Forums

10FT DISC MOWER CONDITIONER

Started by anonymous

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

anonymous
    Topics: 7342
    Replies: 44296

I HAVE A 130HP NH TRACTOR WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST MOWER TO BUY,WHO CUTS GRASS THE BEST,

anonymous

Reco they excellent. Strong well made

anonymous

Krone, best on the market by miles. Exchanged a Taarup 338 for a Krone AMT 4M last year and major improvement although the Taarup was a good machine. Needs the ****** though, use it on a MF 4270 (115) and reckon we could do with another 25-30 HP to make it sing. 2000 acres through it last year with no bother at all apart from a few blades breaking

anonymous

I would reccomend the John Deere 331 mower. We have used one for 2 seasons now and it is built much better than anything else on the market. It does a as good a job as most conditioning and it goes well behind 125hp so it should do fine with 130hp. However, for best conditioning I found our old Vicon HPC mower did the best job by miles and grass wilted much faster than the stuff cut by the JD. Unfortunatly, the build quality of the Vicon was crap and it had to be rebuilt after every acre it cut!

Look back at farmers weekly from last september/october time and they did a comparison of 3m mounted mowers from 10 different builders and the JD and Kuhn came out much better than anyone else.

Hope this helps.

Pete

anonymous

The JD is built by Kuhn

anonymous

I’ll second that. Our’s is a nine foot Krone and we normally pull it with 100 h.p- does a good job except on steep fields where the horses come under pressure! We sometimes use a 130 h.p tractor for these jobs and it (the mower) is like a toy behind it. I won’t mention which make of tractors we use for fear of starting something!
    I honestly believe that the krone has a much cleaner cut than the very popular john deere.
    Hope this helps.

anonymous

Even though the JD is built by Kuhn and is very similar to their model there are differances such as the JD has a steel finger conditioner rather than nylon fingers on the Kuhn and there were a couple more differances pointed out in the FW tests such as the better paint job on the JD and also it weights a bit more which is probably down to the conditioner.

Pete

anonymous

Peter,
    I noticed that too. I was looking at an American forum a while ago and someone was asking for opinions about JD mowers. The consensus was that the Kuhn built ones were far superior than those built by JD themselves.

anonymous

Steel finger conditioner can be fitted to Kuhn

anonymous

JD trailed is probably best to use,
    but,,, very wide on road . and standard trailed has something wrong with geometry of pto,, it doesent like turning right, will turn left fine but dont understand why, apparently swivel gearbox sorts this out.
    it has brilliant bed suspencion
    Grumpy.

anonymous

Have used a Lely 2.8 mower conditioner for last 7 years. currently using Slendimow and find hp requirement low used on 110 hp valtra. leaves a sensible stubble nylon fingers get high wilt, june sunny weather could make hay in 4 days. like the mounted transport position for road travelling. optimow 2.8 gearbox a bit iffy. can cut 60 acres + before turning blades. grass regrowth after cutting excellent.

anonymous

we run a 10 year old jd 1360 and a 3yr old 1365 trailed wide swath kit fitted to both absoloutly fantastic machines pull one with ajd 6610 and other with mf 3075 easy to drive cheap to run blades approx 50p full swivell hitch model easier to use but takes more power as drive runs throgh 2 more gearboxes speak to stuart cornthwaite at cornthwaite farm machinery he usually has some in you wont regret buying one

anonymous

Buy a John Deere or Kuhn. Have used cousin’s 10 ft trailed Deere 1360 for the last 10 years in generally heavy crops. Superb bit of kit except it has the standard drawbar which doesn’t like turning corners. Cut quality is excellent. Our ground is all upland LFA in need of a good rolling and there are no stripes left whatsoever. Has been driven by everything from a 2650 to a turned up 6910 and just keeps churning out higher output – though admittedly at the expense of conditioning quality. A bit wide for our narrow roads but that goes for any trailed.
    Happy New Year
    Dave (mid Wales)

anonymous

I had a 2.8m krone mounted mower conditioner. Had to get rid after 3 1/2 seasons as it was costing a bloody fortune in gearbox repairs and replacement steel conditioner tines. It made a good job of mowing but the spreader hood was a bit flimsey and could have been more even spread. Now use a contractor with a new 3.2 m trailed taruup which does a great job and the spreader hood is excellent.

anonymous

I bought a nearly new one (trailed) about eight years ago. A lot of material has gone through it since,not all of it was grass!! I replaced two seals in the gearbox,one yoke end in the driveshaft.
    Also two gears in the bed (with the associated bearings) after a confrontation with a large rock.
    Apart from this there was flail replacement.
    I sold it last year (privately) as I got a good deal on a new one.
    Are you sure it was a krone you had? Or was the percentage of grass going through your’s lower than mine? [;)]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore