Forums

Ford 8630 Powershift

Started by barndoor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

barndoor
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 26

Hi

John here again. Well I didn’t buy either the 8210 or the TW 15 which I had a look at. The Tw was tatty and the 8210 had no rear linkage and was a Q cab. Ive come accross a 8630 Powershift with a 40K box. What are these like. Are they reliable? What should I be on the lookout for when I view/test it?

Kind Regards,

John

glasshouseglasshouse
    Participant
    Topics: 143
    Replies: 5107

same troubles as tw15, except electric side of gearbox can give trouble.

otherwise box is bombproof

bluepaintbluepaint
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 441

I’d go for a nice TW15……..[;)]

barndoor

Thanks.

Glasshouse, will I know if the gearbox is ok from the test drive?

glasshouseglasshouse
    Participant

if it goes up and down the gears ok, then its fine.

a nh engineer could tell you what state the actual box is in by pushing buttons.

there is always a big jump from 9–10, others should be smooth.

find out what work its been doing, and how many owners.

MauriceMc Grath1
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Still have an 8630, albeit a 30km/h version. Has never been any trouble at all, and up untill this year did all the ploughing with a 5 furrow kv eg reversible with full set of discs and spring loaded. Needs two full sets of weights to stay down, but they are still one of the best tractors to pull for their size.

The only problem i would say is that the powershift gearbox seems to sap more engine power the higher the gear you are in. On the road, even on a moderate hill ours will drop maybe 100-150 revs even with nothing on the back. And with any kind of a load our ford 6600 would probably outpull it on the road. For ploughing and sub-soiling its fine, even baling and the like is grand, but haulage is out of the question, with ours anyway.

It put out 135 hp at the pto last year and the pump has never been touched. Once warm, there is no smoke whatsoever, even under load. I would drive the tractor you are looking at on the road to see if you find if it is as dead as ours.

bluepaintbluepaint
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 441

I just posted a similar question on another forum that i`m semi retiring my TW20 which has been an absoluteley fantastic tractor of 11`500 hrs and do i go with the devil i know with another TW15 superQ or an 8210 turbo …..TW25 is obviously the choice but i need a shorter snout for row crop work..

glasshouseglasshouse
    Participant

has to be tw15 with a tweek, or an 8630 with crash box

mind you, my 8630  goes fine with powershift.

its a great tractor if your left arm is in a sling., everything is on the right.

Samuel Kingstonsjk
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1271

I take its hell if your right is in a sling then [;)]

Samuel Kingstonsjk
    Participant

I take its hell if your right is in a sling then [;)]

glasshouseglasshouse
    Participant

i suppose so, have to sit at home, or drive the pickup.

barndoor

Well Glasshouse,

I test drove the 8630 on Saturday morning. She went up and down through the gears o.k. Throttle was a tad heavy but nothing too bad. She jumped a little between 9th and 10th….. no leaks or unwanted oil visible anywhere. there were a few thing that I was not sure about though.

When the tractor was idling and the pto engaged, there was a slight rattle in the back end – what would cause this? 

Secondly there was a slight problem with the electrics, the a/c, wipers, front lights and the digital dash and the hour meter were all not working, – I suspect that this may be due to a blown fuse etc?  

How do you change the pto from 1000 (narrow spline) to 540 ( wide spline) rpm – the chap that was selling the tractor said that he was only using it for pulling a low loader and dump trailer so he didn’t use the pto and I didn’t notice a shift leaver. Is it that the pto has to be turned around?

Any info that anyone has on this would greatly appreciated,

Regards

John

glasshouseglasshouse
    Participant

the pto needs a different shaft for 1000 rpm. ive got 2 or 3 lying about.

digi dashed are a pain, it might be goosed.

electrics should be easy fixed.

i,m sure they all rattle if the pto is not loaded.

barndoor

Is it a major job to switch the shaft from 540 to 1000 rpm?

Samuel Kingstonsjk
    Participant

If its like our 6610 (not that I’ve had to do it) you park it facing down a steep slope take off a large circlip and it should slide out and then you put the other shaft in then circlip though I’m not sure if you have to be careful about a bit that can drop in to the back axle if you’re not careful in which case can mean taking the back axle a part.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore