Cookies & Privacy
in

What are the most reliable tractors?

Last post Sat, Feb 16 2013 22:18 by belarus. 92 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (93 items) 1 2 3 4   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 18:01

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 21 2012

What are the most reliable tractors?

John Deere? Massey Ferguson? Vendt?

I always loved the look of Ford's and New Hollands, but my old ford cars in the old days didn't fill me with confidence about buying them, and New Holland is owned by fiat who along with renault build the worst cars I have ever experienced. Don't see any German or Japanese tractors, which are my two first ports of call usually to buy equipment.

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 19:08 In reply to

Re: What are the most reliable tractors?

over 20,000 hours on a jdeere7810 i say jdeeres are the best built to last

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 19:35 In reply to

camshaft:
    over 20,000 hours on a jdeere7810 i say jdeeres are the best built to last

The 10 series certainly were!!!

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 20:55 In reply to

Phil Goodyear:
    The 10 series certainly were!!!

I've no wish to run down JD tractors but I honestly don't think the latest ones are that much better than any other brand. I'd say you'd have to be pretty unlucky these days to get a bad one of any make. Of course there will always be sob stories about a Friday afternoon tractor of practically any make you care to name but IMHO the dealers after sales backup and location are far more important than the brand.

pdboxer, there are many Japanese tractors, Kubota being the most popular by far. As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I'm sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.

http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 21:39 In reply to

regardless off cost buy once buy the best ,newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 22:19 In reply to

I don't disagree with wnw but the JD7810 was a true classic. 

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 22:32 In reply to

Renault made much better tractors than they did cars, and I think the same applied to Fiat too. Most makes seem to have models/ranges which are more reliable than others of the same make. Generally most reliable = most expensive to buy = most expensive to repair!
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 22:33 In reply to

Phil Goodyear:
    the JD7810 was a true classic. 

As were the Case MX series and MF 100 and 200 series years ago.

You will all laugh but some of the best tractors we ever owned were Fiat's. I didn't appreciate their simplicity at the time but there wasn't much that you couldn't fix with a socket set, a lump hammer and some gas. Modern tractors need a technician with a laptop to do something simple like calibrate the clutch (or whatever it's called these days)

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 22:52 In reply to

welshnwilling:

Phil Goodyear:
    the JD7810 was a true classic. 

As were the Case MX series and MF 100 and 200 series years ago.

You will all laugh but some of the best tractors we ever owned were Fiat's. I didn't appreciate their simplicity at the time but there wasn't much that you couldn't fix with a socket set, a lump hammer and some gas. Modern tractors need a technician with a laptop to do something simple like calibrate the clutch (or whatever it's called these days)

all john deeres are simple to calibrate you dont need laptop or technician
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 22:57 In reply to

camshaft:
    newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate

I reckon that pretty much sums up John Deer rather than New Holland! To be fair, all modern tractors are much of a muchness. You're almost better off buying somthing a bit older that can be fixed with a socket set and hammer as WnW says. Ford TW's, now those were real tracotors!

"Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals." (Sir Winston Churchill)
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 23:20 In reply to

the cornish ba#t*rd:

camshaft:
    newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate

I reckon that pretty much sums up John Deer rather than New Holland! To be fair, all modern tractors are much of a muchness. You're almost better off buying somthing a bit older that can be fixed with a socket set and hammer as WnW says. Ford TW's, now those were real tracotors!

tw fords were prone to porous blocks.NOT a problem with my 7810
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 23:37 In reply to

As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I'm sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.

As I recall, welshnwilling, there's an "other" brand knocking out a few near Mannheim.

