Beet disease hits Tate & Lyle
DISEASE in the sugar-beet crop hit Tate & Lyles US sugar profits.
Group operating profits for the year to 26 September sunk to £217 million from £277m, on turnover down to £4.47bn from £4.65bn.
Pre-tax profits rose from £159m to £165m.
The company reported improved prices for high fructose corn syrup but said these were still below acceptable levels.
It said that, in Europe, better sugar profits were offset by substantially lower starch profits.
- The Times 26/11/98 page 31, page 31 (Tempus)
- The Independent 26/11/98 page 24
- Financial Times 26/11/98 page 25
- The Guardian 26/11/98 page 27 (News in Brief)
- The Daily Telegraph 26/11/98 page 41
- The Herald 26/11/98 page 24