Three of this year’s Highland Show technical innovation awards have gone to the use of new technologies, including data-based livestock information, a scanning system for nitrogen application and auto-steering for tractors.
The silver medal awards are as follows:
- Squeeze crush, American Squeeze Crush Systems. Cattle handling system to suit any size or breed of cattle, including multiple access gates making typical operations safer and simpler.
- Innovent Technology suckler monitor. Allows suckler producers to access slaughter data from their animals without direct contact to the abattoir, helping them make informed decisions on genetics, management and health issues.
- Roundhouse cattle building, Roundhouse Building Solutions. Designed to allow one person to manage up to 150 cattle, safely and easily. The Roundhouse’s ventilation provides a near perfect atmosphere, reducing respiratory illness and the unique design blends well into the farmscape.
- CropCircle mapping and variable rate application system, Soil Essentials. Sensor system designed to scan crops and apply variable nitrogen rates to increase efficiency of the crop and reduce wastage.
- Soil Essentials’ Mojo RTK GPS. A new, cheaper entry into the agricultural tractor auto steer market. An additional eight sensor measurements provide superior terrain compensation.
Certificates of Commendation have been awarded to the following:
Dairymaster UK’s MooMonitor dairy cattle heat detector
Ecorider Ecoquad quad bike.
Paxton Agricultural polyethylene rust and rot proof drinking troughs
Solway Recycling sheep pen made from recycled farm plastic.