Banana war postponed
EUROPEAN exporters targeted by the USA for punitive duties today over the European Unions banana import regime have won a temporary reprieve.
The move postpones the threat of a prohibitive taxes on certain imports, including pig meat, until March.
Brussels will now begin talks with Washington on the European Unions arrangements for importing bananas, which favour African, Caribbean and Pacific countries.
- European firms fear banana-war fallout, FWi, 29 January, 1999
- Compromise in banana battle?, FWi, 25 January, 1999
- EU raises stakes in banana war, FWi, 22 January, 1999
- USA seeks sanctions in banana war, FWi, 15 January, 1999
- Financial Times 01/02/99 page 5, page 16 (Letters)