Cookies & Privacy
in

New NFU campaign

Last post Sat, May 26 2012 14:45 by baa-lamb. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 18 2012 10:40

New NFU campaign

The NFU is launching a new campaign to get consumers to buy British and so help farmers.

It's a three-year campaign that'll be called 'Farming Delivers for Britain' and will focus on six areas - providing food, environmental benefits, economic growth, clean energy, careers and world-class animal welfare.

With consumers more interetsed in food and (on the whole!) supportive of farmers, it strikes me it's a good time to do this...

For a round-up of quirky rural news see my blog Field Day
  • Fri, May 18 2012 12:03 In reply to

• Dick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 12 2007

Re: New NFU campaign

Tim.Relf:

The NFU is launching a new campaign to get consumers to buy British and so help farmers.

It's a three-year campaign that'll be called 'Farming Delivers for Britain' and will focus on six areas - providing food, environmental benefits, economic growth, clean energy, careers and world-class animal welfare.

With consumers more interetsed in food and (on the whole!) supportive of farmers, it strikes me it's a good time to do this...

Excellent idea, well done NFU, definitely the way forward!

Proactive marketing.  I like it.

DickYes

• Fri, May 18 2012 13:42 In reply to

• motley
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Suffolk

Tim.Relf:
    With consumers more interetsed in food and (on the whole!) supportive of farmers, it strikes me it's a good time to do this

Yes Tim I agree, but.............

I have just hit the latest poll on this question and 95% of contributors disagree with you and I.

This says so much about folk who come along here. It does not help when 95% out of 222 people on the poll take a view against the part of humanity that purchases their products.

This type of thing is enough to make me go back to purchases at tesco as opposed to local farm shop, but I won't.

Why oh why do farmers: <1% of the population hate the other 99% so much.

Why don't farmers see themselves as part of the development of all mankind that went from hunter gathering to farming and so settle into populations that are now cities, based around organisation of society on principles of living together, that we call religions.

I guess I never will understand.........heh ho.

Farming is for us, all.
  • Fri, May 18 2012 13:56 In reply to

Why is the NFU using a boat to convey Peter Kendall to Parliament? I know we've just had the wettest April on record but why a boat if the intention is to get a (land based) farming message across to MPs?
  • Fri, May 18 2012 13:56 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Can you not see that you are contradicting yourself there, Motley, in your enthusiasm to knock British farmers?

The poll is asking the question whether we think the public recognises the importance of agriculture to the economy, not whether we hate the public! If we thought everyone recognised farmings importance, there would be no need for a campaign to inform them.
  • Fri, May 18 2012 14:43 In reply to

motley:
    I guess I never will understand.........heh ho.

No, you will never understand if you don't read the question properly motley! As an academic, I'd have thought you'd have this simple principle sussed!

The poll shows that many of us think that our customers don't understand our industry. That's all! It said nothing what so ever about farmers hating the general public.

I guess Old M's prediction of you aging like a fine Port was a little optimistic.... or maybe you've aged too much and gone off like an old yogurt!

"Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals." (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • Fri, May 18 2012 15:25 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

the cornish ba#t*rd:

guess Old M's prediction of you aging like a fine Port was a little optimistic.

I stand by my pint of Stella comment!
  • Fri, May 18 2012 15:37 In reply to

• BrownCow
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 4 2010
    • South Wales

the cornish ba#t*rd:

The poll shows that many of us think that our customers don't understand our industry. That's all! It said nothing what so ever about farmers hating the general public.

You also have to bear in mind who actually responds to polls and the mood they were in when they responded.  For example I don't think this forum in any way represents the majority of farmers in Carmarthenshire.
    Do as you would be done by.
  • Fri, May 18 2012 17:07 In reply to

• Redcar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005

When will the NFU ever learn they should stick to policy which is what they know something about and leave the communications and marketing to an external agency where they would know something about this. Again it shows negative campaigning which will turn off the general public. Again, what is the point that pointless kendal talking to the Thames rather than the general public. Another waste of money campaign, good one the publicity department within the mighty NFU
  • Fri, May 18 2012 19:50 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 27 2008
    • Near Castelo Branco, Portugal

I did say he had not reached full maturity yet. I have actually understood and more or less agreed with one or two of his posts in the last few months. Not this one though for the reasons already pointed out, and I am not sure sure that Tim is correct. I would say that consumers were more interested in their food source and more supportive of farmers 50 years ago than now.

I do agree with branstonfen and Redcar though. 

• Wed, May 23 2012 10:47 In reply to

The launch of this important and expensive 3 year campaign has been overshadowed by Kendal accusing antiGM campaigners of being like 'book burning ***' during his launch speech - a comment that was not relevant to the launch of  'Farming Delivers for Britain' a campaign that will focus on six areas - providing food, environmental benefits, economic growth, clean energy, careers and world-class animal welfare.

How much damage has Kendall's intemperate and ill-considered attack on a single issue campaign group done to the message that 'Farming Delivers for Britain' ?

• Wed, May 23 2012 11:15 In reply to

• motley
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 30 2009
    • Suffolk

branstonfen:
    'book burning ***

Indeed invoking Godwin's law before even starting.

Thin line here before you slip into the farmer bashing rethoric of that ****** motley.

I don't know why he comes on to our web site with is view about farmers.

Still at least Kendall enables a cofirmation bias for me, moterrly.

Farming is for us, all.
  • Wed, May 23 2012 11:27 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

Will this site really not print the word 'nazi'? I'm amazed at that!

I wonder what other words get automatically edited out?
  • Wed, May 23 2012 11:38 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

Oh..... it seems you can write Nazi without censorship. How come Branstonfen got little stars instead then?
  • Wed, May 23 2012 12:05 In reply to

• Jacobus
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Worcestershire
    • Trusted Users

bovril:
    Oh..... it seems you can write Nazi without censorship. How come Branstonfen got little stars instead then?
    He only got three stars so I guess either he typed some three letter obscenity or was self-censoring!
  • Wed, May 23 2012 12:19 In reply to

• Dick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 12 2007

I did not know that Peter Kendal had described the loony eco warriors as book burning ****s, but if he did I would like to offer him my most sincere congratulations!!  At last our leaders are showing some testosterone. 

Well done Mr Kendal, keep up the good work, attack is the finest form of defense.

DickCool

• Wed, May 23 2012 14:51 In reply to

Dick

My question was not whether you agreed with Peter Kendal describing anyone with GM sceptic tendancies as 'book burning ***'; but whether his intemperate outburst has overshadowed the launch of the 'Farmers deliver for Britain' campaign.

I have seen very little in the farming or national press about the launch of the campaign, but I've seen plenty about 'book burning ***', so I'm guessing that in PR terms his outburst has been very damaging to the campaign and possibly also damaging to the image of the NFU.

• Wed, May 23 2012 14:52 In reply to

And it appears that nazi with a capital N is not tolerated!
  • Wed, May 23 2012 18:03 In reply to

Here's a short video from the launch...

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/23/05/2012/133049/VIDEO-NFU-launches-Farming-Delivers-campaign.htm

For a round-up of quirky rural news see my blog Field Day
  • Wed, May 23 2012 23:46 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male

branstonfen, I have no idea who you are, nor indeed do I know Kendall, but I would say at this stage that you have far more common sense than whoever wrote his speech about ***. As you said, perhaps more politely, it, and lampooning about on a boat, has bugger all to do with a land based way of life and a campaign to persuade people to buy British produced food. I am most surpirsed at Dick supporting such weirdo nonsense given his attacks on the NFU over the last few years.

Edit: I note too that you are correct about the upper case N.

• Thu, May 24 2012 0:24 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

branstonfen:
    And it appears that nazi with a capital N is not tolerated!
    It works for me! And jacobus can quote me and it shows up. I'm guessing it's a Chrome/Firefox/Internet Explorer thing again.
  • Thu, May 24 2012 23:00 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male

I think it just shows the stupidity of the people who censor the forum. If nazi is acceptable and Nazi is not, and if FWi can use words like Nazi and simple posters like me cannot, I ask the question why not? Have we now actually reached Motley's dreaded "Thoguht Police" state?

Can I use the word bitch to describe a female dog. In some countries where I have lived the word cow is considered an extreme insult, yet bitch is not. I know that  I have used the word bugger and it has been passed OK, and I have even seen what I consider to be a four letter word (it is) that was considered extremely vulgar, even worse than the f word when I was young and used to describe the female private parts.

I will post the above and see how many stars I can achieve!!

• Thu, May 24 2012 23:02 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male

Can anybody explain why I can use a word tonight that I could not last night?

• Thu, May 24 2012 23:06 In reply to

I just posted the n word and a few 4 letter words and none were censored. I had to delete very hastily. Seems someone has switched off the star machine !

• Thu, May 24 2012 23:17 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male

wnw, I was surprised none of mine were censored, but you should have left your on to let us all know what we can now get away with if the mood takes us.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2   Next >
© RBI 2001-2010