Subscribe and save

Farmers Weekly from £127
Saving £36
In print AND tablet

The Farmers Weekly forums are now closed to new comments. You can share your views with us on Twitter, on Facebook or by emailing You can also see and share pictures on our galleries.

Would love to work with a woman farmer for 1 week

Started by ericabear1984

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

I’m writing a book about pig/vegetable farming and I’m a total city person, 23, originally from Chicago, finishing my MA (Political Economy of Russia), and now opening a climate change communications consultancy around London. But I’d really love to understand what a woman farmer deals with — what are your frustrations? Your joys? What are your daily errands?

I’d love to stay at your house for around 1 week and help you out (willing to pay you, too) and learn about how, exactly, you go about being a pig farmer. I’d like to convey that to the British/International audience and be more long-term friends, too, if that’s possible?

If you’ve got any wonderful women friends, do drop me an e-mail.

Thanks very much, Erica

Topics: 25
    Replies: 250

Any farmer in the UK has to deal with many aspects whilst practising his/her art – perhaps before you get too far with your book you should read and learn the content of the following websites – the list is not exhaustive :

1. – read all directives and obey – the European Commission       governs our country

2.  – read all publications, acts of parliament, etc as variously referred to

3. – learn all chemicals, uses and properties

4. – be a good greenie

5. – claim your annual social welfare payment for the environment

6. – keep the air soil and water in good condition

7. -currently keen on chickens but can turn up for piglets health etc.

8. – orgasmic farming

For extra light reading, mainly good news, basic farming guidance – farmers weekly, also National Farmers Union, Country Landowners and Business Association, Tenant Farmers Assoc., Pig Assoc., Sheep Assoc., – these can be googled. 

As you progress through the list you will find more avenues opening up and after several months you will be ready to visit a farm!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)