Forums

Solar panels on barns – opinions needed

Started by mattberkshire

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

mattberkshire
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 9

I work for a solar developer. As you know the feed in tariff review is underway with the results expected in the next month or so. As a result we are exploring other options. The feed in tariff review only covers installations over 50kW, or about 500 square metres, so for the time being 50kW installations are safe.

Knowing that, we are looking at how best to deploy 50kW installations across the south and came up with the idea of supplying free barns with panels on the roof. In essence we would supply a free barn (steel framed, 15x30m, 3m tall at the lowest point, 7m tall at the highest point) to anyone who wants one and who is in the right location. Preferably this would replace an existing building with not many years life left in it (makes planning easier). We would supply and install and connect to the grid and the farmer would own the barn – we would take a 25 year lease on the roof for a peppercorn rent.

I’m not drumming up custom at the moment (when we are ready are we’ll put an ad in FW) – I am seeking opinion on how much much take-up we’d get. Would you be interested? Let me know what you think

bovrilbovril
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 2385

I’m just looking into dismantling a 15m 30m timber frame shed, cheaply built about 30+ years ago, to replace it with a steel frame one. What might put you off is that I need 4m+ at the eaves (to get tractors in!) and I want to build it 20 to 40m away from the original, so that I can reinstate the old courtyard which was covered up in the late ’70s.
    Location wise I’m Essex coast. If it’s of any interest to you, let me know!

bovrilbovril

I just realised that I didn’t mention that I would be very interested!
    There’s also a 3 phase transformer at the end of the shed from the 11kva lines which pass by, a 33kva line 140m away, and a 133kva line 400m away (although that will probably be upgraded to 400 when they build the new power station 10 miles away.)

TeslaCoilsTeslaCoils
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 2286

I’d rather build the barn and lease you the roof.

You would I presume need to be fairly close to a grid connection for it to work – you wont be paing for a new 3ph supply to said barn?

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

Sounds like a fair deal to me. How far North would you go ?

mattberkshire

bovril

I’m just looking into dismantling a 15m 30m timber frame shed, cheaply built about 30+ years ago, to replace it with a steel frame one. What might put you off is that I need 4m+ at the eaves (to get tractors in!) and I want to build it 20 to 40m away from the original, so that I can reinstate the old courtyard which was covered up in the late ’70s.

Location wise I’m Essex coast. If it’s of any interest to you, let me know!

The roof will necessarily be flat and slope from the north to south.  At it’s lowest point it is 3m to the eaves.  Is this too low?  Do you think 4m should be the minimum roof height? 

mattberkshire

bovril

I just realised that I didn’t mention that I would be very interested!

There’s also a 3 phase transformer at the end of the shed from the 11kva lines which pass by, a 33kva line 140m away, and a 133kva line 400m away (although that will probably be upgraded to 400 when they build the new power station 10 miles away.)

Domestic 415v 3 phase should be suitable but 11kV is good too.  33kV will require too much kit to transform the power down.  I only just created the profile today – can you PM on this forum?  If so PM me and I can take your details and add you to our database.  Thanks

mattberkshire

How far north are you?  South wales is happy hunting ground.  The solar levels are quite high up to the south of the brecon beacons and then in a line south of cardigan and carmarthen.  Above that, I’m not so sure

mattberkshire

TeslaCoils

I’d rather build the barn and lease you the roof.

You would I presume need to be fairly close to a grid connection for it to work – you wont be paing for a new 3ph supply to said barn?

We can do that too.  It’s just a matter of speed and planning permission.  Also, if we build a new building we don’t need to do a roof survey – we already know the structural capacity.  But anything’s possible.  We would pay rent or supply electricity if we installed on someones roof.  As for power – it all depends on what’s there already but we can upgrade a power supply if the cost isn’t excessive

henararhenarar
    Participant
    Topics: 148
    Replies: 4298

Are you talking about a monopitch shed or apex?

bovrilbovril

mattberkshire

The roof will necessarily be flat and slope from the north to south.  At it’s lowest point it is 3m to the eaves.  Is this too low?  Do you think 4m should be the minimum roof height? 

Does that mean it’s a mono-pitch roof across the 15m? That’s no problem, in fact probably an advantage for access from the north, but it’s quite unusual.
    3m would probably suit more livestock area tractors, but they keep getting taller and I can’t get through a couple of low eaves of sheds built in the ’60s. Most arable tractors seem over 10′ high now, and those flashing beacons we all have to fit add another foot! The south side will obviously be the lowest for your benefit, and usually the favoured way in for ours, giving a drier, sunnier entrance apron.
    I’ll DM you my details.

mattberkshire

Monopitch. Not the nicest looking but a necessity as the panels have to be south facing

EP90
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 76

If you had an existing south facing building of the correct height, then you could build the “new” Mono against it and use it as a lean-to. You would also have the option of putting panels on the older building as well.

mattberkshire

EP90

If you had an existing south facing building of the correct height, then you could build the “new” Mono against it and use it as a lean-to. You would also have the option of putting panels on the older building as well.

Absolutely. Good idea. Existing building Would need plenty of life in it but defiantly a workable idea. Thanks

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

mattberkshire

How far north are you?  South wales is happy hunting ground.  The solar levels are quite high up to the south of the brecon beacons and then in a line south of cardigan and carmarthen.  Above that, I’m not so sure

Just North of Aberystwyth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore