Cookies & Privacy
in

scouring lambs

Last post Mon, Aug 19 2002 22:45 by anonymous. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 19 2002 22:45

scouring lambs

anyone got some ideas about my lambs which are constantly scouring despite being wormed regurally plus treatment for coccidiosus lab tests reaveal low egg counts for both worms and coccidiosus they are also not thriving despite having an abundance of grass
  • Tue, Aug 20 2002 7:02

scouring lambs

It may not be worms/coccidia but diet or the wet lush conditions that we have had (at least around here) all summer. However, I would ask who did the egg counts and do they really know how to interpret them? If they are quoted as low (but not zero) after worming, have you tried changing wormer? Did the lab look for fluke eggs?
  • Tue, Aug 20 2002 16:35

scouring lambs

If your lambs have had treatment for coccidiosis the normal 'good' bacteria, necessary for digestion, have probably been cleared out of their guts along with the bad. If these are pet lambs I would give live yoghurt to them. Ask in your store or at your vets about probiotics....to encourage a good gut flora. Also dose for fluke this wet season.
  • Tue, Aug 20 2002 19:22

scouring lambs

Get them tested for cobalt deficiency, and try feeding hay if the grass is very lush, and as Robert suggested before change your wormer not just the name but the chemical.
  • Tue, Aug 20 2002 19:29

scouring lambs

thanks for your help and ideas but ive had the vet out today blood sampling for trace element deficiency and more samples of sh*t to test for worms and fluke
  • Wed, Aug 21 2002 18:13 In reply to

scouring lambs

Let us know the results when you get them.
  • Wed, Aug 21 2002 20:35 In reply to

scouring lambs

having read the tread have you looked for salinium or copper overdose thease cause scours in calves ( sheep get scours from copper ) the other thing that you might try is ( if housed at night o in a pen systam ) giving them warm ewes milk and dry bedding ( not to much or they will get husk ) would be interetted to know the result of the tests if they are sock lamb were they bottle fed ewe temp milk or cold milk as this ill have affected the asphagiel groove resulting in feed in the rumen = scours ( try warm milk then this will not happen )
  • Fri, Aug 23 2002 20:11 In reply to

scouring lambs

got the results back today low worm and coccidiosus egg counts ;blood trace elements ok all the vet can suggest is change my type of wormer and see if that works but surely with a low worm count anyway it cant be a worm problem can it ?
  • Fri, Aug 23 2002 20:54 In reply to

scouring lambs

Drat: I was hoping you'd come up with something more conclusive because ours are getting more mucky backsides than usual this year too! Perhaps it really is at least partly the excessive amounts of flush grass they have.
  • Fri, Aug 23 2002 21:55 In reply to

scouring lambs

Comes back to my original point – how good are they at doing a worm egg count and what have they taken into account when interpreting the results? A faecal egg count is very easy to do so most labs offer the service, but it is very easy to do it badly. Believe me, I could go on at length on the sources of error in a worm egg count, but I’ll spare you. If your lambs were wormed two weeks or less before the samples were taken, the count shouldn’t be low it should be virtually zero (technically if you have less than a 95% reduction in flock average egg count you have anthelmintic resistance). If the average egg count isn’t very low (perhaps 50-100), then I would change wormer families and retest some. Fluke may not be relevant for your farm. If it is, did the lab do a separate fluke egg count (rather than just look for fluke eggs during the worm egg count)? However, is it possible that your lambs are suffering from the after effects of an earlier infection – a bacterial/viral infection or coccidia? It is not unknown for the gut lining to become damaged to the point where the animals never really recover their full productive potential.
  • Sat, Aug 24 2002 20:46 In reply to

WORMERS

THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF WORMERS A WORMER WILL WORK IF THE SHEEP IS NOT RESISTANT TO IT THERE ARE SHEEP IN AFRICA AND NEW ZELAND WHO HAVE RESISTANCE TO ALL THREE TYPES SO THEY CANNOT KEEP SHEEP SO IT COULD BE THAT YOU HAVE USED 1 TYPE OF WORMER FOR TOO LONG ( I CANT REMEMBER THE TYPES OFF HAND ) TRY ONE OF THE OTHERS
  • Mon, Aug 26 2002 21:10 In reply to

scouring lambs

wormed one batch with a new wormer to me called ZERMEX based on moxidectin which it claims all worms rapidly and absorbs into the fatty tissues within the animal and then slowly realeases and carries on working for afurther 5 weeks yet has only got a 14 day slaughter withdrawel anyway seems to have dried my lambs up within 3 days and they look different sheep now !
  • Mon, Aug 26 2002 21:22 In reply to

scouring lambs

Might give that a try myself, hope the local merchant stocks it. They need doing soon anyway as will shortly be weaned.
  • Tue, Aug 27 2002 9:02 In reply to

scouring lambs

Glad to hear you've sorted out the problem.
  • Tue, Aug 27 2002 20:46 In reply to

scouring lambs

if you cant find any try their website for local stockist www.downland.co.uk
  • Tue, Aug 27 2002 21:37 In reply to

scouring lambs

Used the same stuff myself about 5 weeks ago but lost one scouring about a week after dosing, but could of missed it. Had a shock when the invoice dropped through the letter box 2.5 litres £200.00 got on the phone post haste, they had got it mixed up with the cattle pour-on whew!!
  • Wed, Aug 28 2002 22:24 In reply to

scouring lambs

my 5 litres £118
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
© RBI 2001-2010