Cookies & Privacy
in

whats the legal age for a tractor license

Last post Mon, Sep 29 2014 23:31 by methers840. 73 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (74 items) < Previous   1 2 3   Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 30 2008 0:15 In reply to

Re: whats the legal age for a tractor license

here we call the telehandler test, the rough terrain forklift test, then theres also the normal forklift test for a normal one with solid wheels and only really operates on concrete. but yea, they are very similar, but they are seperate tests.

• Mon, Jun 9 2008 19:47 In reply to

• matt_r
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008

How long before your 16th birthday before you can apply for the test? And do you need a provisional license before applying?

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 0:38 In reply to

you do need a provisional..... i think you apply for your provissional as soon as you like, then you need the number off your provisional to book your test. (that might be wrong, but thats what I have in the back of my mind)

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 11:39 In reply to

test cost £57 which is a  rip off.   some lazy *** comes and stands on the corner and watches you drive around,  then fails you for the smallest of mistakes like going to fast in a tractor!?! just to get another £57 out of you

failed mine twice now    i want a different examiner next time   

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 12:14 In reply to

• jdw7121
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 7 2008
    • Lincoln

"yea u need a license to use a telehandler but the test are suppose to be very easy.so there aint much point"

If you have an accident whilst using a telehandler when you haven't got the appropriate license, I believe you're insurance will be invalid and you are liable for the costs (i may be mistaken) so there is every point!

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 15:21 In reply to

I found the tractor test was fairly easy.... and £57 isn't tooo bad against other licenses. It might be just your examiner.... and how can you go tooo fast in a tractor ? you weren't going more then 30 were u ?

As for the telehandler test... most do a 3 day corse, so you spend 2 days learning how to pass the test then one day actually doing the test. And it's not normally very formal, so i mean it's alright.

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 16:10 In reply to

• matty s
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 20 2007
    • Northumberland

I know about the test but the provisional - what do you get? a provisional Cat F?????

First generation beef and sheep farmer.

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 20:05 In reply to

that's right.... you get your little green card and paper counterpart. On mine I also stuck on motorbike, car and pedetrian machines, because you could, probbably still can.

• Fri, Jun 13 2008 23:38 In reply to

• robexel
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 24 2008
    • Cheshire

tractordriver99:

how can you go tooo fast in a tractor ? you weren't going more then 30 were u ?

Speed limit for a farm tractor is 20mph, unless it's a special one like a Fastrac or new 900 Vario.  It's all about Construction and Use rules, having the right suspension, brakes, other safety stuff.

Strategery of co-opetition will embiggen a cromulent future.
  • Sun, Jun 15 2008 21:34 In reply to

• sjk
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 26 2007
    • Kent, UK

jdfarmerboy:

test cost £57 which is a rip off.   some lazy *** comes and stands on the corner and watches you drive around,  then fails you for the smallest of mistakes like going to fast in a tractor!?! just to get another £57 out of you

failed mine twice now    i want a different examiner next time   

That aounds like the one I had for my car test going round the ring road he told me to move out in to the inside lane and then halfway doing that changes his mind then changes it again and didn't know what lane he wanted me in then as everything else was going 40mph even though the limit was 30 I had to tap the accellorator to stop the car behind going in to me he then failed me for speeding. His indecisiveness was distracting and very annoying he had already done it prior to that when I was half way revrsing in to a junction in a nice empty road he then decides that I should carry on up the road. The annoying thing was it was just the 35 in a 30 limit I failed on. My driving instructor couldn't believe it when I told him about and to cap it off he told me the guy I had was the regional head one (I guess he was a bit rusty after being stuck beind a desk).

Sam

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    Groucho Marx
  • Fri, Jun 12 2009 20:49 In reply to

• harryh141
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 5 2009
    • Warrington

Oryt mike its Harry. When u gettin ur tractor license, u gunna start workin fr any1?
  • Sun, Jun 28 2009 21:09 In reply to

hi can you drive on the roed charlie

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:33 In reply to

hi i am tryin 2 gt my provitonal licnce but dont understand what to do realy is ther can som 1 expain it 2 me in dumb englsh plaes

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:43 In reply to

• adam19493
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 27 2008
    • Nr Cambridge

yeah, all i did was go to the post office and ask for a D1 form for a driving licence. they give you a helpsheet with it so you know how to fill it in. just follow the instructions and you cant go wrong

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:54 In reply to

ok tanks i aint turnin 16 4 a cuple of moths so is der ne thing i can do b4 i turn 16?

