Ban on fur farming in Queens Speech
THE Queens Speech today is expected to include legislation banning fur farming, fulfilling a Labour promise made before the election.
The fur-farming bill is expected to herald the end of the UKs estimated 13 mink farms.
A private members bill was given an unopposed second reading by MPs in March. But time ran out for the bills report stage.
Other legislation to be announced today is expected to give ramblers the right to roam in the countryside.
- Private Bill to outlaw fur farming?, FWi, 24 February, 1999
- Mink stinks, says Government, FWi, 11 December, 1997
- The Times 17/11/99 page 2
- Financial Times 17/11/99 page 4
- The Guardian 17/11/99 page 15
- The Daily Telegraph 17/11/99 page 2 (News Bulletin)