for employing an illegal worker and from from your perspective you would probably find that you would not be covered by the farm's employers liability insurance.

Unless the farm you are helping out on is run by your parents I believe the rules would apply and, whether or not you were receiving a wage, you would be considered a worker.

In the UK it is illegal to employ anyone under the age of 13.

From 13 to 14 the type of work you can do is severely restricted (on a farm - light agricutural work not involving machinery).  The rules are relaxed slightly between 14 and 16.  In any case the employment of people below school leaving age has to have permission from and be registered with the local education authority.

In addition to the national legal framework many local authorities have byelaws covering child labour. 

To find out more look on the website of your local education authority (County Council or Unitary Authority) or ring their education department.  You will probably find there is a leaflet available explaning the position fully.

I have done some research and asked a friend and he said you can work on a farm at 13 so you are legally insured and that you CAN use machinery at 13 on private land with permission.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 19:51 In reply to

Insured to drive machinery on private land at age 13, you are doing very well. I'm 16 and have found it a massive challenge to find a farm where i will be insured.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 19:58 In reply to

Joshua Denley:
    Insured to drive machinery on private land at age 13, you are doing very well. I'm 16 and have found it a massive challenge to find a farm where i will be insured.
    I meant you are insured to work on a farm normally.I think at 13 you can use machinery on private land with permission.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 20:01 In reply to

fordtractor7740:
    Joshua Denley:
    I meant you are insured to work on a farm normally.I think at 13 you can use machinery on private land with permission.
    My friend that I asked is 13 and the farm that he works on in Weston super mare he is legally insured to work there. So..
  • Mon, May 21 2012 21:14 In reply to

There is a difference between manual labour and the use of machinery. I can find manual work no problems, but work involving machinery (e.g. tractor driving) was very difficult. I was just going by what I know happens/ed to me. Also been on a tractor 'safety' course when was younger and that clears many things up for legal purposes.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 21:30 In reply to

Joshua Denley:
    There is a difference between manual labour and the use of machinery. I can find manual work no problems, but work involving machinery (e.g. tractor driving) was very difficult. I was just going by what I know happens/ed to me. Also been on a tractor 'safety' course when was younger and that clears many things up for legal purposes.
    Ah, I see. Can you tell me a bit more about the course please.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 22:07 In reply to

Have dropped you a message with a few details.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 22:23 In reply to

Tis a bit of a difficult one this topic, is there a minimum age or not?

I am fortunate to have been born into a farming family, and as such I started young, very young, feeding calves and learning to steer a tractor from the age of 5.

As a 9 year old I was driving a tractor rowing up silage with a haybob on a 35 while my father was in the same field baling.  Was this too young? probably yes, and the neighbours in the houses beside one field thought so too.

At 12 I was milking alone, not regularly, but would do it when there was nobody else on the farm, dad told me only recently that when I was 12 and at home milking because he had a meeting to be at, a neighbouring farmer asked who was milking, and was shocked to find that I was doing it.  Was this too young? probably yes

At 15 I was left at home to run the farm while the rest of the family had a weeks holiday, had 2 cows calve and 20 acres of second cut silage to do + day to day jobs.  Was this too young? probably yes

Thankfully all has gone well, and I am grateful to my father for the opportunities that were given to me, but there is no way I would expect to take on someone at 13 and send them out to do these jobs without some serious training and supervision first.  And to add to this maturity is more important than age.

• Mon, May 21 2012 22:32 In reply to

Farmer Dan, I would love to of had the opportunities of being born on to a farm but it had gone out of the family by my time. But being allowed to do things on a farm which is your own is very different. Have to agree the maturity bit as well. Many people see 16 year olds as very immature, but then there are people like me around who are very mature and sensible and want to learn. It just seems the opportunities can be very limiting.
  • Mon, May 21 2012 23:52 In reply to

• Jacobus
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Worcestershire
    • Trusted Users

fordtractor7740:
    I have done some research and asked a friend and he said you can work on a farm at 13 so you are legally insured and that you CAN use machinery at 13 on private land with permission.

fordtractor7740  -  I don't know where you have researched but here is a link to the appropriate page of the Somerset County Council website where you will find various leaflets to download or view.  They set out clearly what work young people are not permitted to do (which includes working near dangerous machinery) and how to go about obtaining the necessary child work permit.  The advice your friend gave you is correct in that you can work on a farm at 13, but not with machinery.  What you can or cannot do on your own family's farm or elsewhere if not regarded as being part of a job is a different matter. 

