Forums

Pain medications for sheep

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Alberta sheep farmer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

I am looking for advice. I live in northern Alberta Canada in a very isolated region and we live hours away from any vets. I have a young ewe that broke her back leg this morning and I think it will be possible to splint it. I wantto give her something for pain but I can hardly find information on pain medications for sheep. I have access to many medications but not sure if they will be effective for sheep.

stapler
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 76

Metacam springs to mind but I don’t know if it is recommended for sheep

Phil Goodyear
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 370

I use Finadyne ( flunixin ) for pain relief in sheep.  I’ve also heard of aspirin being used.  If you can get leg set and bandaged she will probably do without much medication.

Alberta sheep farmer

Thank you both for the information! Her leg is set and splinted and shes looking good.

JacobusJacobus
    Topics: 45
    Replies: 2284

Flunixin is the pain relief we use for sheep.  As it’s an injection it is more precise and probably quicker to administer than metacam which (for dogs anyway, and I guess for sheep too) is given orally.

Alberta sheep farmer

I was sadly unable to find flunixin in our area. Not sure if its available in Alberta. Living so far from the vet has drawbacks too. I end up getting most of my supplies from cattle stores because thats mainly what they raise around here. I did read up that tramadol could be given for moderate to severe pain. I gave her one before i set it and now i am giving her aspirin.

crazysheepcrazysheep
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 855

I have a ewe who jiggered her hips prior to lambing – probably butted by another. I kept her in and she duly lambed 4 days later, but was reluctant to rise to feed her lambs. I went to the vet, who prescribed Metacam injection (used for cattle) 2.5ml/100kg every other day. Although still very slow, she is in a more comfortable condition and managed to shuffle around the field with her lambs today. I’m hoping she will be able to rear the lambs, then make a decision on her future. So Metacam is available as an injection for sheep.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore