Cookies & Privacy
in

Pain medications for sheep

Last post Sun, Jan 22 2012 22:35 by crazysheep. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 21 2012 0:22

Pain medications for sheep

I am looking for advice. I live in northern Alberta Canada in a very isolated region and we live hours away from any vets. I have a young ewe that broke her back leg this morning and I think it will be possible to splint it. I wantto give her something for pain but I can hardly find information on pain medications for sheep. I have access to many medications but not sure if they will be effective for sheep.
  • Sat, Jan 21 2012 13:39 In reply to

• stapler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 28 2010

Re: Pain medications for sheep

Metacam springs to mind but I don't know if it is recommended for sheep

• Sat, Jan 21 2012 15:24 In reply to

I use Finadyne ( flunixin ) for pain relief in sheep.  I've also heard of aspirin being used.  If you can get leg set and bandaged she will probably do without much medication.

• Sat, Jan 21 2012 18:36 In reply to

Thank you both for the information! Her leg is set and splinted and shes looking good.

• Sat, Jan 21 2012 18:46 In reply to

• Jacobus
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Worcestershire
    • Trusted Users

Flunixin is the pain relief we use for sheep.  As it's an injection it is more precise and probably quicker to administer than metacam which (for dogs anyway, and I guess for sheep too) is given orally.
  • Sat, Jan 21 2012 18:52 In reply to

I was sadly unable to find flunixin in our area. Not sure if its available in Alberta. Living so far from the vet has drawbacks too. I end up getting most of my supplies from cattle stores because thats mainly what they raise around here. I did read up that tramadol could be given for moderate to severe pain. I gave her one before i set it and now i am giving her aspirin.

• Sun, Jan 22 2012 22:35 In reply to

I have a ewe who jiggered her hips prior to lambing - probably butted by another. I kept her in and she duly lambed 4 days later, but was reluctant to rise to feed her lambs. I went to the vet, who prescribed Metacam injection (used for cattle) 2.5ml/100kg every other day. Although still very slow, she is in a more comfortable condition and managed to shuffle around the field with her lambs today. I'm hoping she will be able to rear the lambs, then make a decision on her future. So Metacam is available as an injection for sheep.
    Not every day is baaaaad.....
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
© RBI 2001-2010