Forums

can ringworm kill???

Started by RayBird1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

RayBird1RayBird1
    Topics: 32
    Replies: 109

Got a 6mth old hiefer calf with what looks like a severe case of ringworm over her head/neck but she has got very laboured and irratic breathing and is very unresposive in her head, her vision also seems to have gone as she generally walks into everything and is unaware of your presence. BUT this is 3rd animal to go like it from a bunch of 4 bought last autumn, unfortunately we have lost the other 2 animals and expect to loose this 1. Could a severe case of ringworm kill a calf of this age?? plus she’s been in a bunch of 12, surely if it was just your usual standard ringworm it would have spread through the rest of the bunch?? good appetite but loosing body condition, dung is of good consistancy. Any thoughts are welcome, vet has done blood test from last calf to die and it did come back showing positive to ringworm, but other than that fine. Its got us all a bit stumped!!!! Have agreed to have post mortem done on this 1 when/if it dies. Help!!!

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

RayBird1

Any thoughts are welcome, vet has done blood test from last calf to die and it did come back showing positive to ringworm, but other than that fine.

I’ve never heard of ringworm being fatal. Did the vet test for BVD and Johnes ? We had a bull once with bad ringworm. He would not gain condition no matter how much we fed him. We sent him back to the breeder who had him tested for BVD and he was positive.

CumbrianRedstar
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

RayBird1

Have agreed to have post mortem done on this 1 when/if it dies. Help!!!

Get blood tests etc done previous to this happening or before giving any meds if you have an agreeable vet. We have had some strange things happening with sheep recently, took three for post mortem but apparently some things leave the bodies quickly and need to be tested for whilst the animal is still alive and prior to any drugs being given. Although saying that we have had another two go that got tested alive and drug free and still no conclusion. Symptoms suggest lead poisoning, tests say otherwise.

henararhenarar
    Participant
    Topics: 148
    Replies: 4298

Do you no where they came form well enough to ask about it? sounds ike they could be lacking something

What have you treated the ringworm with?

BrownCowBrownCow
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 729

Any results yet? My money is on a PI.  Hope for your sake I am wrong.  It sounds like the immune system has been shot down.

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

BrownCow

My money is on a PI

+1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore