Cookies & Privacy
in

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

Last post Wed, Aug 21 2002 21:32 by anonymous. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 21 2002 21:32

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

WANTING ADVICE ON Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS ARE THEY ANY GOOD WANTING ONE TO USE ON GRASSLAND AND NOT LEAVE A MESS
  • Wed, Aug 21 2002 22:35

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

I would try a Flatlift, the only problem with the flatlift in hard conditions is if you hit a stone with one of the discs is will bend the shaft the disc runs on.
  • Wed, Aug 21 2002 22:50

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

Had one for a fair few years, they are bullet proof. About 10 years ago we were pulling the thing with 100hp at about 6inches to bust the surface. We now get in the habbit of removing legs down to the 4 at the rear and pull it up to the beam with 200hp, and in our clay 4 nice drains are left. Only one thing don't bother with the shake (1/2kg@540rpm vs 8ton - it only rattles your fillings when you lift it out the ground)
  • Thu, Aug 22 2002 11:47 In reply to

McCONNEL SHAKAERATORS

No shake ? - why not switch off the PTO when you lift if your dentures are such a problem. I used to pull a five leg with a 2wd Ford 6610 on duals. Tried switching the shake off just to see - and I ground to a halt. Definitely less draft in hard dry conditions with the shake on. I believe it was designed in Oz for breaking calcrete in just those conditions. Calcrete is a calcium salt deposit which can form a pan in some soils - hard enough to be named after concrete.
  • Thu, Aug 22 2002 15:37

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

Depends on what you call a mess Tom. I have an old 4.5 metre one which is about 12 years old now. It does what I want it to do. Basically you can run it two ways: 1. Run it deep down to the frame at a slow speed to subsoil down to 16 inches. 2. Run it at about 8 inches at a faster speed and you get a boiling action. I do both depending on conditions and what is required. If you wanting to not disturb your grass then perhaps its not really the tool for you. I have about 50 acres of grass and when I subsoil it I get out an old potato bedformer frame and bolt on 2 proper subsoiling legs. These are very thin legs with wings and points on it. Put these behind the tractor wheels and off I go. Its a very crude way of doing it but the whole thing cost £80 to make. My wings and points last me about 4 years as I occasionally bust up very deep tramlines with it. James
  • Thu, Aug 22 2002 20:50 In reply to

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

we've tried a flatlift they make to much mess in the grass paddocks we also have a shakerator didn't notice to much difference with pto in so we dont bother maybe if you did pull it slow and deep you may be ok we welded a bracket on ours to pull a heavy roll to squash the ground behind.
  • Fri, Aug 23 2002 20:09 In reply to

McCONNEL SHAKAERATORS

Will my 140hp JD6910 pull a 7 leg at 9-12 inches?
  • Fri, Aug 23 2002 20:43

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

I seem to recall that Mc Connell made a specific grassland model with disc cutters in front of the legs and rollers behind to close the slits. have a look at their website.
  • Fri, Aug 23 2002 22:57 In reply to

Mc CONNEL SHAKERATORS

i HAVE THE DISCS, YOU TAKE THE FRONT LEGS OFF AND FIT THE DISCS ON THE FRONT BEAM , TO CUT THE TURF INFRONT OF THE REAR LEGS, WORKS WELL, ESP WITH AN OXFORD ROLLER.
  • Sat, Aug 24 2002 11:40 In reply to

McCONNEL SHAKAERATORS

Yes it should easily, I started with 100hp on one at about that depth. I still don't see the point in the shake but if you are used to rumbling over stone you don't notice much. They are good machines just wish they could be wider. Give them as much stick as you can (but don't try ripping out long lost pylon foundations:)
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
© RBI 2001-2010