Forums

What are the most reliable tractors?

Started by pdboxer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

pdboxer
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 1441

John Deere? Massey Ferguson? Vendt?

I always loved the look of Ford’s and New Hollands, but my old ford cars in the old days didn’t fill me with confidence about buying them, and New Holland is owned by fiat who along with renault build the worst cars I have ever experienced. Don’t see any German or Japanese tractors, which are my two first ports of call usually to buy equipment.

anonymous
    Topics: 7342
    Replies: 44296

over 20,000 hours on a jdeere7810 i say jdeeres are the best built to last

Phil Goodyear
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 370

camshaft

over 20,000 hours on a jdeere7810 i say jdeeres are the best built to last

The 10 series certainly were!!!

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

Phil Goodyear

The 10 series certainly were!!!

I’ve no wish to run down JD tractors but I honestly don’t think the latest ones are that much better than any other brand. I’d say you’d have to be pretty unlucky these days to get a bad one of any make. Of course there will always be sob stories about a Friday afternoon tractor of practically any make you care to name but IMHO the dealers after sales backup and location are far more important than the brand.

pdboxer, there are many Japanese tractors, Kubota being the most popular by far. As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I’m sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.

anonymous

regardless off cost buy once buy the best ,newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate

Phil Goodyear
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 370

I don’t disagree with wnw but the JD7810 was a true classic. 

blackbob
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 16

Renault made much better tractors than they did cars, and I think the same applied to Fiat too.
    Most makes seem to have models/ranges which are more reliable than others of the same make.
    Generally most reliable = most expensive to buy = most expensive to repair!

welshnwillingwelshnwilling
    Participant
    Topics: 146
    Replies: 5913

Phil Goodyear

the JD7810 was a true classic. 

As were the Case MX series and MF 100 and 200 series years ago.

You will all laugh but some of the best tractors we ever owned were Fiat’s. I didn’t appreciate their simplicity at the time but there wasn’t much that you couldn’t fix with a socket set, a lump hammer and some gas. Modern tractors need a technician with a laptop to do something simple like calibrate the clutch (or whatever it’s called these days)

anonymous

welshnwilling

[quote user="Phil Goodyear"]the JD7810 was a true classic. 

As were the Case MX series and MF 100 and 200 series years ago.

You will all laugh but some of the best tractors we ever owned were Fiat’s. I didn’t appreciate their simplicity at the time but there wasn’t much that you couldn’t fix with a socket set, a lump hammer and some gas. Modern tractors need a technician with a laptop to do something simple like calibrate the clutch (or whatever it’s called these days)

[/quote] all john deeres are simple to calibrate you dont need laptop or technician

the cornish ba#t*rdthe cornish ba#t*rd
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 1560

camshaft

newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate

I reckon that pretty much sums up John Deer rather than New Holland! To be fair, all modern tractors are much of a muchness. You’re almost better off buying somthing a bit older that can be fixed with a socket set and hammer as WnW says. Ford TW’s, now those were real tracotors!

anonymous

the cornish ba#t*rd

[quote user="camshaft"]newholland are nice to look at but too hard on fuel to costly to operate

I reckon that pretty much sums up John Deer rather than New Holland! To be fair, all modern tractors are much of a muchness. You’re almost better off buying somthing a bit older that can be fixed with a socket set and hammer as WnW says. Ford TW’s, now those were real tracotors!

[/quote]tw fords were prone to porous blocks.NOT a problem with my 7810

bankruptbankrupt
    Participant
    Topics: 23
    Replies: 745

As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I’m sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.

As I recall, welshnwilling, there’s an “other” brand knocking out a few near Mannheim.

henararhenarar
    Participant
    Topics: 148
    Replies: 4298

My most reliable tractor long term has to be our MF 565 must have had it 25 years now no major probs

pdboxer
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies everybody. Do you know I wish I could say I only cared about reliability and all that, but is it wrong that I like a lot of tractors just because of how great they look? Also, though the operations I would be doing probably don’t warrant it, I would like a tractor with fat grooved wheels front and back, ie not the ones with the little spindly wheels on front, I’d like a 4wd. Is that as idiotic as it sounds even to me?

pdboxer
    Participant

welshnwilling

pdboxer, there are many Japanese tractors, Kubota being the most popular by far. As for German makes, how about Fendt, Mercedes and Deutz to start with. I’m sure a couple of other brands will also have factories there.

Kubota I thought were only small tractors? Fendt are German built but not German owned right? And some John Deeres are built in Germany I see. Ideally I prefer German owned and German built! I think a Fendt, a John Deere or a Massey Ferguson would see me right.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore