FWi has been sent a collection of comments you’re unlikely to hear in the farmhouse at this time of year – but what would you add to the list?
Ali Whiteman from Cressage in Shropshire is a manager with the local council. She came up with this list of unlikely harvest time conversations, inspired by living with her partner who is a farmer:
• I’ve taken the chainsaw out of the kitchen.
• Oh, you’ve hoovered – I better take my boots off.
• I’ve fixed the broken toilet seat.
• Can you go to the local machinery dealer and get me a new hose for the tractor. No rush.
• I’ve just had a really good conversation with a group of 20 ramblers. They can’t understand why I have to burn a strip across the crop when there’s a perfectly good stone drive down the side. They’re going to write to Julia Bradbury about it.
• I think Elle MacPherson is overrated.
• I’ve decided to forego that new tractor – we’ll spend it on a kitchen extension instead.
• The police have been to take a statement about the break-in last January.
• I think this old jumper needs to go in the recycling.
• I’ve been speaking to DEFRA, they were really helpful.
• The weather looks good for a week or so, let’s forget the harvest and go away for a few days, I’ve always fancied glamping.
• I don’t know, all these shoes you’ve got, we must buy a larger shoe rack.
• I’ve just been speaking to the local machinery dealer – that part I need for the combine is an absolute bargain, I think I’ll order two.
• Yes, tell Sue and Roger that we’ll definitely be at their barbeque a week on Saturday.
• My overalls were really dusty so I’ve put them in the washing machine, remind me to hang them out – it’s a great drying day.
• Oh dear, it’s raining, never mind.
• Yes, by all means turn the TV over, it’s only the weather.
• I was going to combine the lower field tomorrow, but as it’s your birthday we’ll go out for the day instead.
FWi users have been adding their own suggestions on our website forums. Join the conversation.