• Mon, Jan 21 2013 23:38 In reply to

• henarar
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 21 2008
    • zumerzet

My most reliable tractor long term has to be our MF 565 must have had it 25 years now no major probs

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 0:40 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

Thanks for all the replies everybody. Do you know I wish I could say I only cared about reliability and all that, but is it wrong that I like a lot of tractors just because of how great they look? Also, though the operations I would be doing probably don't warrant it, I would like a tractor with fat grooved wheels front and back, ie not the ones with the little spindly wheels on front, I'd like a 4wd. Is that as idiotic as it sounds even to me?
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 0:46 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

welshnwilling:
    pdboxer, there are many Japanese tractors, Kubota being the most popular by far. As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I'm sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.
    Kubota I thought were only small tractors? Fendt are German built but not German owned right? And some John Deeres are built in Germany I see. Ideally I prefer German owned and German built! I think a Fendt, a John Deere or a Massey Ferguson would see me right.
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 0:47 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

camshaft:
    regardless off cost buy once buy the best ,newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate
    I am not in a position to buy the best unfortunately or thats what I'd do. I agree about New Holland looks, I think they look fantastic actually.
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 0:48 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

blackbob:
    Renault made much better tractors than they did cars, and I think the same applied to Fiat too. Most makes seem to have models/ranges which are more reliable than others of the same make. Generally most reliable = most expensive to buy = most expensive to repair!
    I'm sure thats all wise. A friend, who farms and used to help out a local mechanic, told me that Fiat made some of the worst cars on the road, but some of the absolute best tractors.
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 0:54 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

welshnwilling:
    You will all laugh but some of the best tractors we ever owned were Fiat's. I didn't appreciate their simplicity at the time but there wasn't much that you couldn't fix with a socket set, a lump hammer and some gas.
    I could believe it, know people who adore their fiats. New Holland is fiat now isn't that right?
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 0:55 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

bankrupt:

As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I'm sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.

As I recall, welshnwilling, there's an "other" brand knocking out a few near Mannheim.

John Deere according to my googling?
  • Tue, Jan 22 2013 6:50 In reply to

• mursal
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 16 2009

I'm fond of the one's that are paid for.

They all break, but I shudder to think of the cost in parts alone, to get 20,000 hours out of any tractor never mind a John Deere.

Or are the green parts free?

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:30 In reply to

pdboxer:
    I prefer German owned and German built!

That leaves Fendt then - Massey Ferguson are built in France.

My personal opinion is that all tractors will break at some point, but the most reliable ones are the ones with the best local dealer.  We run only 1 tractor for all field/road work here, and always make sure it is covered by warranty, we are effectively paying for peace of mind, but you would have to get a bl**dy good tractor not to spend the extended warranty cost on breakdowns. We have found that by building a good relationship with the dealer [plenty of notice for servicing, pay bills for consumables on time etc.] we have got exceptional service in terms of warranty.  They have always offered a tractor if ours has broken, have taken it once, but don't if there is no urgent work pressing, think it's better not to take the mickey.

Something I do know is that the AGCO warranty {Mssey, Fendt, Valtra, Challenger} is a full warranty, and the CHN [Case, New Holland] has excesses on certain work.

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:39 In reply to

Farmer Dan 6465:
    and the CHN [Case, New Holland] has excesses on certain work.

True, but they seldom charge the excess in reality. Maybe that's just down to our dealer though. I'd say if the dealers nearest you have a good reputation then buy from them, whatever the brand. You won't go far wrong.

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:32 In reply to

Camshaft try a 20 or 30 series deere and im sure that will break down for you a 10 series deere was a one off.

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:19 In reply to

So it would seem, pdboxer.

Sadly, my only German tractor is not a Deere.Embarrassed

In spite of that, it's still going very well after 43 years.

• Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:40 In reply to

• pdboxer
    • Top 100 Contributor

bankrupt:

So it would seem, pdboxer.

Sadly, my only German tractor is not a Deere.Embarrassed

In spite of that, it's still going very well after 43 years.

43 years eh? I love to see the farmer mentality, people hassle me about buying a new car (my car is 14 years old) and I say "why, it still goes?" Sounds like a great tractor. So you going to keep me guessing or what kind is it!
Page 1 of 4 (93 items) 1 2 3 4   Next >
© RBI 2001-2010