OFFICIALS AT the National Fallen Stock Company are confident the scheme will start with the minimum of disturbance on Nov 22.

“There will always be a few teething problems but with some goodwill on all sides, we hope to have these issues resolved soon,” said Michael Seals, chairman of the NFSCo.

Mr Seals assured farmers there would be ample coverage in every area where the scheme would operate. “Every postcode has at least one collector,” he said.

This includes the Isle of Wight, which was without a collector last week (w/e Nov 12). “The hunt came back and said they could honour their original tender,” said Mr Seals.

Trading Standards officers, who will enforce animal health and welfare rules, said they foresaw no problems with farmers complying with the scheme, other than cost.

“We‘ll be taking a pragmatic approach, said Glenn Berry, animal welfare inspector with Somerset Trading Standards.

“But there will be a slightly different approach to those found dumping animals,” Mr Berry warned.

DEFRA confirmed it had asked the authorities to adopt a sympathetic approach during the delay in introducing the scheme, but it now expected them to investigate when necessary.

But Farmers For Action is angry at DEFRA‘s interpretation of the EU law which does not allow for a burial derogation in some inaccessible areas.

“Brussels produced a common-sense definition of an inaccessible area, and that didn‘t necessarily have to bear any relation to distance,” said FFA chairman David Handley.

“You can‘t say a dense forest, a bog or a mountain is an accessible area. You should be allowed to bury stock that fall in such places.

Subscriptions to the Fallen Stock Scheme costs £28 a year. On or after Monday, Nov 22, farmers can join by calling 0845 054 8888.