Good luck and stay safe.

• Tue, May 22 2012 8:38 In reply to

Farmer Dan 6465:

Tis a bit of a difficult one this topic, is there a minimum age or not?

I am fortunate to have been born into a farming family, and as such I started young, very young, feeding calves and learning to steer a tractor from the age of 5.

As a 9 year old I was driving a tractor rowing up silage with a haybob on a 35 while my father was in the same field baling.  Was this too young? probably yes, and the neighbours in the houses beside one field thought so too.

At 12 I was milking alone, not regularly, but would do it when there was nobody else on the farm, dad told me only recently that when I was 12 and at home milking because he had a meeting to be at, a neighbouring farmer asked who was milking, and was shocked to find that I was doing it.  Was this too young? probably yes

At 15 I was left at home to run the farm while the rest of the family had a weeks holiday, had 2 cows calve and 20 acres of second cut silage to do + day to day jobs.  Was this too young? probably yes

Thankfully all has gone well, and I am grateful to my father for the opportunities that were given to me, but there is no way I would expect to take on someone at 13 and send them out to do these jobs without some serious training and supervision first.  And to add to this maturity is more important than age.

I too started learning how to steer a tractor at 5 when I was up my grandads farm. I think I was just gone 11 when I first drove a tractor on my own. I do various jobs when I can up there like dung spreading, grass harrowing and hauling bales on a spike. So I have had quite a bit of experience too. I don't go up there as much as I used to now. That is why I posted this thread so I could see if I could work more often on a farm. My friend has said that he would pick me up in the summer holidays to go to the farm that he works on. Anyway, thanks for all the comments people, it's been a lot of help.
  • Tue, May 22 2012 8:46 In reply to

Jacobus:

fordtractor7740:

fordtractor7740  -  I don't know where you have researched but here is a link to the appropriate page of the Somerset County Council website where you will find various leaflets to download or view.  They set out clearly what work young people are not permitted to do (which includes working near dangerous machinery) and how to go about obtaining the necessary child work permit.  The advice your friend gave you is correct in that you can work on a farm at 13, but not with machinery.  What you can or cannot do on your own family's farm or elsewhere if not regarded as being part of a job is a different matter. 

Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks a lot I am checking the site now.
  • Tue, May 22 2012 9:41 In reply to

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Hi all,

Just a personal opinion. 

I understand your desire to get working with machinery (tractors etc), lord knows I was a constant pain in my Dads a**e - I would have done anything to get involved. 

He was wise enough to make me wait until he was sure I could be safe, this for me was 16 and looking back this was the right thing to do - although at the time I didn't agree.

You should not be driving or working with machinery on your own if you are under 16 years old, again my opinion.

If there was an accident the consequences would be devastating for you and your family, not to mention the other people you hurt or at the very least the impact the HSE will have when they throw the book at whoever sat you on a tractor.  

As for the argument that people ‘used to drive tractors when they were 12,’ people also used to drive tractors without roll bars, they used to drive sprayers without cabs, and they used to smoke like chimneys, so just because it used to be done doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.  

Because I was not farming I found other things to do with my time which were really important as they opened my eyes to the opportunities the rest of the world has to offer, farming is a small part of a very big picture.

I promise when you are 16 and you have your tractor license and some proper training  and you’re able to work with big machinery safely the fact you had to wait will be irrelevant.

PS

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

http://www.fwi.co.uk/academy/article/111848/safety-5-child-safety.html

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
© RBI 2001-2010