This year’s Tillage Live Event on 14 September at Landmead Farm, East Hanney, Abingdon, Oxfordshire will give farmers and contractors a great chance to see up to 100 drills, ploughs and cultivators from all the main manufacturers in action on more than 55ha (140 acres) of stubble.
So if you’re wondering what piece of kit to buy, this is the place to see it in action, compare it with rivals and quiz the makers.
But there’s more to the event than that. As well as moving to a one-show-a-year format, the event will change in other ways.
• A new demonstration arena where farmers and contractors can see a range of machines running one after the other. This is on top of the normal manufacturers’ plots.
• There will be four separate areas where heavy cultivators, light cultivators, ploughs and drills will make a pass on stubble or pre-ploughed land. This will then be left for the whole demonstration for visitors to view.
• Self-propelled sprayers from some 15 manufacturers will be available to drive and get a feel for the handling.
• A GPS and autosteer area will allow visitors to try out different systems.
• A blackgrass control area will offer advice on how to minimise the problem.
• Soil compaction – see graphically how different tyres and pressures make a difference.
• Controlled Traffic Farming – what’s it all about and what could it do for your soils?
• Slug control – how do you minimise the damage from this seemingly unstoppable pest?
• Container cleaning – a practical demonstration of the best advice and a chance to try your container rinsing skills.
When: 14 September 2011 8am to 3pm
Where: Landmead Farm, East Hanney, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX13 5PA, courtesy of H Walker and Son
More details: 08456 448748 or see the website
Cost: £10 a car on the gate or £7.50 a car booked in advance from the Tillage Live website