Forums

Badger cull in England

Started by Tim.Relf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 437 total)

Tim RelfTim.Relf
    Keymaster
    Topics: 450
    Replies: 1378

Seems it could be just days before a badger cull is given the go-ahead in England. 

Know there’s a thread about what’s happening (or not happening!) in Wales, but thought it was worth starting one re the situation in England.

Here’s one of the latest FWi news stories.

Groups opposed to the cull, meanwhile, are also upping the ante.

ribofbeef
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 8

Dear Lord Crebbs ,are you from the same planet as the rest of us . How on earth do you keep cattle away from badgers . Have you no practical sense on how this is so far from possible . All fences would need to be netted below ground , solid field gates  etc etc etc . Badgers are bold enough to walk into farm yards and eat the feed from troughs. The increase in maize use has created a feed source for them in abundance . The idea of a vaccine only creates yet another operation and welfare issue for the cattle and the farmer. And much like the blue tongue farce an opurtunity for vaccine makers to whip a price frenzy into place, only then to find that in 5years time its not quite working as well on that particular strain of tb . 

A one off cull that targets every badger in an infected area. Specifically leaving the counties that have had no reactors. Nature would allow these badgers to slowly repopulate the country over the next 10- 15 years.

branston pickle
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 93

Krebs is widely reported as saying a badger cull will only reduce the incidence of TB by 15%. Assuming that Krebs is correct (and I acknowledge that after his previous mishandling of the TB trials thats quite an assumption) its difficult to see how the Environment minister can give the go ahead for the cull without committing political suicide.

And the anti-farmer sentiments that an ineffectual cull will create in the wider population won’t do much for the standing of farmers either.

Its very frustrating that a vaccine is not available. Does anyone know why its proving so difficult to develop an effective vaccine?

Sparrow
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

There is a vaccine that works to a degree, its the same one as for Humans but it is not licensed for use in cattle, but if you vaccinate it has to be done with EU approval or else you have no chance of any exports or trade.

Swagger
    Replies: 64

Sparrow

There is a vaccine that works to a degree, its the same one as for Humans but it is not licensed for use in cattle, but if you vaccinate it has to be done with EU approval or else you have no chance of any exports or trade.

I didn’t think that any approval process was available, because the required tests cannot distinguish between animals that have TB and those which have been vaccinated against it.

fretawfretaw
    Participant
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 734

Swagger

[quote user="Sparrow"]There is a vaccine that works to a degree, its the same one as for Humans but it is not licensed for use in cattle, but if you vaccinate it has to be done with EU approval or else you have no chance of any exports or trade.

I didn’t think that any approval process was available, because the required tests cannot distinguish between animals that have TB and those which have been vaccinated against it.

[/quote]

Oh dear, its starting again, more jobs for the white collar brigade, more rules for us to toe the line, more expense, and more losses in the meantime.

Bring back the old game keepers, they knew how many badgers their patch could sustain, culling is not extermination, its reducing the numbers to a sustainable level, and that should be done on a local level. 

Just talk to them who used to do the job, badgers never went on the endanger list as far as I’m aware back then.

Peter WellsPeter Wells
    Topics: 470
    Replies: 4981

Owd Fred

Bring back the old game keepers, they knew how many badgers their patch could sustain, culling is not extermination, its reducing the numbers to a sustainable level, and that should be done on a local level

There is such a lot of wisdom in local people having a controlling influence on their own locale. In this country we really do have the balance wrong between the desire to treat everything on a national level, with all the concomitant centralisation, standardisation and bureaucracy, and localism with its down sides of … There must be some but I can’t think of any at the moment.

Tim RelfTim.Relf
    Keymaster

I see a controversial Tory MP has been criticisised for suggesting that a badger cull would be a good idea because it would bring the price of shaving brushes down…

Swagger
    Replies: 64

I’m not sure who’s the bigger fool – the MP for saying such a stupid thing, or his critics for lacking a sense of humour.

henararhenarar
    Participant
    Topics: 148
    Replies: 4298

It may well be true though

Farmtalking
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 37

Perhaps readers would like to check out some of the history of Sir John Krebs – http://www.warmwell.com/andersongroup.html

Tim RelfTim.Relf
    Keymaster

Farmer Dan 6465
    Topics: 42
    Replies: 811

Peter WellsPeter Wells
    Topics: 470
    Replies: 4981

Tim.Relf

I see a controversial Tory MP has been criticisised for suggesting that a badger cull would be a good idea because it would bring the price of shaving brushes down… 

I clicked the link and had a chuckle at the Wikepaedia link which listed all of the MP’s so-called ‘controversial’ positions. Note: I have put the word controversial in ”   because the issues are defined as such only by people who, for their own reasons, wish to disparage views that do not accord with their own.

I do not necessarily agree with all his views, but I do so enjoy seeing others squirm with discomfort when they are forced, through the act of reading, to confront ideas their own minds are not ready to consider.

There is a group of people in this country who really do enjoy labelling any idea and any person with which they do not agree, Reactionary or Controversial.

I take my hat off to anyone courageous (or silly) enough to deliberately enrage the santimonious piety of the liberal elite.

Jonathan RileyJonathan Riley
    Participant
    Topics: 63
    Replies: 43

Caroline Spelman is set to make an announcement at 13:30 on Tuesday 19 July. The minister will set out plans to control bovine tuberculosis in England. It is thought that these plans will include proposals for a badger cull, possibly a pilot of free shooting in two hotspot areas. Press briefings are already underway.
    Visit our dedicated channel on bovine TB here. We have pulled together scientific papers a live feed, timeline, videos and an archive of tb stories.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 437 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore