Dessert lovers could do worse than try their hand at Farm Chef Mary Ann-Beaty’s recipe for a tasty salted caramel pavlova.
- 75g muscovado sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 25g butter
- Pinch of salt
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking team 45 minutes
- 3 egg whites
- 175g sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ pt double cream and fruit to serve
- Heat oven 140C/120C fan/gas 1.
- To make the sauce, combine sugar, butter and cream in a pan over a low heat until the butter and sugar has melted.
- Turn up the heat and boil for two to three minutes.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.
- Mix the vinegar and cornflour.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar, adding the cornflour mixture with the last bit.
- Whisk until glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and spread the meringue in a circle approximately 20cm across.
- When the sauce is cool, drizzle over the pavlova (but save a bit for later) and swirl into the meringue using a knife.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it in the oven until cold.
- Whip the cream, and spread over the meringue, finish with fruit and drizzle the last of the sauce on top.