Forums

What Qualifications are neeeded to become an Agronomist?

Started by arable

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

arable
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I am thinking of choosing a career in Agronomy.What qualifications do I need to become an Agronomist? I am currently studying for my Leaving certificate in Ireland.(A-levels in Britain) and need to find out what course I need to apply for it.

TeslaCoilsTeslaCoils
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 2286

Dont think you actually need anything in terms of higher education, although you will need FACTS and BASIS certificates, which you can often do as part of a land-based course at college.

It is the kind of career that actually lends itself to being trained ‘in the field’ – you may be able to go in as a trainee straight from a-levels, and do your professional training through them.

Best advice – speak to your own agronomist, or a large firm like Frontier, Masstock or Agrovista.

Good luck.

arable
    Topics: 1

Thanks TeslaCoils!

tim.tim.
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 108

Having considered it as oneof my possible career options, I can say how valuable a degree in agricultural science is. As tesla says, BASIS and FACTS is a must. The degree really breaks the science of agriculture down, and you UNDERSTAND it. There arent many universities that offer a sciencey course, but there is Newcastle, Nottingham and Reading. I would say Nottingham is the most sciency out of all of them.

Mike Abram - Arable Deputy Editor
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 75

I’d agree the best start is probably to get an agricultural degree either from one of the Universities, or from one of the more traditional agricultrual colleges. But I’m not sure there is any absolute requirement for a degree to be an agronomist, and on the job training can be just as effective. But if you can go to University I would go – not least because it is a greta experience. 

Another route in could be through field trials with an organisation like TAG, a distributor or an agchem manufacturer. I started by doing field trials for Crop Care Chemicals (now part of Agrovista) for a number of years, and it gives you a brilliant understanding of crops, at least the ones you do trials on, and what chemicals / agronomy will be required. After a year of doing trials you will almost certainly be able to recognise common weeds / diseases etc without any problems, and know their latin names too probably!

Most of the distributors are usually looking for good quality trainee agronomists too.

tim.tim.
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 108

Even better, get involved in trials while uou are at uni! I had the oportunity to work fwith a trials manager for TAG, but my dissertation load was high at that time, so unfortunately I couldnt help out. 

While on the subject of TAG, they are desparate for agricultural graduates, and have set up a scheme where they assign you with a senior consultant to train you up. If you enroll when you are at uni, they offer you a bursary. It is only with selected universities though. 

Tas CowboyTas Cowboy
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 144

As an agronomist in Tasmania (Australia) I am curious what BASIS & FACTS are?

I did an Associate Diploma in Applied Science (Agriculture) at college but on the job training is where I have gotten most of my knowledge & experience.

Cheers,

TC [:)] 

glasshouseglasshouse
    Participant
    Topics: 143
    Replies: 5107

Tas cowboy, these acronyms are just british bullshit. On the job training is best, but britain prefers textbook learned incompetence.

ifegwu
    Topics: 0

It is a professional field as such you need a bachelors degree only or ordinary Diploma in agronomy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Explore