Cookies & Privacy
in

Solar panels on barns - opinions needed

Last post Wed, May 16 2012 20:13 by Watt-NRG. 52 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (53 items) 1 2 3   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 15:10

Solar panels on barns - opinions needed

I work for a solar developer. As you know the feed in tariff review is underway with the results expected in the next month or so. As a result we are exploring other options. The feed in tariff review only covers installations over 50kW, or about 500 square metres, so for the time being 50kW installations are safe. Knowing that, we are looking at how best to deploy 50kW installations across the south and came up with the idea of supplying free barns with panels on the roof. In essence we would supply a free barn (steel framed, 15x30m, 3m tall at the lowest point, 7m tall at the highest point) to anyone who wants one and who is in the right location. Preferably this would replace an existing building with not many years life left in it (makes planning easier). We would supply and install and connect to the grid and the farmer would own the barn - we would take a 25 year lease on the roof for a peppercorn rent. I'm not drumming up custom at the moment (when we are ready are we'll put an ad in FW) - I am seeking opinion on how much much take-up we'd get. Would you be interested? Let me know what you think
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 16:35 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 14 2009
    • Essex

Re: Solar panels on barns - opinions needed

I'm just looking into dismantling a 15m × 30m timber frame shed, cheaply built about 30+ years ago, to replace it with a steel frame one. What might put you off is that I need 4m+ at the eaves (to get tractors in!) and I want to build it 20 to 40m away from the original, so that I can reinstate the old courtyard which was covered up in the late '70s.

Location wise I'm Essex coast. If it's of any interest to you, let me know!
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 16:41 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

I just realised that I didn't mention that I would be very interested!

There's also a 3 phase transformer at the end of the shed from the 11kva lines which pass by, a 33kva line 140m away, and a 133kva line 400m away (although that will probably be upgraded to 400 when they build the new power station 10 miles away.)
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 16:42 In reply to

I'd rather build the barn and lease you the roof.

You would I presume need to be fairly close to a grid connection for it to work - you wont be paing for a new 3ph supply to said barn?

Not for print please.
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 17:58 In reply to

Sounds like a fair deal to me. How far North would you go ?

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:06 In reply to

bovril:
    I'm just looking into dismantling a 15m × 30m timber frame shed, cheaply built about 30+ years ago, to replace it with a steel frame one. What might put you off is that I need 4m+ at the eaves (to get tractors in!) and I want to build it 20 to 40m away from the original, so that I can reinstate the old courtyard which was covered up in the late '70s.

Location wise I'm Essex coast. If it's of any interest to you, let me know!

The roof will necessarily be flat and slope from the north to south.  At it's lowest point it is 3m to the eaves.  Is this too low?  Do you think 4m should be the minimum roof height? 

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:09 In reply to

bovril:
    I just realised that I didn't mention that I would be very interested!

There's also a 3 phase transformer at the end of the shed from the 11kva lines which pass by, a 33kva line 140m away, and a 133kva line 400m away (although that will probably be upgraded to 400 when they build the new power station 10 miles away.)

Domestic 415v 3 phase should be suitable but 11kV is good too.  33kV will require too much kit to transform the power down.  I only just created the profile today - can you PM on this forum?  If so PM me and I can take your details and add you to our database.  Thanks

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:11 In reply to

How far north are you?  South wales is happy hunting ground.  The solar levels are quite high up to the south of the brecon beacons and then in a line south of cardigan and carmarthen.  Above that, I'm not so sure

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:14 In reply to

TeslaCoils:

I'd rather build the barn and lease you the roof.

You would I presume need to be fairly close to a grid connection for it to work - you wont be paing for a new 3ph supply to said barn?

We can do that too.  It's just a matter of speed and planning permission.  Also, if we build a new building we don't need to do a roof survey - we already know the structural capacity.  But anything's possible.  We would pay rent or supply electricity if we installed on someones roof.  As for power - it all depends on what's there already but we can upgrade a power supply if the cost isn't excessive

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:38 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

Are you talking about a monopitch shed or apex?

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:43 In reply to

• bovril
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Essex

mattberkshire:

The roof will necessarily be flat and slope from the north to south.  At it's lowest point it is 3m to the eaves.  Is this too low?  Do you think 4m should be the minimum roof height? 

Does that mean it's a mono-pitch roof across the 15m? That's no problem, in fact probably an advantage for access from the north, but it's quite unusual.

3m would probably suit more livestock area tractors, but they keep getting taller and I can't get through a couple of low eaves of sheds built in the '60s. Most arable tractors seem over 10' high now, and those flashing beacons we all have to fit add another foot! The south side will obviously be the lowest for your benefit, and usually the favoured way in for ours, giving a drier, sunnier entrance apron.

I'll DM you my details.
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 19:44 In reply to

Monopitch. Not the nicest looking but a necessity as the panels have to be south facing
  • Tue, Feb 22 2011 20:23 In reply to

• EP90
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 2 2011

If you had an existing south facing building of the correct height, then you could build the "new" Mono against it and use it as a lean-to. You would also have the option of putting panels on the older building as well.

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 23:52 In reply to

EP90:

If you had an existing south facing building of the correct height, then you could build the "new" Mono against it and use it as a lean-to. You would also have the option of putting panels on the older building as well.

Absolutely. Good idea. Existing building Would need plenty of life in it but defiantly a workable idea. Thanks
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:30 In reply to

mattberkshire:

How far north are you?  South wales is happy hunting ground.  The solar levels are quite high up to the south of the brecon beacons and then in a line south of cardigan and carmarthen.  Above that, I'm not so sure

Just North of Aberystwyth

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:11 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

Come on down and put one up the sun always shines in sunny zumerzet Cool

Well not today or yesterday but most of the time

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:15 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

I spose you need a stronger roof for the weight of the panels + snow loading?

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:29 In reply to

henarar:

Hi. PM me and I'll take your details. We're building a database and will get in touch when we're ready to go. Cheers. Matt
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:33 In reply to

henarar:

Not if the sun always shines in Zumerzet Wink

• Wed, Feb 23 2011 22:57 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • zumerzet

I dont no that you would get to much from the panels with snow on them anyway

But the sun still shines when it snows in zumerzetCool

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 22:34 In reply to

Our investors gave the go-ahead for the free solar barn concept today. We'll have a website up and running soon. We'll be getting some ads placed in fw and farmers guardian soon
  • Tue, Mar 8 2011 15:31 In reply to

The new self-contained Mobile Solar System (MSS II) can power a variety of portable electronic devices including basic lighting for outdoor living and emergency situations. The pre-wired main control box houses all control electronics and provides an easy plug & play interface. A key advantage of the MSS II system is its ability to expand the solar system without any modifications to the main control box. By increasing the size of the solar panel (max 140W) and the capacity of the external battery, the system can provide energy for longer operation times. The provided USB charging port further enhances the flexibility of the system. Wireless devices and portable computers can be charged conveniently. In emergency and disaster situations, the MSS II kit, provides immediate power for your essential communication needs. Delivery time: 2 weeks The SolarEvolution Mobile Solar System combines a 10-Watt solar panel with a portable 300-Watt inverter and battery providing up to 300 Watts of portable electricity and backup power anytime, anywhere. It can power a 25-Watt laptop computer for up to 4 hours. Not only does the Mobile Solar System run laptops, it also can run other 12 Volt or 115 Volt devises including hand-held blenders, fans, computers, clock radios, small power tools, emergency lights, TVs and radios. Delivery time: Two weeks The kit includes all cables for an easy plug & play set-up. Simply connect the solar panel to the main control box with the included cables and you are ready to go. The portable MSS II system also comes with an AC charger for recharging from a standard wall outlet. Just plug your AC devices right into the AC outlet on the main control box, just like at home. For the 12 Volt DC products, simply plug them into the provided 12V DC sockets.

Thanks

http://www.ecigarette.org/ 

• Tue, Mar 8 2011 21:44 In reply to

• old mcdonald
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 27 2008
    • Near Castelo Branco, Portugal

It's the same the whole world over,

Isn't it a bloody shame?

It's the rich what gets the feed-in-tariffs

And the farmer what gets the blame.

www.oldmcdonaldsolives.com
  • Tue, Mar 15 2011 19:09 In reply to

Old Mac, All of a sudden folks of our age are in some circles classed as having wisdom.I feel that a life of knocks and seeing how the folks that actually produce nothing but high jack others fortunes and swank around under a myth of pretence always seem to be the winners [ Glasshouse will love me]. That said I would not trust any body who said the Government would pay a premium for Solar Voltalic for 25 years.They are all scum bags of the highest order and never ever to be trusted.In my view payback in three or four years or keep away its only trouble.
  • Wed, Mar 16 2011 13:35 In reply to

• Peter Wells
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005
    • Gloucestershire
    • Trusted Users

Hi. Our website is live. Go to http://lumicity.com/ and fill out the form

Don't everybody get too excited. I live just south of Hereford, east of Ross on Wye and have been told by these very same people that the sunlight in our area is not sufficient to interest them.

Page 1 of 3 (53 items) 1 2 3   Next >
© RBI 2001-2010