Cookies & Privacy
in

What Qualifications are neeeded to become an Agronomist?

Last post Sat, May 2 2009 16:37 by ifegwu. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 20 2008 13:29

• arable
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 20 2008

What Qualifications are neeeded to become an Agronomist?

I am thinking of choosing a career in Agronomy.What qualifications do I need to become an Agronomist? I am currently studying for my Leaving certificate in Ireland.(A-levels in Britain) and need to find out what course I need to apply for it.

• Sun, Jan 20 2008 17:19 In reply to

Re: What Qualifications are neeeded to become an Agronomist?

Dont think you actually need anything in terms of higher education, although you will need FACTS and BASIS certificates, which you can often do as part of a land-based course at college.

It is the kind of career that actually lends itself to being trained 'in the field' - you may be able to go in as a trainee straight from a-levels, and do your professional training through them.

Best advice - speak to your own agronomist, or a large firm like Frontier, Masstock or Agrovista.

Good luck.

Not for print please.
  • Sun, Jan 20 2008 23:03 In reply to

• arable
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 20 2008

Thanks TeslaCoils!

• Thu, Feb 28 2008 10:38 In reply to

• tim.
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 31 2008

Having considered it as oneof my possible career options, I can say how valuable a degree in agricultural science is. As tesla says, BASIS and FACTS is a must. The degree really breaks the science of agriculture down, and you UNDERSTAND it. There arent many universities that offer a sciencey course, but there is Newcastle, Nottingham and Reading. I would say Nottingham is the most sciency out of all of them.

No-one knows what I do until I stop doing it!
  • Thu, Feb 28 2008 12:18 In reply to

I'd agree the best start is probably to get an agricultural degree either from one of the Universities, or from one of the more traditional agricultrual colleges. But I'm not sure there is any absolute requirement for a degree to be an agronomist, and on the job training can be just as effective. But if you can go to University I would go - not least because it is a greta experience. 

Another route in could be through field trials with an organisation like TAG, a distributor or an agchem manufacturer. I started by doing field trials for Crop Care Chemicals (now part of Agrovista) for a number of years, and it gives you a brilliant understanding of crops, at least the ones you do trials on, and what chemicals / agronomy will be required. After a year of doing trials you will almost certainly be able to recognise common weeds / diseases etc without any problems, and know their latin names too probably!

Most of the distributors are usually looking for good quality trainee agronomists too.

• Thu, Feb 28 2008 12:55 In reply to

• tim.
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 31 2008

Even better, get involved in trials while uou are at uni! I had the oportunity to work fwith a trials manager for TAG, but my dissertation load was high at that time, so unfortunately I couldnt help out. 

While on the subject of TAG, they are desparate for agricultural graduates, and have set up a scheme where they assign you with a senior consultant to train you up. If you enroll when you are at uni, they offer you a bursary. It is only with selected universities though. 

No-one knows what I do until I stop doing it!
  • Wed, Mar 5 2008 9:36 In reply to

• Tas Cowboy
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 25 2006
    • Tasmania, Australia

As an agronomist in Tasmania (Australia) I am curious what BASIS & FACTS are?

I did an Associate Diploma in Applied Science (Agriculture) at college but on the job training is where I have gotten most of my knowledge & experience.

Cheers,

TC Smile 

Under the Southern Cross I stand.....
  • Wed, Mar 5 2008 12:17 In reply to

Tas cowboy, these acronyms are just british bullshit. On the job training is best, but britain prefers textbook learned incompetence.

• Sat, May 2 2009 16:37 In reply to

• ifegwu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 2 2009

It is a professional field as such you need a bachelors degree only or ordinary Diploma in agronomy
    Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
© RBI 2001-2010