Chip Week returns for its 24th annual celebration from 16-22 February. With the event set to boost potato sales, here’s just one way you can enjoy chips with a twist
Spicy tomato and bean stew with thick cut garlic and parsley chips
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 750g fluffy potatoes, such as Maris Piper or King Edward
• 4 tsp sunflower oil
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1 orange pepper, diced
• 5 tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 400ml hot vegetable stock
• 180g cannellini beans (no added salt), drained
• 180g borlotti beans (no added salt), drained
• 180g red kidney beans in chilli sauce (no added salt)
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1. 220C/200C fan/Gas 7. Chop the potatoes into 2cm thick chips, toss in 2 tsp oil and spread out over two large baking trays. Season and transfer to the oven to bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a medium casserole dish and gently fry the onion and pepper for 5 minutes. Stir through the tomatoes and stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Finally add the drained beans and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Scatter the garlic and two-thirds of the parsley over the chips and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes
4. Serve the tomato and bean stew scattered with the remaining parsley and a pile of garlic and parsley chips.
Chip Week is run by Potato Council. More information at the Love Potatoes website