Banana cake is a flexible dish suitable for the formal or informal – and very tasty, too.
Makes a 6in (15cm) cake
- 400g (14oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 240g (8½oz) dates
- 4 ripe bananas
- 150ml (5fl oz) milk
- 150g (5oz) margarine
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Walnuts to decorate
- Put the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and mix.
- Chop the dates and mix in.
- Put the bananas, vanilla and milk in another bowl and mash them all together.
- Melt the margarine in a small pan over a low heat, then add to the flour and the mashed bananas – mix together thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a small, greased cake tin (6in/15cm), decorate the top of the cake with a few walnuts, and bake in the middle of the oven 160C/gas 3 until a knife inserted in the centre comes out cleanly and the cake is golden on top.
- Add a few more walnuts for decoration.
See more recipes from our Farm Chef