Cookies & Privacy
in

Re: CAP reform proposals to grow three crops

Last post Sat, Oct 29 2011 20:07 by TeslaCoils. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 28 2011 16:11

Growers and agronomists I have been speaking to say that a requirement to grow three crops under the new CAP proposals would trigger sweeping changes in crop rotation - if ever the proposals became law.

Any changes will not take effect until at least 2014 and as usual the devil will be in the detail. But under the proposals, growers will be required to grow at least three different crops, with none exceeding 70% of the total farm area and the third crop not less than 5%. Interestingly, the new rules will only apply if the total arable area exceeds 3ha (7.5 acres).

How would this effect your arable business? I imangine continuous wheat growers will not be happy and those on a wheat/wheat/rape rotation may have to look at barley in that second wheat slot if they want to hold on to their single farm payment...

Philip Case, Deputy News Editor, Farmers Weekly.
  • Fri, Oct 28 2011 16:51 In reply to

ohbakasan:
    grow at least three different crops, with none exceeding 70% of the total farm area and the third crop not less than 5%

So you can still do wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/rape/wheat/BEANS then? Does each field have to ultimatly be rotated, or can you have continuous wheat in one area, and a super rotation elsewhere? Is fallow = a different crop? 

Not for print please.
  • Sat, Oct 29 2011 15:54 In reply to

thats great news, i currently grow 8 arable crops and i want to simplify, so 3 it will be.

• Sat, Oct 29 2011 16:53 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Where do the differences lie? Do all cereals count as one type, or do malting barley/ milling wheat/ feed wheat all count as different crops?

Could Tesla be fine with a milling wheat/ double low rape/ biscuit wheat/ HEAR rotation?

Could you even stretch that to a milling/ biscuit/ feed wheat cropping?
  • Sat, Oct 29 2011 19:37 In reply to

i dont think milling wheat will qualify as separate from feed wheat

• Sat, Oct 29 2011 20:07 In reply to

I was showing that it really makes not much difference to replace 5% of your farm with winter beans in an otherwise wheat/rape rotation.

Wonder if spring wheat will be considered different to winter wheat? It will all be a crappy fudge anyway. I grow a decent rotation but then on paper wheat and rape would be simplest and most profitable. And if something "failed" could you replace it with a wheat or spring rape? "Well, it was barley but it failed so we redrilled it with spring rape. Honest."

Not for print please.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
© RBI 2001-2010