Bananas WTO steps in
ARBITRATORS from the World Trade Organisation (WTO) have asked the European Union (EU) and the USA for more information before they rule on the transatlantic banana dispute.
The request means that swingeing tariffs that the USA had this week been due to put on EU imports are unlikely to be sanctioned in the WTO, diplomats said.
Arbitrators had been due to rule on how much US firms might have lost because of the EUs policy of favouring bananas from former European colonies.
- WTO to examine banana battle, FWi, 01 March, 1999
- USA and EU go bananas again, FWi, 22 February, 1999
- EU seeks ruling on US sanctions law, FWi, 08 February, 1999
- The Times 03/03/02/99 page 22 (Business Roundup)
- Financial Times 03/03/99 page 6
- The Guardian 03/03/99 page 22