Forums

Tractor Test And Licences

Started by tom the ferreter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

tom the ferreter
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 25

hello
    i am 16 next month and want to be able to use a tractor leagally on the farm and on the roads what is the score and have you got any infomation on tractor tests? licences

texel2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Hi

I don’t know anything the test details but are hoping to do one soon (after my 16th birthday) Details from anyone else would be apprecieted.

Matthew

Marguerite CrozierSam T Mann
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 111

See

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2006/07/07/96012/how-to-pass-a-tractor-driving-test-with-ease.html

Smiley

field marshall
    Replies: 14

as good s it sounds you will be restricted to what you can drive and do.  you cant drive in restricted areas such as 30 and 40 mph zones.  you have to keep L plates up like on a scooter.  Don’t quote me but i’m nearly sure your total gross weight will be around 6.5 – 7 ton.  even when you pass the car test you are still limited to a trailer weight of 750 kg. In order to drive a tractor and trailer with gross weight 25 ton (eg TM140 with 14 ton sialge trailer full)  you have to do you car test then the car trailer test.

crap as it sounds thats the law.  trust me I had the points on my liscence from when i was younger to prove it.

farmers surfer
    Replies: 1

Hi,

Im 16 early next year and hoping to do my cat F test to enable me to drive tractors legally on the road – All being well. I have read the comments accosiated  with this post thing and was wondering is it really true that the max gross weight has to be less than 7 tonnes and various other tests are needed to drive a tractor and trailer combination?

Many thanks,

Steve

tom the ferreter

well im 16 taking my tset soon borrwed a trctor of the farm so i will take it as soon as i get the money tom

spannerman1
    Replies: 12

I am sorry to stick my oar in but 4 years ago when I took my tractor test (God that makes me feel old) me and my then employer rang his insurance company the DVLA and the traffic division of the ****** police and asked what the restrictions where and all 3 gave near enough the same response that I couldnt drive anything, tow or carry anything wider than 2.45 meters that I could only tow single or twin axle close coupled trailers not 5 wheel trailers and I cold not drive any self propelled machines on public highways  e.g. combine sprayer but I could drive a loadall  providing a had a valid certificate you can drive any agricultural vehicle with the limits of 2.45 meters and you only have to display L plates on the way to test and if you fail someone else needs to drive the tractor home for you. I cant guarantee any of this is gospel but thats what we were told 4 years ago if you have any more question e-mail me on gareth@bell836.fsnet.co.uk 

texel2

Hi

Does anyone know anything else about driving after the test in a restricted zone, ie 30mph. Is it not allowed, are their exceptions, or is it true at all?

Matthew

field marshall
    Replies: 14

your only allowed to drive in a restricted zone on the way to or from the test.  This is the car test.  People get this confused with the tractor test.  You cannot drive a tractor in a resricted zone unless you have passed the car test.  In order to pull a tractor and trailer up to 24 ton gross weight you must have the B+E on your liscence.  this is the car and trailer test.  without this all you are allowed is a trailer with a total weight of 750kg. 

this is fact. we get away with it as there a re that many loopholes and grey areas and the police aren’t really sure what there on about

anonymous
    Topics: 7342
    Replies: 44296

i was told that when u get to the age of 21 u can pull any trailer u want with a tractor if u have your B+E liecene anyway. and i no u r only restricted from controlled zones such as 30mph in ireland

texel2

So in England + Scotland driving in restricted zone after the categary F test is fine?

tom the ferreter

thanks for all ur help im now 16 have been putting in hours in the tractor im starting tonight to apply for my provisonal and ive asked the farm owner if i can use the tractor he says no probs got a form from the dsa ive just got to book the test the tractor im starting with is big but is just under the width limit of  2.45 its a massey ferguson 8110 and also can i got out on the road with l plates on with a mate of mine who has passed his test to give me some lesson ?

thanks a lot will post more when i get more tom

jock66
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 98

Im sure once you have ur car test (at17) u rnt limited to any trailers behind a tractor, aslong as ur wole yolk weighs less than 24ton. no such thing as restricted zones in scotland/england. u arent ment to drive anything wider than it could b 2.45m or 3m not sure until ur over 21, same goes 4 self propelds ie combines and tracked machines 2. main thing is to avoid giving the cops an excuse to stop you! between 16-17 is a grey area, wen i was ur age, 7 years ago i didnt think ther was much benifit to siting a tractor test, I couldnt do the few road jobs that we were doin then so i just waited til i was 17, not that i didnt chance it on the road a few times with no ticket at all!

driver_99
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

I am 17 and hold a full UK driving license. During the summer i was running grain from the field to the store. I dont hold a B+E entitlement but didnt think this would be a problem as i am driving a tractor and not a car?? The law seems very vague in this area and wondered if someone could shed some light on the scene?? also are there any weight limits until i get to 21 or width limits??

anonymous
    Topics: 7342
    Replies: 44296

no u aint restricted in england and wales

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore