Forums

Re: Schmallenberg (SBV) virus

Started by ohbakasan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

Philip Caseohbakasan
    Participant
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 3

Livestock farmers are being urged to be vigilant after a new disease, the Schmallenberg (SBV) virus, was found on four sheep farms in eastern England. Although the disease is not notifiable, DEFRA says it wants farmers to report all suspicious cases. The disease, first discovered in Germany, has been linked to miscarriages and still births in sheep, cattle and goats. Symptoms include fever, reduced milk yield, loss of appetite and body condition, and in some cases diarrhoea, with symptoms disappearing after a few days.

DEFRA says the true extent of Schmallenberg is unknown. Like Bluetongue, the disease is transmitted by midges. But scientists believe that the threat from SBV to human health is very low. However, are you worried about this disease and do you have concerns that your stock may have been affected?

Peter WellsPeter Wells
    Topics: 470
    Replies: 4981

We had the vet out to a problem ewe and the lambs looked like this but:  The ewe had prolapsed and frankly, dead lambs often look like this and in our case the ewe exhibted no symptons of anything until immediately prior to aborting.

Photograph of a lamb affected by arthrogryposis (persistent flexion of the joints) arthrogryposis is one of the congenital abnormalities associated with SBV infection. Image courtesy AHVLA.

perry6420
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 87

So would it be similar to ezootic a toxoplasma

baa-lamb
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 115

I’m sure every farmer would be worried, from what i have read the midges/mosquitoes don’t emerge until around may,(when most stock was apparently effected last year) i’m guessing a good dose of fly treatment put onto stock well in advance of this and kept up with surely can only help? for any risk’s this year, and maybe some garlic buckets?, Although all fly treatments we tried on our cattle last year were having no repel effect, a bit like putting water on!, with lambing starting for us in 3 weeks, and them grazing water meadows, well liked by midges, fly’s etc, gulp!, time can only tell,
    dare i say it let us hope it ends up like blue tongue and goes away fairly quickly. without to much damage.

Isabel DaviesIsabel Davies
    Topics: 696
    Replies: 2383

I’ve had a very interesting email from a farmer in Belgium who is warning that some producers are losing 20-30% of lambs to this and the number of confirmed cases is going to rise dramatically as it takes several days to go from suspect to confirmed. Will try and see if we can get more from our European colleagues to help increase understanding.  http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2012/01/27/131192/belgian-farmers-own-account-of-schmallenberg.html

AHVLAGIRL
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

So far we have only seen the tip of the iceberg in this country. Once people start lambing and calving there will be many more cases. The key question at present, which we cannot answer is whether the virus has survived the winter in sheep and cattle. Midges are unlikely to survive and be infectious. If cattle and sheep are harbouring the virus, or if their offspring are carrying it, when the midge season arrives in april or may this disease will quickly spread across the country. In East Anglia they are starting to see problems, with reports that up to 70% of sheep farmers that have started lambing already have seen deformed lambs. In some cases this is only 2% of the lamb crop, in others up to 25%. Numbers of confirmed cases are rising very quickly on the continent. This is likely to happen here. On the continent they are seeing this as a disease mainly of sheep but I think that is only because people are lambing but not many are calving yet. It would be really good if cattle are not as susceptible to the disease as sheep, but there is little reason to believe this, we will only know when East Anglian farmers start calving.

Isabel DaviesIsabel Davies
    Topics: 696
    Replies: 2383

Confirmation that the number of cases is now at 11. All in sheep.so far.

xdrfox
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 23

midges here also, please read this,

90 percent + white-tailed deer populations dead, Northern Plains

To Mass Animal Death on Monday, January 09, 2012

http://members.beforeitsnews.com/story/1599/838/90_percent_white-tailed_deer_populations_dead,_Northern_Plains

is there any chance this may be radiation fallout ?  The jet stream from Japan is going over your heads falling in your fields !

radiation fallout from Japan, it’s worse them reported ! If it isn’t fallout, you should still be mindful and do some simple testing !

.html

http://enenews.com/

Peace !

field diarist
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

This season’s lambing in Shelfanger flock: Dec. 3rd abortion, Dec. 26th abortion, Jan. 29th twins, one normal and the other very deformed limbs and born with rigour-mortis, Jan. 31st twins 1st born dead but normal, the 2nd born badly deformed with rigour-mortis. The example of deformity in the AHVLA is not as extreme as the ones in my lambs.

Tim RelfTim.Relf
    Keymaster
    Topics: 450
    Replies: 1378

baa-lamb
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 115

Xdrfox, it is something i thought about too, i looked about on the net to try and find which way the winds were blowing around the time of march April when the plant leaked. And also in may (i had read in another article that this is when they reckon the midges were starting to emerge)- but didn’t get very far, one thing i did find was that some rabbits were found born NR by it with no ears,
    although if they did somehow pick up radiation and fly off infecting stock surely japan would be suffering this more?

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

Quick question, hope someone out there can answer it. Let’s say that the worst happens and your flock gets affected by the disease. Will the ewes have built up any resistance before next years breeding season ?

townietownie
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 1059

welshnwilling

Quick question, hope someone out there can answer it. Let’s say that the worst happens and your flock gets affected by the disease. Will the ewes have built up any resistance before next years breeding season ?

From what I’ve been reading, the answer to this is no-one knows.  They aren’t even certain what the pathogen is, just that its a virus of some kind that appears to be midge-bourne.  Any further info on the diesase and it’s progress will only come with time.

Tim RelfTim.Relf
    Keymaster
    Topics: 450
    Replies: 1378

henararhenarar
    Participant
    Topics: 148
    Replies: 4298

I think this could be bad

As for these fly treatments to keep the midjes of I dont think they work anyway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore