Cookies & Privacy
in

Vicon Acrobat

Last post Mon, Jun 30 2003 6:52 by anonymous. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 30 2003 6:52

Vicon Acrobat

Here`s a blast from the past. I`ve just been restoring a Super Dexta for my father and now he wants a period implement for it. He`s turned an old Acrobat out from somewhere for me to respray. Does anyone know what yellow would be a good match for the wheels/tines? And is there a company that can supply new tines for them? Spaldings used to, but they're not in the catalogue now.
  • Mon, Jun 30 2003 7:31

Vicon Acrobat

Sort of a "Dull Matt" yellow saw one the other day practically as new. Did Nh not move to a colour something like it in latter years?
  • Mon, Jun 30 2003 14:01

Vicon Acrobat

MAIN FRAME RED DULL YELLOW CENTRE DISCS I have one about 50 yrs old, still in use.Rusty all over but still a very useful tool. Get spare tines from ROSS FARM MACHINERY. FOSS CROSS. GLOS. Good luck on the restoration. John.
  • Mon, Jun 30 2003 18:01

Vicon Acrobat

The only machine to turn a swathe of hay in to a string of rope.....its easy to see what's going in the bale chamber, just look up the row about 30 ft and watch it get pulled in to the baler.
  • Mon, Jun 30 2003 21:32

Vicon Acrobat

The trouble with acrobats was the people who used them. They never read the manual. The trick was to make that spring carry the machine and not to use the thing like a pasture renovator. And only have just enough "set" on the machine to do the job. Too much and you just got great lumps of crop all over the place. And you couldn't turn/row up round corners, they just were not made to do that (unlike the older trailed version which gave you lovely rounded corners for baling). Also how many people packed them up properly to go down the road ? Usually they hung out on to the other side of the road (poking people off push bikes)instead of being up over the driver's head. Having said all that they did used to "rope" it, especially if you were in a dodgy time and had to go through the crop lots of times. And it seemed to take ages for Vicon to realise that the early machines were just not compatible with the width of mowers and eventually they made them just a bit wider. But surely the Zweeger brothers should have been given honary knighthoods (as well as the Nobel peace prize)for their haybobs.
  • Mon, Jun 30 2003 22:16 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

Not forgetting Zweegers mowers! Its amazing how many farmers in America are still struggling with grandads 'Sickle mower' (reapers to you and me) Ha ha we had one of those trailed acrobats, it went for years and years. As you say they made a lovely job of corners. Absolutely useless when we we over to big balers though. Only the 'Haybob' types are any good for making a nice wide flat swath.
  • Wed, Jul 2 2003 23:09

Vicon Acrobat

I appear to have missed a page in the Spaldings book and indeed they do supply new tines for it. They arrived this morning. Also the local shot blaster managed to fit it in today and it is now undercoated. I don`t think we`ll ever use it, unless it`s any good for turning a swath of straw or if the old Bamford Wuffler breaks down. Working on the theory that "a picture can tell a 1000 words", well here it is. http://members.aol.com/moderntractor/acrobat.jpg
  • Wed, Jul 2 2003 23:20 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

Was he a bit "hit and miss" with the shotblasting then? !!!
  • Thu, Jul 3 2003 0:15 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

Jim You're younger than I thought!! :-)
  • Thu, Jul 3 2003 8:46 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

It did take a bit more blasting than anticipated, but this photo was taken last week before I started the reconditioning project. When it`s finished I`ll try and post a higher resolution photo. How much is everyone paying for implement enamel? Our New Holl dealer sells it for £6.50/litre tin. Others sell it for £9ish That`s my 7 year old son on the seat bursting to have ago
  • Thu, Jul 3 2003 10:12 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

The Dexta sure looks nice!If you post a picure on here when you get the Acrobat painted up, You will be having the guys from 'Border Fine Arts' coming to ask you if they can make a model of it. [;)]
  • Fri, Jul 4 2003 11:34 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

I agree entirely with Scoobys' comments - skilled user is most important.I still use mine for making lucerne hay as it is the gentlest rake available and does the best job of turning the windrow over. Also excellent for scatching up hay that has been rained on. Regards ReidyNZ
  • Fri, Jul 4 2003 20:00 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

Jim, How much for your Super Dexta? Memories, Memories!!! That was the first new tractor I ever bought! Great little tractor, I always liked them better than Fergies. Jack Caley
  • Fri, Jul 4 2003 20:51 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

Hi Cristopher, Nice to know that someone else agrees with my sentiments re: Acrobats. I can understand that they suit your requirements with regard to Lucerne. That's a bit like clover, any serious bashing and the leaf's all gone. I still have one that I use if I want to put 8 into 1 or, in a bad time, like you say, if we have to drag the grass out of the regrowth. I must admit there is a certain feeling of satisfaction in just gently rolling over that swath to expose the underside. Hope all is well in NZ. Tooodleooo from the Scoobydoo
  • Fri, Jul 4 2003 23:01 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

Father just bought it last autumn for the some reason. It actually was in the FW vintage section and was somewhere in Sussex. He bought it unseen and a friend that has a lorry brought it up here to N Cumbria. It was in remarkably good condition and mostly needed a good shot blast and respray. I just got it finished for a road run last Sunday with some of the paint only just dry. The lights wiring still need a little bit of sorting. I`ll post another photo of it going through a ford, when I get it scanned. I think he paid £1300 for it, but with time, bits & pieces and a odd £100 here and there, it will probably stand us nearer £2000, so it`s not for sale just yet. A local guy paid quite a bit less for his Dexta, but after all the restoration work he did, he said our`s would workout a lot cheaper. See www.dexta59.fsnet.co.uk . Also follow the links to the other two tractor clubs and you will see what they get up to at weekends.
  • Sun, Jul 13 2003 21:44 In reply to

Vicon Acrobat

This is the finished article. We even had a go in the 2nd cut silage with it. I think the Kuhn Flex that we have is better, it doesn`t scratch the ground as hard, and the Kuhn makes a neater row. http://members.aol.com/N0FEAR684/acrobat2.jpg It`s as clear as photo as I can get, I think I may need more than 2.5m pixels on my camera.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
© RBI 2001-2010