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 9:53 In reply to

• adam19493
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Nr Cambridge

not really mate, get a passport style photo taken cos you'll need one, but apart form that, not much. you cant apply for your test until after you have your provisional, because you need your driver number, but I would advise you to get your test booked soon as possible once you get your provisional, because mine took a while to come through, apparently there is a long waiting list, so maybe find out before hand where your nearest DSA test centre is.

hope that helps a bit, if you need anything more, just ask, and good luck with your test when you get round to it

• Thu, Nov 12 2009 21:43 In reply to

ok tanks alot m8

• Sun, Dec 6 2009 1:50 In reply to

• ali maxxum
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 13 2009
    • Chepstow, Wales

Got my provisional all sorted few months back, and as I've read on here and all over the net you can book your test about a month before you turn 16... turns out this aint right, as I was told I can't book it till my licence is valid... another month yet! Then, another months wait till I can actually DO the test!

For those who demand more.
  • Thu, Dec 10 2009 13:02 In reply to

• Cj-Tj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 22 2005

robexel:

Cj-Tj:

You cannot take tracklaying tractors on the road until you have passed a class H test. The exception being a Quadtrack because it is pivot (artic) steering as opposed to steering with the tracks.

This is not true, the tractor must be steered with wheels, therefore a Quadtrac cannot be driven on cat F or B.

Self-propelled machines like combines and foragers also require a different licence, cat C (HGV), no matter what age the driver is.  Check the rules here: http://www.johnexley.co.uk/agri.htm

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think your wrong. That site you posted does admit the law is ambiguous, I was always lead to believe that the vehicle needed to be "steered by tracks" to qualify for a class H licence. AFAIK there have been no test cases in the courts, so no definite answer is available. Self propelled machines (combines, sprayers, foragers etc) CAN be driven on class F, although age limits change depending on weight.. They are defined as wheeled agricultural vehicles and are therefore outside the normal rules and regs. "Wheeled agricultural motor vehicles (which are not tractors) over 3500kg can be driven by the holder of Category B (B+E when towing) licence provided the minimum age requirements shown on the back of the licence are adhered to." One exception to this is combines and header trailers, you do NOT need a B+E to tow a header trailer behind a combine. Please dont contradict me without getting stuff right!
  • Tue, Dec 15 2009 9:19 In reply to

I think you would extremely stupid to go out on a quadtrac without a tracklayer licence, This will only tell if someone has a nasty accident and if it turns out you have not got a licnece you also have no insurance. Any farmwer allowing a member of staff to do such a thing requires his head looking at.

• Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:31 In reply to

• sheeplad010
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 13 2010
    • berwick upon tweed

are you aloud to drive on the road with a 14 ton trailor when you are 16??

• Fri, Jan 15 2010 13:44 In reply to

yea, go for it, your fine

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 15:19 In reply to

• fred b
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 11 2010

have got my provisional, but can i book my test a month before birthday or not seems un-clear, is a 16t trailer ok (it is thin enough)

• Wed, Feb 10 2010 19:30 In reply to

• adam19493
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Nr Cambridge

yeah i think so, they can always say no.

just read this thread over, and how can someone have failed TWICE? it is the easiest test in the world. just drive round, dont go over 30K (20mph), indicate in plenty of time, stick to your side of the road, be over cautious, and make it blatantly obvious youre looking at youre mirrors. 

you actually have to be making an effort to fail. 

• Thu, Feb 11 2010 15:37 In reply to

When i passed my tractor test i had all the restictions to apply with like cant be over 2.45meters and have to have trailer with only two axles, which of course i stuck byWinkWinkWink.

But now i have passed my car test do these "restictions" go out the window??

Perry

Page 2 of 3 (74 items) < Previous   1 2 3   Next >
© RBI 2001-2010