Cookies & Privacy
in

Job hunting

Last post Thu, Jun 28 2012 23:26 by Jacobus. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 21 2012 9:55

Job hunting

We're running a piece in the June 29 issue of FW about job hunting. It's aimed mainly at school- and college-leavers, but a lot of the principles apply to anyone looking for a new job. So I wonder if anyone wants to share any pears of wisdom about application forms and interviews.

I'll start us off with one point which I've always thought was important and that's: Don't lie. It's important to "talk up" your qualifications and experience and make what you've done/achieved sound good and relevant. But there's a difference between this and lying! Employers aren't (on the whole!) stupid and it's too easy to get caught out.

For a round-up of quirky rural news see my blog Field Day
  • Thu, Jun 21 2012 19:18 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

Re: Job hunting

On entering the room, wait to be asked to be seated.

Keep eye contact with the person talking to you and make sure when you speak that you let your eyes dwell on everyone in the room.

Do not fold your arms across your body at any time. Do not try to tell a joke. 

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 21:01 In reply to

• ade b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 7 2011

P M A

positive mental attitude

belive in all you can do and all you can be

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 21:43 In reply to

I have had students turning up here for interviews for lambing work with their hoodies up and their hands firmly planted in their pockets. I didn't take any of them on obviously. I wasn't expecting them to wear a suit and tie but some effort is required. Politeness and honesty are expected though, also a positive attitude and willingness to learn. This is more important than qualifications IMHO

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 21:51 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

Best thing for them to turn up in is overalls and boots then if you like the look of them you can tell them to get on with it

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 16:14 In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor

henarar:

Best thing for them to turn up in is overalls and boots then if you like the look of them you can tell them to get on with it

I'm not sure that would go down all that well with the majority of potential employers.  I agree with WnW that a suit is quite possibly OTT, and could be an embarassment, however turning up in something reasonably smart is a mark of respect to the employer.  Bringing wellie boots and a boiler suite to change into if needed might well give a few extra brownie points though: you can always mention you've got them, even if the interview isn't the sort where getting stuck-in isn't appropriate, and you don't need them.

Qualifications can be a quick way of telling the employer what he might expect from the candidate, but it doesn't do to either insist on them or equally to expect the candidate to be able to do things mentioned in their qualifications in the way that you as an employer wants.  There are few agricultural tasks that cannot be learned in a few hours with the right attitude and a bit of effort.  Equally, the over-confident know-all with a string of qualifications is a disaster in virtually any type of employment.  "I'll have a go if you can show me what you want doing" , is a very positive statement, and difficult to fault.

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 21:54 In reply to

2658336:
    "I'll have a go if you can show me what you want doing" , is a very positive statement, and difficult to fault.

+1

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

• Wed, Jun 27 2012 15:24 In reply to

welshnwilling:
    I have had students turning up here for interviews for lambing work with their hoodies up and their hands firmly planted in their pockets. I didn't take any of them on obviously. I wasn't expecting them to wear a suit and tie but some effort is required. Politeness and honesty are expected though, also a positive attitude and willingness to learn.

Yes, definitely agree with that. What people wear doesn't matter, in itself - but someone's prepardness to dress smartly/appropriately is often indicative of their willingness to make an effort...

• Wed, Jun 27 2012 15:31 In reply to

I know not everyone on here is a fan of TwitterBig Smile but I thought I'd share some of the comments that people have been leavnig on Twitter about this:

Refrain from one word answers and don't forget to do up your shoelaces.
    @SouthYeoFarm

For interviews: confidence. Laugh at their jokes (no matter how bad). Eye contact. Be friendly. Dress smart.
    @NikkiGuest

Wear something subtle that makes you stand out. My fun sock collection always gets comments and helps them remember me!
    @benholt69

Be punctual, and think about how you can convince your potential employer that you genuinely do want the job on offer.
    @cocklepark

Spelling on cv or letters and turn up at right time for interview.
    @hertsfarming

Research your potential employer in detail.
    @themanorhousebb

@HopeChatter
    Start your own business - then you don't need an interview!

Don't pretend to know everything, and show you want to progress.
    @csljohnkirby

Be prepared and do your homework on both your prospective employer as well as their market and any competitors you know of.
    @JenniferCeres
  • Wed, Jun 27 2012 18:52 In reply to

• Stewart
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Bay of Plenty NZ

A firm handshake and eye contact- First impressions count. You should also interview the prospective employer on what you expect from them and the working conditions that you will be under.
  • Wed, Jun 27 2012 21:36 In reply to

• AllyR
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Scotland
    • Trusted Users

I like the last two items.

On Tim's Twitter list,- the last one which says "Be prepared and do your homework.........."

and in Stewart's list: the "first impression" is possibly your last chance of the job. Be pleasantly smart, keen and come prepared with as good a knowledge of the subject as possible. and do not be afraid to ask questions, it's your future as well as your employer's.

If it is at a farm be sure to have your wellies and a jacket in the boot.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
  • Thu, Jun 28 2012 23:26 In reply to

• Jacobus
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Worcestershire
    • Trusted Users

AllyR:
    On Tim's Twitter list,- the last one which says "Be prepared and do your homework.........."
    Ally, I liked that one too but I would add, especially in the current climate, do a credit check!
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
© RBI 2001-2010